Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best & Cheapest Jeeps/Pickups

Options
  • 29-06-2015 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi Everyone.. iv a tricky question to ask.. I'm looking for reasonabley priced jeep both to buy, run & tax and one that is capable of pulling a horsebox. (Probably impossible 2 get all four criteria) my father needs a new jeep, he is out of work at the moment but did work as a builder and likes something such as a jeep or pickup that has space in the back to carry equipment etc, or saddles etc when I'm towing horses. We don't have a vat number so can't avail of commercial tax, and private tax is crippling. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance, Shannon. X

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

ItsShannon wrote: »
    Hi Everyone.. iv a tricky question to ask.. I'm looking for reasonabley priced jeep both to buy, run & tax and one that is capable of pulling a horsebox. (Probably impossible 2 get all four criteria) my father needs a new jeep, he is out of work at the moment but did work as a builder and likes something such as a jeep or pickup that has space in the back to carry equipment etc, or saddles etc when I'm towing horses. We don't have a vat number so can't avail of commercial tax, and private tax is crippling. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance, Shannon. X

find something with a fair bit of tax left on it as a commercial and plenty of DOE. realistically 4x4s are not cheap to run or own, and your entry point to buying is pretty much about 2000 euro. towing horse boxes you'd want something 2.5 litre upwards so your private tax would be 1000 a year ish.

My suggestion would be a 2004-2006 kia sorento. 2.5 , reliable, can be bought for 3-4k in those years, lot of features on them and nice to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

Have you a herd number op? If so it'll be easier to get it registered as a commercial with your local tax office.
    The 2.8 mk 2 pajero can be got at handy enough money. The pre 02 type landcruiser is another great contender and there still seems to be a few clean looked after ones around. Hilux, but I personally think they're over priced and over rated.
    Almost forgot the ford ranger, just as good as any hilux and possibly better. Has everything going for it really. I'd put the ranger top of the pile for your needs. Only downside to the ranger is it's geared a little low for motorway driving but they're nuke proof

• Registered Users Posts: 13,271 ✭✭✭✭fits

Would a van make more sense in your situation.?

I have a Sorrento. Its brill but wouldn't wish to do high mileage in it.

fits wrote: »
    Would a van make more sense in your situation.?

I have a Sorrento. Its brill but wouldn't wish to do high mileage in it.
    The sorrento is rated highly. Is it not comfortable?

kay 9 wrote: »
    The sorrento is rated highly. Is it not comfortable?

i put 60,000 miles onto one in 2 years and it was a very comfy machine to drive. you'd barely feel a 1 tonne trailer on it either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,271 ✭✭✭✭fits

Its plenty comfortable but its a 4x4 so heavy on diesel. (28-30mpg). I'm towing a lot less than I used to so might try something smaller when ever I replace it. Which won't be any time soon)

fits wrote: »
    Its plenty comfortable but its a 4x4 so heavy on diesel. (28-30mpg). I'm towing a lot less than I used to so might try something smaller when ever I replace it. Which won't be any time soon)
    Ah ok. Thought they weren't that thirsty tbh. Not great for a 2.5. My 3.2 pajero does that. The manual used to do 30-32.

i put 60,000 miles onto one in 2 years and it was a very comfy machine to drive. you'd barely feel a 1 tonne trailer on it either.
    Yeah they're supposed to be pretty bullet proof and a nice driver

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭IH784man

Our 07 dmax has over 300,000km on her and she's going like a clock,gets a full tank of diesel a week and will take you into next Monday for about 70 euro for about 650km a week driving.Does a bit of towing a few times a week.Ours could do with a remapping to give it a bit more of a poke.But still a great jeep.

IH784man wrote: »
    Our 07 dmax has over 300,000km on her and she's going like a clock,gets a full tank of diesel a week and will take you into next Monday for about 70 euro for about 650km a week driving.Does a bit of towing a few times a week.Ours could do with a remapping to give it a bit more of a poke.But still a great jeep.

currently own a 2010 one and can't fault it , I don't think these get as cheap as the OP would like but a decent suggestion.

• Advertisement

Depends,if you keep a lookout on donedeal you will eventually find a good one cheap enough.

Advertisement