Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unsavoury accents in business. Offputting?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

Larianne wrote: »
    There is a neurosurgeon who works in a Dublin hospital with a dublin accent. Granted it is not as strong as Damo's but it's not a fake Trinity/West-brit accent by any means.

I would actully feel safer with someone with an accent like that. You'd know they worked bloody hard for their career and was in it for more than just the social status.

Just remembered, I do know a registrar with a thick Dublin accent. He grew up in Tallaght actually. :)

I'm biased though as my dad is from inner city Dublin and my mother is from a posh Dublin suburb. Their accents are at opposite ends.

OP sounds like he just got bad customer service. Nothing to do with the accent.

Same in the law; a few years ago SCs without South Dublin accents, Northern Ireland accents (just because they never give in) or even downright British accents, would be very unusual. Now you;re starting to see JCs with pretty strong urban Dublin and regional accents in the courts, definitely a welcome change.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Having worked around a few different countries, the cork accent is almost universally despised

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Lando strikes again with the oul snobbery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Nope, it was actually the badly dressed man with the knackerish Limerick accent using poor customer service to try to persuade my Husband to buy overpriced crap that was the issue. I should have been clearer:P

And I'm a snob

Yep.

If he had a D4 or neutral accent would you have stayed and bought a suit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Yep.

If he had a D4 or neutral accent would you have stayed and bought a suit?
    I would have stayed and bought a suit if he'd had a more professional attitude and a decent range of stock. I worked in retail for years and I know bad service when I see it. Bad service does seem worse when it's pronounced with certain accents. It's also a bit of petty fun to take the mick out of accents from time to time.

Good customer service is whats important, nothing else, I'm just indulging in a bit of harmless snobbery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

It wouldn't put me off buying at all. But I do know, on the phone certain accents are hard to understand..which does make me want to hang up and say text XD.
    Though generally just ask them to slow down.

Advertisement