Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on whether to upgrade my laptop

Options
  • 16-07-2015 9:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

I have a Hp Pavillion G6 2205sa. It is two years old. I paid 460 for it new.

I find it slow for recording and playing video. It currently has 4gb ram and an I3 processor and runs windows 8.1.

I enquired in Pc World and Matlins about upgrading the ram to 8gb and this will cost about 100euro. 65 for the ram and 35 to install it.

I was told that I would only get the same spec machine for 450 now and that if I wanted a better machine i should get the Hp p289sa which is 699.

I currently have my laptop for sale on adverts. Is it worth it to sell and get a new one or should i upgrade the ram.

Thank you

I

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Try not to listen to PCWorld or most stores that have a large amount of different electronic goods.

You'd be better off buying a new laptop, honestly. How much do you have to spend? 450 could get you something decent. Though decent depends on what you need it for. What exactly are you recording?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

rigmaroll wrote: »
    I have a Hp Pavillion G6 2205sa. It is two years old. I paid 460 for it new.

I find it slow for recording and playing video. It currently has 4gb ram and an I3 processor and runs windows 8.1.

I enquired in Pc World and Matlins about upgrading the ram to 8gb and this will cost about 100euro. 65 for the ram and 35 to install it.

I was told that I would only get the same spec machine for 450 now and that if I wanted a better machine i should get the Hp p289sa which is 699.

I currently have my laptop for sale on adverts. Is it worth it to sell and get a new one or should i upgrade the ram.

Thank you

I
    RAM install is literally 2 minutes work, €35 is a ripoff!
    http://blog.laptopmag.com/ram-upgrade-tutorial

The recommended Hp p289sa is barely an upgrade, and the screen will be horrid (15" @1366x768).

OP, your laptop is probably slow because it's a 2-year old Windows install on a mechanical HDD.
    Did you get Windows discs with your machine?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭duffman3833

I agree with K.O.Kiki
    Only takes 5 min to install RAM. Its something you could easily do at home. Wiping your machine back to factory settings might improve the performance (Save any data first). Id try this first as its free and you can do yourself. If not satisfied after the wipe, id then add more RAM and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭rigmaroll

Thanks lads.
    @Tombi I want to record Training sessions and maybe do some video editing

@K.O.Kiki Your right about he screen resolution. It's the same as what I currently have. What d you mean by windows discs?

@I might try restoring to factory settings. When you do that do you have to set up your windows accounts again?

I assume you're going to be doing very basic editing and you'd just be recording from the webcam.
    I wouldn't bother listening to PC world at all; the're just trying to overcharge you. I sincerely doubt RAM would make much of a difference.

How much is your budget? If you can buy online you'll have a better chance at better prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Merry Prankster

Be sure to check out Amazon Marketplace for used laptops - you'll get way more bang for your buck.

I recently got my mum a Dell i7 8gb SSD business laptop worth over €1300 for €650 delivered from the UK (via Parcel Motel). Checking the service tag revealed it was less than 4 months old - it came in as-new condition with all of the original packaging. The reason for the low price was that it came from a Cash Converters who could not provide the original owner's details, so transferring the 3-year warranty (which includes additional accidental damage cover) will involve jumping through some Dell-shaped hoops.

Definitely have a look, although be sure to ask the seller LOTS of questions to ensure that everything is as it should be. I pestered the hell out of them with questions before I committed!

I wouldn't advise second hand for the OP; they don't seem ve tech minded. I'd suggest buying online than in store for much greater value.

Budget would be about 450 if I sell my current one.

I'd prefer new than second hand. What Qs should I ask when buying second hand and what online stores are reliable.

Thanks for helping

BTW what's a fair price for my current Hp g6 laptop. I have it listed for 250 and considering 450 gets a similar spec laptop in pcworld I thought that's fair.

I really don't know about pricing for second hand; I wouldn't buy a second hand one but that's more of a personal thing that advice.
    Someone else would have to help.

What application(s) do you use for video editing? That'd help pick out specs

I haven't done any editing so far, just recording.

Ive used the Windows Camera Tiled App and Cyberlink webcam but neither of them work well.

• Advertisement

Well, do you have an idea of the sort of editing you'd do? Are we talking basic copy and paste stuff or actual in detailed editing?

The difference being: is this for something like YouTube as a hobby or are you trying to make it as professional as possible? Just so I'm understanding budget, without selling anything, you'll have two hundred euro?

Editing would be as a hobby. Correct on budget

I really would advise saving up a bit more; the laptop might not sell and I'd say a minimum of 400 euro.
    Do not buy anything with a celeron processor, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Merry Prankster

rigmaroll wrote: »
    I'd prefer new than second hand. What Qs should I ask when buying second hand and what online stores are reliable.

I'd normally prefer new myself, but in this instance I managed to get a £1,100 (sterling) 4-month old laptop for £450 for which the seller only charged £1.95 delivery charge. Elara.ie are currently selling the exact same model for €1667.70 - quite a saving!

I bought it from Amazon Marketplace - once you find a model of laptop you like, search for it on Amazon and you might be lucky to find sellers selling it used. You are covered by the Amazon Marketplace guarantee if the product is not exactly as described, so once you ask the right questions you'll be covered. All correspondence is stored in your Amazon account.

A truncated copy of the questions/answers I asked/received:

QUESTION:
    Is this the (7440-7524) model? (i7 4600U, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, 1920 x 1080 Full HD Screen)?
    You state that it is 'like new', so I assume it is in excellent condition?
    Does it come with the manafacturer's warranty and a proof of purchase?

ANSWER:
    LATITUDE E7440 (SM115LE744011UKMBB)
    INTEL CORE I7-4600U PROCESSOR BASE WITH
    4TH GEN INTEL(R) CORE(TM) I7-4600U PROCESSOR
    Only problem is we do not have previous owner's details.

QUESTION:
    Without previous owner details it won't be covered by the warranty. That's a bit of a bummer. Does it come with the original box? Is it safe to assume that it is in excellent condition and fully working?

ANSWER:
    That is the reason it's cheap. It is in excellent condition with original box.

QUESTION:
    Just one final question: have you checked that is is fully working?
    No screen defects?
    All ports working?
    Fan working fine?
    All keys fully working including mousepad and buttons?
    Battery working well and holding its charge?

ANSWER:
    I just did it again. All working.

Having these answers, combined with the seller's high rating and sell count, made me very confident. Of course, there are lots of cowboys out there, but Amazon Marketplace has amazing buyer protections in place.

P.S. If you find a used laptop but don't feel confident asking the questions, PM me and I'll be happy to help you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

As was said earlier. Replace the hard drive with a SSD makes a huge difference especially with Windows which hits the hard drive very hard.

It will have a far great effect than adding more than 4GB of RAM for most people.

What SSD should I use to replace the HD

Advertisement