Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Steel frame and irish weather

• 24-04-2015 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi,

I'm thinking about buying a bike for commuting and touring and was thinking about buying one with a steel frame. What I don't know and am concerned about is, how the steel frame will react with irish weather. You don’t see a lot of steel frames around here and I also asked a bike dealer about it and he said that he thinks it’s a bad idea because it will rust pretty soon.

I don't think that I will commute with the bike while it's pouring rain but weather changes are possible and it will get some rain.

So how are the experiences with steel frames in ireland? Is it something you wouldn’t recommend or is it fine if you take care of the bike?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭Brendan Hennessy

Hi Lukair,

I have my steel framed Bianchi since 1990 - while it's never been left out in the rain it has certainly seen many wet days! The country is awash with old steel bikes which have equally been 'awashed' in their day. I would have no fear as long as you take care of the bike. Enjoy your shopping!

Brendan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭darkvalley

I have a steel framed bike which is my wet weather bike, mainly due to it's ability to take proper mudguards. A steel frame shouldn't have any difficulties with the irish weather if it gets a reasonable amount of maintenance and looking after. By that I mean don't store it outside in the rain and deal with any chips to paint or scratches from falls etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

No problem at all, as long as you won't keep it outside.

I have a steel frame with 10000km on the clock and it hasn't rusted.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

My steel Raleigh from 1990 is still being used by a friend and going strong, possibly the best wearing material for Irish conditions.

On the other hand, my other bike (4 year old) has aluminium frame and there is white corrosion "dust" on all exposed metal bits - bolts, some scratches...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I have a very elderly steel bike and he's fine in rain, hail and snow. Wash the salt and grit off them and they're fine. Previous to him I had another elderly steel Raleigh that spent most of her life outside and the frame is in perfect nick. No bother with steel and Irish weather!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 lukair

Thanks for all your answers. I guess I will go ahead and go shopping for a steel bike :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Worth using a rust inhibitor (such as Frame Saver or Waxoyl) to coat the inside of the tubing as water will get into the frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 lukair

Regarding the rust inhibitor, is this not something the manufacturer of the bike does before selling the bike? Will the normal bike store do that for me (where I buy the bike from)?

Spraying with WD40 inside will do the same - it deposits a super thin layer of light oil.

Raw linseed oil would be ideal for weatherproofing steel, but it takes super long time to solidify and it is not recommended to ride the bike until this happens :)

• Advertisement

lukair wrote: »
    Regarding the rust inhibitor, is this not something the manufacturer of the bike does before selling the bike? Will the normal bike store do that for me (where I buy the bike from)?

Some do, most don't as far as I've researched.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

I got a frame from Bob Jackson and they recommend you use the rust inhibitor on receipt of the frame. Used Waxoyl myself, no issues and was using the bike daily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭The Ging and I

My oldest steel frame is 1958 and it still does 200k events.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭Hi Ho

I think steel has been the norm since around the 1880s until very recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

lukair wrote: »
    You don’t see a lot of steel frames around here and I also asked a bike dealer about it and he said that he thinks it’s a bad idea because it will rust pretty soon.

I'd say find a better bike dealer.

I've two steel frames, one from 1983, the other built last year. Both used in awful conditions, and they've not fallen apart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭granda

I have a steel framed winter bike that I used in all weathers and as long as you look after it ie clean after each ride then you'll have no problem, the components will wear out a long time before the frame does

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Type 17

Here's my daily, a 1978 Raleigh frame which I built up in 1990 - it had little or no paint on it when I got it (just a bit of silver around the head tube), and I've never painted it - the distressed look helps keep it safe when it's locked on the street. I spray it with WD-40 every so often and it does live under cover at home and at work, but there is no real rust (pitting), just surface staining.

The only steel frames that I've ever seen that had rust issues that were structural were bikes that were in ditches/hedges for years.

2014-07-12135726.jpg

Advertisement