Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kingfishers

Options
  • 27-05-2010 8:25pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 328 ✭✭

Hi I'm looking to photograph kingfishers and I was wondering does anyone know any good sites. I live in Dublin so the Leinster region would be spot on. Anyway cheers hope someone can help
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

thefly wrote: »
    Hi I'm looking to photograph kingfishers and I was wondering does anyone know any good sites. I live in Dublin so the Leinster region would be spot on. Anyway cheers hope someone can help
    Booterstown marsh has them, small site so you should see them......

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 328 ✭✭thefly

Sweet nice one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Shouldn't have thought you would see many of them at Booterstown marsh in the breeding season. When they are there what on earth do they eat - traffic cones and shopping trollies?

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭muckish

Plenty of Kingfishers in Ramelton village in Co.Donegal. Bit far for you, but if you're ever up this direction you now know where to go. Good luck. What photo kit will you be using?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

Dodder Valley Linear park has a few! Basically if you drive to Morton's Pub, The Firhouse Inn on the Firhouse Road, behind that there is a big weir on the river Dodder. If you get there nice and early, about 7am, you'll see Kingfishers darting along in the background. I have seen a few over the last week or two. You might need to go to the opposite bank to get some peace and quiet as it is also a great place to walk dogs off lead and this spot attracts lot's of them for a swim as it's nice and deep. Happy hunting!

http://parks.southdublin.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=92&Itemid=153

• Advertisement

Dodder Valley Linear park has a few! Basically if you drive to Morton's Pub, The Firhouse Inn on the Firhouse Road, behind that there is a big weir on the river Dodder. If you get there nice and early, about 7am, you'll see Kingfishers darting along in the background. I have seen a few over the last week or two. You might need to go to the opposite bank to get some peace and quiet as it is also a great place to walk dogs off lead and this spot attracts lot's of them for a swim as it's nice and deep. Happy hunting!

http://parks.southdublin.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=92&Itemid=153

Ha lovely, I live in Knocklyon. I know exactly where your talking about

muckish wrote: »
    Plenty of Kingfishers in Ramelton village in Co.Donegal. Bit far for you, but if you're ever up this direction you now know where to go. Good luck. What photo kit will you be using?

30D and 70-200mm Canon 2.8 L series.

Donegal, a lovely part of Ireland. Gives me a great excuse to visit again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Smartypantsdig

I have seen them on the Liffey down at Islandbridge on a few days in a row a some years back. I don't know if they would still be there.

The Dodder at Beaver Row in Clonskeagh too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Saw one at Lock 1 on the canal outside Prosperous towards Naas. Good for Heron on that stretch. Quite tame.

Advertisement