Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Your Top Games Of 2012**

Options
  • 23-12-2012 10:23pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 280 ✭✭

Well, that's it another year...

As an aside, throw in your favourites from '11 too.

1. SKYRIM
    2. BATTLEFIELD3
    3. PORTAL 2
    (Never played MineCraft).

1. FAR CRY 3
    2. HALO 4
    3. DISHONORED
    4. ASSASSINS CREED 3

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Skyrim.
    Deus Ex.
    Portal 2.

Dishonored
    Far Cry 3
    Max Payne 3.

Bought but not played the Walking Dead yet, from what I have seen I'm sure it would be up there if I had.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

1) Little Big Planet Vita - The game that finally delivered on Little Big Planet's promise. With touch screen controls, creating your own levels is a breeze and a hell of a lot of fun.

2) Mass Effect 3 - Sod the ending, this was a great game. Some great story telling (the Geth and Quorian story conclusion is my gaming moment of the year) and great gameplay.

3) New Star Soccer - Possibly the one game I've spent the most time playing this year. Like all great IOS games it's premise is simple and it's a couple of gameplay actions refined to perfection.

4) Halo 4 - Still great online after all these years and still the best online console shooter. With forge and the customisation options it's closer to a PC shooter than anything on conoles.

5) Hybrid - Probably the most underated game of the year. A 3 on 3 squad based online shooter. Using a cover mechanic and forcing you to fly from cover point to cover point, it does away with a lot of the tropes of online shooters and distills the gameplay down to a perfectly balanced and weighted shooter.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,734 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Mass effect 3
    XCOM:Enemy Unknown
    WH40K Spacemarine
    FTL
    Torchlight 2

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Gotta be the 3rd or 4th time i've done a top 3 for 2012...

Dark souls
    Deus Ex
    Portal 2 / Terraria

CS:GO
    Diablo 3
    Guildwars 2 (Although i got bored once i reached max level, it was still fun etc)

Lots of really awesome indie games im enjoying atm tho... just not finished them or anything yet so kinda hard to put them as my favs just yet.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

2011:
    WH40k Space Marine
    Portal 2
    Pokemon Black/White
    Skyrim
    Minecraft

2012:
    Pokemon Black 2/White 2
    Borderlands 2
    CS:GO

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,869 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I've found most of this years games bored me or I was too broke to afford them so ended up playing a lot of older games. Hands down the best game I played from this year though was Journey. What an amazing experience.

As for the best game I played this year that wasn't Journey, it would be a toss up between Phantasy Star 4 and Etrian Odyssey. One is an RPG for the Megadrive that beats every RPG on the SNES that isn't Earthbound and the other is an amazing modernisation of first person dungeon crawlers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,162 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Journey and (to an admittedly lesser degree) Dear Esther were this year's most exciting new experiences. Games built entirely on atmosphere, narrative, mystery and discovery - sure, the interactivity at the core wasn't as robust as we're used to, but there was something so brave and beautiful about these short but perfectly considered experiences. They evoked emotions that I've felt with cinema and literature, but rarely with games. Can't wait to see others build on the foundations of these games. In a medium where sheer bulk of content is often considered a positive, that these two games resonated so strongly and yet only lasted tops two hours was a great achievement.

Meanwhile, in the world of games with more robust, complex game systems.. Dishonored was a joy, with an intriguing world and mechanics that achieved a perfect hybrid between old school mecahnics and innovative ideas (<3 Blink so much). Shame it ran out of creative steam in the last hour, mind :( Kid Icarus Uprising was a terrific upgrade of on-rail shooters and a nearly forgotten hero, once your hand grew sufficiently claw-like of course. I've only began to delve into the depths of Spelunky, but its already looking like a beautiful timesink. Akai Katana was a joy. And, once again, the indies triumphed with the likes of Super Brothers: Sword and Sorcery EP and Thomas Was Alone. And while I think Telltale need to be more ambitious with the actual 'playing' part of their games, The Walking Dead told a terrific, surprisingly emotive story. I'm watching the TV show at the moment, and its staggering how superior the game is overall. A proud moment for interactive fiction, no doubt!

Oh, and not to forget that little app of joy known as Super Hexagon. One more go...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

1. Super Hexagon.

2. Journey.

3. Lone Survivor.

Runner-up awards to Skullgirls and Superbrothers: Swords & Sorcery EP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

1. Mass Effect 3
    2. Assassin's Creed III
    3. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Serious lack of The Walking Dead in this thread. Probably my game of the year. Honourable mentions for Far Cry 3, FTL, and Mass Effect 3.

My favourite gaming experience of the year is DayZ though. Absolutely fantastic fun, and i've never been as worried in a game. It lost some of it's appeal once everyone started killing everyone, but it was still great. Never forget the first time i saw another player, and both of us just slowly backed away with our guns pointed at each other. Got around a corner and bloody legged it. Bloody brilliant :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

My top games in no particular order.
    Downloadable : Journey, fez, the unfinished swan, walking dead, I am alive, trials HD

Full release: medal of honor, mass effect 3, borderlands 2, dishonoured, x com, far cry 3, darkness 2.

Dlc : bf3 aftermath, moh zero dark thirty. Lbp 2 cross control vita/ ps3 cross over.

Mobile : Simpsons tapped out, fragger. Lbp vita.

Pretty great year this year one of the best for a long time. Really great mix of innovative small games with blockbuster titles too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

1. Little Big Planet (Vita)
    2. Far Cry 3 (PC)
    3. Rayman (Vita)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Well from the ones released this year I guess these will be the most fun ( if you can call sadisim fun! )

Dark souls PC
    Xcom PC
    Walking dead PC

The most played games would be:

EVE online PC
    BF3 PC
    Diablo 3 PC

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

pretty sure I only bought x-com, far cry and dishonored this year

not really feeling dishonored but...
    x-com
    far cry 3
    dishonored

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Favourite game of the year has to be Journey, hands down.

Outside of that, well there was a good few. In no particular order...
    Thomas Was Alone
    Dishonored
    Dustforce
    Borderlands 2
    The Unfinished Swan
    Max Payne 3
    Spelunky
    Binary Domain
    Hotline Miami
    Darksiders II
    Mark of the Ninja
    Mass Effect 3

I've yet to play X-Com and Far Cry 3 though so I'm sure they'll feature when I get around to them after Christmas.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 280 ✭✭Yousef

Kiith wrote: »
    My favourite gaming experience of the year is DayZ though. Absolutely fantastic fun, and i've never been as worried in a game. It lost some of it's appeal once everyone started killing everyone, but it was still great. Never forget the first time i saw another player, and both of us just slowly backed away with our guns pointed at each other. Got around a corner and bloody legged it. Bloody brilliant :D

DayZ is UNBELIEVABLE.

Everytime you play, you come away with a drastically different story and experience. Last night I played it for the first time. Spawned on the beach and heard a bike. Next thing a guy passes me on a bike so I typed to him whether he was friendly...he said yes, came closer and then out of nowhere somebody started shooting at him. I seen everything, the guy drove off. He told me to stop shooting at him and that he was coming back to kill me. Between all this, I just said "**** this" and legged it into the forest.... :pac:

It's a game that plays on your nerves. You just can't trust anyone at all...paranoia sets in quick and very few games gave me that feeling. Probably the last game I played with such an atmosphere was the S.T.A.L.K.E.R games.

If anyone hasn't played DayZ yet, pick it up on Steam right now...it's only a few quid in the sale....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

2011:
    1. LittleBigPlanet 2
    2. Minecraft
    3. Battlefield 3

2012:
    1. The Walking Dead
    2. DayZ
    3. LittleBigPlanet (Vita)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,890 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

1. Planetside 2
    2. Nuclear Dawn
    3. Battlefield 3

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭Corvo

Looking to spend a €50 quid voucher for Gamestop tomorrow.

Any suggestions? I have a 360 but I am not online at the moment so something with a decent offline side.

Just finished Hitman and I have Assassins Creed Revelations to get through before I go for the third. So maybe Far Cry 3?

far cry 3 is very good

x-com is fantastic too, great game and really scratches that "feeling of accomplishment" itch every time you beat a mission without losing anybody

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭Corvo

far cry 3 is very good

x-com is fantastic too, great game and really scratches that "feeling of accomplishment" itch every time you beat a mission without losing anybody

Just watched a few clips of X-com and it looks fantastic. My sort of game.

Many thanks. Think I will opt for that. Will I get 15-20hrs from it?

i would imagine at least

play it on normal for a couple of missions just to get a feel for the game and the controls, then start a new game on ironman normal

with ironman, you can't save the game.. the game autosaves itself. so if you lose a squad or a mission, you can't reload and un-do it. it's the only way to play x-com really it makes it very tense as if you lose a colonel or a major, it can **** your entire game plan up and turn everything into **** for the future.

once you've beaten the game on ironman normal, try beating it on ironman classic.

try....

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

i would imagine at least

play it on normal for a couple of missions just to get a feel for the game and the controls, then start a new game on ironman normal

with ironman, you can't save the game.. the game autosaves itself. so if you lose a squad or a mission, you can't reload and un-do it. it's the only way to play x-com really it makes it very tense as if you lose a colonel or a major, it can **** your entire game plan up and turn everything into **** for the future.

once you've beaten the game on ironman normal, try beating it on ironman classic.

try....

iron man is the only way to play this fantastic game. i jumped in to ironman from start and i am 15 hours in. i found it very easy so far, but i did had few losses, but i always stick 1-2 rookies in to main squad to level up.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

1.Battlefield 3 - Didn't play anything else as far as I remember :P

1. DayZ Mod
    2. Diablo 3
    3. Planetside 2

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Dragons dogma
    Guild wars 2
    Far cry 3

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,869 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I totally forgot about Beat the Beat: Rhythm Paradise. That game was superb!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

It was a quiet year for me on the games front. Aside from the latest incarnation of FM, my two stand-out games were Crusader Kings II and Hotline Miami. Two games that probably couldn't be more different yet both examples of delivering great game design and, in very different ways, fantastic storytelling

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

Mass effect 3 : as stated before, the ending isnt great, but the rest of it is.... especially the multiplayer, I still play that every week.
    Planetside 2 : would have said bf3 before i played this last june, just blows bf3 outta the water in terms of scale.

Advertisement