Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bottle cage rattling

Options
  • 24-04-2015 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,294 ✭✭✭

My down tube bottle cage has started to rattle when a full bottle of water is in it on slightly bumpy roads (pretty much everwhere)
    I have tightened the screws as much as I can but it still happen.

It's very annoying when you are trying to enjoy the scenery and of course embarrassing when I pass a fellow cyclist

Anyone any ideas on how to stop it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭sham58107

what is it made from? you could try tightening the neck end if you can,or some tape on top corners,is it cage or bottle?.if cage is tight then bottle is rattling so either bend cage to fit or try tape on grips.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭JBokeh

Does the bottle top part rattle off the top tube? My carbon cage has gone a bit weak and the bottle hops up and down, hitting the top tube, I fixed it by sticking a dab of numberplate tape off the car onto the bottom of the top tube, so it doesn't make a clang, but more of a dull tapping noise.

Otherwise what you can do is put spring washers under the bottle cage, but be careful you don't over tighten the bolts as they're most likely soft alu, threaded into more soft alu

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭sham58107

Yeah thats the type of tape I meant and try a little around area where cage grips bottle

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭J Madone

JBokeh wrote: »
    Does the bottle top part rattle off the top tube? My carbon cage has gone a bit weak and the bottle hops up and down, hitting the top tube, I fixed it by sticking a dab of numberplate tape off the car onto the bottom of the top tube, so it doesn't make a clang, but more of a dull tapping noise.

Otherwise what you can do is put spring washers under the bottle cage, but be careful you don't over tighten the bolts as they're most likely soft alu, threaded into more soft alu

If its hitting the top tube time for a new bike!

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭disco1

Lots of poorly designed cages rattle no matter what you do.

I use elite pria pave which have a dial which adjusts the tightness .was the only one that worked for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,294 ✭✭✭dunworth1

I bent the in in a bit this morning had it seems to have helped a bit

I might have a look and see if there's any on sale on wiggle.

Advertisement