Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Helmet for € 100- any suggestions?

• 21-04-2015 11:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

I need a new lid. Budget of around 100. I don't know a whole pile about the makeup of higher spec helmets tbh but I'd like something with a cradle inside as opposed to just polystyrene and sweat pads (if such a helmet exists that is close to my budget)
    Suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

lidl doing 2 types of helmet next week: http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?id=470

might be just the polystyrene and sweat pad ones that you don't want though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

It might be cheaper to buy from UK and get the item sent via parcel motel. (Cheaper as no VAT is charged on them there).
    Have I just made that up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

It might be cheaper to buy from UK and get the item sent via parcel motel. (Cheaper as no VAT is charged on them there).
    Have I just made that up?

No, you're right but sterling is killing any saving right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭KAZ0077

Try your local Halfords, last I saw they were selling off the Catlike helmets for a steal €25 or so for lids usually costing €90-€100.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Slydice wrote:
    might be just the polystyrene and sweat pad ones that you don't want though

Slydice wrote:
    lidl doing 2 types of helmet next week:

Could those helmets be trusted though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,804 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

dunworth1 wrote: »
    Could those helmets be trusted though?

Anything sold as a bicycle helmet has to pass the relevant European standard (EN1078). This is basically putting 5kg into the helmet and dropping it 1.5m onto an anvil. A pass is when the liner compresses but does not crack.

You can pay a few hundred euro and you won't get any more protection than that. The manufacturers by and large aim to pass that test and nothing more (in terms of safety: they compete on looks and ventilation and so on).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

KAZ0077 wrote: »
    Try your local Halfords, last I saw they were selling off the Catlike helmets for a steal €25 or so for lids usually costing €90-€100.

Was in halfords at the weekend, the Catlike display was cleared out. I'd say they are waiting on new stock.

Anyone got any views on Giro Atmos?

http://www.salden.nl/en/clothing/head/helmets/giro-atmos-ii-helm.html

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭YeahOK

Daroxtar wrote: »

Yes, I have one of these, very comfy, plenty of air ventilation. Can't go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Farloo

I bought the Atmos a few weeks ago and have used it in a few races. Its light, looks good and is fairly comfortable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

If you can get a kask helmet I would the monitor and vertigo are very good quality with the later being a slightly better quality (I think the difference is a leather strap and padding inside). I have a vertigo and it's very comfortable I got it when they had an amnesty.

The atmos is also very good probably not as comfortable but a nice looking lid.

Spiuk do nice lids also but I think they're on the smaller side if you've a bug noggin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    If you can get a kask helmet I would the monitor and vertigo are very good quality with the later being a slightly better quality (I think the difference is a leather strap and padding inside). I have a vertigo and it's very comfortable I got it when they had an amnesty.

The atmos is also very good probably not as comfortable but a nice looking lid.

Spiuk do nice lids also but I think they're on the smaller side if you've a bug noggin.

+1 on the Kask, I picked up a K50 a year ago for about €100 and it's very comfortable, will be upgrading to a Vertigo or higher sometime in the future.

Agreed that Spiuk do nice looking lids, but my big head couldn't fit inside their size large :o

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭wuzziwig

I bought a Spiuk last week and I have a pretty big head (plus lots of hair!!). The M/L fits me perfectly. It's a really comfortable helmet with loads of ventilation and it sits on your head properly.

I was out cycling at the weekend with a guy that had just bought a Lidl helmet. He was sweating like a pig as the ventilation was crap in it.

Edited to add: it cost €80.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭markusz

can't go wrong with a kask K50 / 50nta. 90 euro delivered

http://www.swimcyclerun.com/helmets/kask-k50-helmet.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭omri

check my post in adverts section I have barely use uvex for sale and I'm open to offers

Ok, tried on a pile of helmets today and the 2 that fit my odd shaped head best are the Giro Synthe and the Giro Air Attack. I can't afford the Synthe, Air Attack can be got for around the 100 ish.
    I like the look of the Air Attack even though, or perhaps because, it's unconventional.
    I also really like the feel of it. Anyone have one? Any reason why you would or wouldn't buy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I think that helmet is designed as an aero helmet so might get a little hot during the summer months other than that it wouldn't be my favourite in the looks department.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭TiBoy

Daroxtar wrote: »
    ...Air Attack can be got for around the 100 ish.

Hi, where did you see the air attack for close to a hundred? I'm interested in one myself.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭fondriest

TiBoy wrote: »
    Hi, where did you see the air attack for close to a hundred? I'm interested in one myself.

Thanks

Sorry to butt in , I got one last week for 97 sterling on Evans cycles , it was the cheapest I could find after a bit of looking

Math Salden, €99.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,534 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Post deleted

If you have something to sell we have a Cycling Adverts sub-forum - do not use the main forum

Advertisement