Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N59 Save Clydagh Bridge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,542 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

This scheme was approved by ABP ages ago, and work started six months ago on the scheme. Did none of the locals bother to find out what was planned?

It was mentioned multiple times in the media. I don't live there, have little interest in the scheme, and even I had heard that the bridge was to be knocked..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

Thats shocking and saddening, where is An Taisce??

D Trent wrote: »
    https://www.facebook.com/GalwayAdvertiser/posts/10153648059196941
    Please show your support in saving Clydagh Bridge, built in 1829.
    This week, Galway CoCo will attempt to demolish what is an iconic and historic bridge that is completely SAFE, and carried tens of thousands of vehicles each day up until last week !
    Thank you https://www.facebook.com/pages/Save-clydagh-bridge/509331495901074

Sigh, this is what pisses me off most about development of infrastructure in Ireland.

Full details would have been published at the time of public consultation for anyone to express views and make changes to the plans.

Now people are suddenly "surprised" just because they can't be arsed to get involved when their opinions are sought.

On a side note, I look forward to the implementation of the dislike button on Facebook

D Trent wrote: »
    https://www.facebook.com/GalwayAdvertiser/posts/10153648059196941
    Please show your support in saving Clydagh Bridge, built in 1829.
    This week, Galway CoCo will attempt to demolish what is an iconic and historic bridge that is completely SAFE, and carried tens of thousands of vehicles each day up until last week !
    Thank you https://www.facebook.com/pages/Save-clydagh-bridge/509331495901074

Sigh, this is what pisses me off most about development of infrastructure in Ireland.

Full details would have been published at the time of public consultation for anyone to express views and make changes to the plans.

Now people are suddenly "surprised" just because they can't be arsed to get involved when their opinions are sought.

On a side note, I look forward to the implementation of the dislike button on Facebook

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

The leading question I would ask before making further comment, is there a flooding issue associated with this bridge, if there is, then sorry, I don't care how ancient it is, the well being and safety of people and their properties has to come before ancient architecture, the only possible exception being if the properties at risk were built without planning approval.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭McAlban

This is a Long Running Campaign in which the residents of Moycullen have used a lot of tactics (including intimidation of local landowners) to prevent this inner relief road from being built.

Usual Propaganda on that website. Planning Granted in 2006. In the Development Plan since 2005. They knew damn well it was coming they've been objecting to it for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Flyingsolo

according to Galway Bay fm newsroom – "Galway county council say a public consultation was held three years ago about the bridge in Moycullen which is now the location of a public protest
    In a statement to Galway Bay fm news official Liam Gavin says people were aware of the planning process and the proposed works at Clydagh Bridge
    Mr Gavin says the replacement of the bridge formed a large part of the discussions of the 3 day An Bord Pleanala oral hearing in 2012"

interesting!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,847 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

from the bord planana decision, which was formed after all the public meetings and 100s of submission
    http://seankyne.ie/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Moycullen-An-Bord-Pleanala-decision.pdf
    The proposed Lough Kip River Bridge, which will replace an existing bridge
    structure over the Lough Kip River at Chainage 4430 m, shall be finished in
    stone. The stone used shall, insofar as possible, incorporate the salvaged stone
    from the existing bridge to be demolished to facilitate the proposed road
    development.
    Reason: In the interest of protecting the setting of the existing mill structure
    adjoining the bridge and river.

so they are doing lots to ensure that the bridge fits in with the surroundings.
    Not that maybe you'd want to have everything kept as it is currently in that area.... seeing how it looks 100m down the road
    https://goo.gl/Y3Hs0v

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭corasam

really, you cant argue that its not a beautiful spot despite the pic u posted further down the road.

the report u quoted makes no mention of it being replaced with an entirely different structure. the sketch of a single arch only came into the public domain this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭corasam

there is a fatal flaw in the system if all of the local residents were unaware such a huge change was to take place in their locale, yes we knew about the realignment of the n59, but not that a historic and fully functioning bridge was to be replaced with an entirely different structure. I'm not personally in the practice of reviewing these types of plans but the detail was far from forthcoming. Our local representatives failed us here. They failed to highlight and inform us of this significant change, and they failed to fight for a better solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,847 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

corasam wrote: »
    really, you cant argue that its not a beautiful spot despite the pic u posted further down the road.

the report u quoted makes no mention of it being replaced with an entirely different structure. the sketch of a single arch only came into the public domain this week.
    the report I quoted says the bridge is to be demolished and replaced with a stone faced new bridge using stones from the old bridge as much as possible to help blend in with the adjacent mill.

its a national road and the lives of people using it is simply more important than a bridge which has now outlived its useefulness

I remember the building of the Shannon Erne canal and thinking that there was weirs and old locks being demolished and what a sad and regrettable thing it was to loose the originals, but in the end what was rebuilt was done using the original reclaimed stones (abeit the flood defences were more a concrete affair) and overall the end result was way more pleasant than I thought possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

corasam wrote: »
    there is a fatal flaw in the system if all of the local residents were unaware such a huge change was to take place in their locale, yes we knew about the realignment of the n59, but not that a historic and fully functioning bridge was to be replaced with an entirely different structure. I'm not personally in the practice of reviewing these types of plans but the detail was far from forthcoming. Our local representatives failed us here. They failed to highlight and inform us of this significant change, and they failed to fight for a better solution.
    A little bit of personal responsibility would go along way here. You failed you here, by not finding out what was planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,542 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Did they actually manage to demolish it this week, I gather they have to stop work for the spawning season soon.

Did they actually manage to demolish it this week, I gather they have to stop work for the spawning season soon.

Yeah, it went ahead

http://connachttribune.ie/bridge-levelled-despite-protests-468/

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

I had a quick look at the protesters' facebook page and sorry but what a pile of bollocks.
    Seriously, how people can get so upset about some random stone bridge??? WTF?

Admittedly I'm not familiar with the area but presumably there were all the consultations done etc. At the end of day bridge is a civil engineering structure not some kind of monument where look is the most important factor. Safety, cost of its upkeep etc surely must come first. If it is not up to scratch then sorry but it has to go.

And some of the posts on their page are just over-dramatic. Are they bored? Have nothing better to do in their lives?

One of the comments: "We live in dictatorship"

Seriously???

Advertisement