Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need advice on what gaming headset to get my son.

Options
  • 21-12-2012 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    I'm hoping you can help even tho it's a bit late in the day.
    My son asked for astro a40's for christmas which I got second hand, well they were meant to be nearly new but they turned out not to be working, thank god I had them checked before christmas morning.
    Anyway it's too late to order them online and I don't think they can be got in any shops in Dublin. I'm looking at all the different ones available and getting a bit confused :confused:
    He needs them for PS3 and the PC. Anyone know of ones that are like the a40's but can be bought in a shop in Dublin.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

I have the turtle beach P11's and they're pretty good. no idea how they compare to the a40's though. you should be able to buy them in game or any good shop that sells gaming stuff. can be used on ps3 and pc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

is this a present from santa or from yourself?

if it's from yourself you could maybe order them online and just explain the situation to him. im sure he'll be happy to be getting what he asked for in a few days and will appreciate the effort

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭greenheart

Thanks going to have a look at them now.
    Do you know if you can move the steam file onto another hard drive? He has steam on an ssd and its only 64gb so he has to delete his games all the time.
    He has a second drive but we don't know how to move steam over or even if it can be done.

is this a present from santa or from yourself?

if it's from yourself you could maybe order them online and just explain the situation to him. im sure he'll be happy to be getting what he asked for in a few days and will appreciate the effort

Well it's a christmas present, he doesn't believe in santa anymore but would like to have them for him christmas morning.
    I suppose I could ask him, if he really wants them he won't mind waiting.

greenheart wrote: »
    Thanks going to have a look at them now.
    Do you know if you can move the steam file onto another hard drive? He has steam on an ssd and its only 64gb so he has to delete his games all the time.
    He has a second drive but we don't know how to move steam over or even if it can be done.

there is a way but it might be a bit fiddly for him if he's young, it's an option in the current steam beta so once that's released as a proper version he'll have the option to install games wherever he wants

• Advertisement

I have the turtle beach P11's and they're pretty good. no idea how they compare to the a40's though. you should be able to buy them in game or any good shop that sells gaming stuff. can be used on ps3 and pc

Do you know what the difference is with the P11's and the PX21's?

px21 will work on ps3/xbox/pc and px11 won't i think

think the px21 has a couple of other features too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

Do you know what the difference is with the P11's and the PX21's?

p11's are for ps3 or pc only, the px21's are for ps3, pc and xbox. surround sound built into the px21 and all in all have a better quality of sound. the p11 is your basic headset, chat and listen and a basic type of surround sound in it so you can hear if someone is to your left or right.

p11
    Amplified audio – Get an earful of top quality sound.
    Bass boost – Gives your audio a kick in the you-know-what.
    Microphone monitoring – Love the sound of your own voice? Now you can hear it in your headset.
    Independent chat volume control – Hear as much or as little of your teammates as you’d like.
    USB Powered – Want to mess with an AC adapter? Yeah, we didn’t think so.

px21
    The PX21 is two headsets in one—a stereo USB headset for chat sound and an amplified stereo headset for game sound. That means you can independently control chat and game sound from a single control box whether you’re playing PS3, XBOX® or PC games. Large, comfortable ear cups with a lightweight, rugged design provide the ultimate in comfort during extended game play.

The PX21 gives you a significant advantage because you can hear sound cues others can’t, so you’ll react faster and take them out before they take you out. Unique gaming features such as variable bass boost, chat boost, stereo expander and convenient volume controls for chat and game audio, provide a competitive edge that can make the difference between winning and losing.

Thanks guys, think I'll go for the PX 21's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Moving steam folder:

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7418-YUBN-8129

Follow the steps precisiely and you'll be grand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Thanks guys, think I'll go for the PX 21's.

There a lot of people myself included who have had these and there's a terrible hiss even on low volume.

What I'm using now is a Sony Pulse and a Creative recon3d to get it going on the 360 and get surround on the PC.
    The pulse is €60 in HMV and the recon3d is €60 to €100 depending if you could find it.

The pulse work on the pc out of the box but with the recon3d you get Dolby headphone for virtual surround sound.

Varik wrote: »
    There a lot of people myself included who have had these and there's a terrible hiss even on low volume.

What I'm using now is a Sony Pulse and a Creative recon3d to get it going on the 360 and get surround on the PC.
    The pulse is €60 in HMV and the recon3d is €60 to €100 depending if you could find it.

The pulse work on the pc out of the box but with the recon3d you get Dolby headphone for virtual surround sound.

After your suggestion and reading up on them I decided to go for the pulse but with my luck I couldn't get them anywhere, they were sold out of Hmv and Gamestop (even tho they were €100 dearer I was still going to get them)
    So after all the running around I end up getting a pair of Afterglows from gamestop.
    I hate buying something without looking at reviews etc but the guy in gamestop assured me they were just as good as the sony pulse.
    I don't know if they are or not but I'm just glad to have a pair.

Thanks for your help guys. Boards is always first place I come when I need some info, saved me two christmas's in a row :D

Advertisement