Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Turning up to 11

• 23-04-2015 11:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭

Thinking of upgrading to 11 speed, either 105 5800 or Campy Athena, wheels are 11 speed compatible so that's not an issue.

Anyone tried both and have any back to back comparisons?

I've only ever had Tiagra or 105 10 speed on my bikes, so little experience with campy, apart from admiring it on occasion.

Also, where is cheapest to pick up full groupsets?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭Plastik

I should have Athena11 here at some stage next week all going well if you want to try it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Plastik wrote: »
    I should have Athena11 here at some stage next week all going well if you want to try it.

I usually but not always find ribble to be the cheapest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

You could buy a triple. That would be 10 extra gears. A better gear to euros spent ratio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Did anyone else think of this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

colm_gti wrote: »
    Thinking of upgrading to 11 speed, either 105 5800 or Campy Athena, wheels are 11 speed compatible so that's not an issue.

Anyone tried both and have any back to back comparisons?

I've only ever had Tiagra or 105 10 speed on my bikes, so little experience with campy, apart from admiring it on occasion.

Also, where is cheapest to pick up full groupsets?

I've had both. Personally while I like Campagnolo for aesthetic reasons and hood shape, the new 105 is quite close to being perfect, especially when compared on a cost/performance level.

I've got Ultegra Di2 and honestly the front shifting is so easy now with the redesigned front derailleur that it feels very close to its electronic equivalent.

I also much prefer the new hood shape over previous Shimano designs and the level of trickle down makes this feel closer to Ultegra/Dura Ace than it ever has done before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 388 ✭✭Stevieg2009

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    I've had both. Personally while I like Campagnolo for aesthetic reasons and hood shape, the new 105 is quite close to being perfect, especially when compared on a cost/performance level.

I've got Ultegra Di2 and honestly the front shifting is so easy now with the redesigned front derailleur that it feels very close to its electronic equivalent.

I also much prefer the new hood shape over previous Shimano designs and the level of trickle down makes this feel closer to Ultegra/Dura Ace than it ever has done before.

Have to agree the new ultegra is fantastic and the 105 is right up there with it in relation to performance at a lesser cost but it really is hard to tell the difference why anyone would spend a load more cash on dura ace is beyond me,but back to the question 105 all the way it's just easier more compatible with everything and cheaper for parts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

With 5800 105 being released just over a year ago, can we expect 5900 any time soon or are the Shimano releases not like that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

quozl wrote: »
    With 5800 105 being released just over a year ago, can we expect 5900 any time soon or are the Shimano releases not like that?

There may be a 5801 with some sort of revision but 5900 suggests 12spd which none of the manufacturers have produced yet or even hinted at (that I know of)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭cython

There may be a 5801 with some sort of revision but 5900 suggests 12spd which none of the manufacturers have produced yet or even hinted at (that I know of)

Not necessarily, 5600/5700 and 6600/6700 were all 10 speed variants of 105 and Ultegra respectively, so 5900/6900 could be a redesigned 11 speed set of groupsets. However we'd be seeing 6900 with a year or 2 lead on 5900, and a Dura Ace variant before that again, so I would agree that 5900 is still some ways off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 187 ✭✭guym

105 11 speed gruppo available on 4thebike.ie for €375. Have bought form them before and can highly recommend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

cython wrote: »
    Not necessarily, 5600/5700 and 6600/6700 were all 10 speed variants of 105 and Ultegra respectively, so 5900/6900 could be a redesigned 11 speed set of groupsets. However we'd be seeing 6900 with a year or 2 lead on 5900, and a Dura Ace variant before that again, so I would agree that 5900 is still some ways off!

5600/6700 both had exposed gear cables so the 5700/6700 was significantly different. There are no possible revisions to 5800/6800 that can bring them up to 9000 spec so I can't see anything major to qualify for the 5900/6900 title other than 12spd.

Advertisement