Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unsavoury accents in business. Offputting?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

As long as I can understand the accent then its irrelevant to me, service is important.
    However if I cannot understand the accent I often find it varying degrees of frustrating, annoying and embarrassing and not a position I want to find myself in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 monster_mouse

Nobody is a harsher critic of customer service levels in retail (believe me, you don't want to get me started:pac:), but I would never consider someone's accent as a factor in their ability to do their jobs. It stinks of bigotry, pure and simple.

their was a time ( a simpler time ) when bigotry revolved around prejudice against people of a different religion or race

now it appears to include accents aswell as your address

luckily their is boards to keep me up to date with what satisfies the PC clergy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

I would rather the way I do business and meet attractive sales assistance to woo me into spending my hard earned cash in the place of their ( sometimes struggling ) business.
    What have your personal shopping preferences got to do with this? I just think that the construction seems a little predictable to the point of being artificial, secondly that the idea of not buying objects because of how a worker enunciates certain words suggests more of a personal problem on behalf of the buyer, and not the seller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

their was a time ( a simpler time ) when bigotry revolved around prejudice against people of a different religion or race

now it appears to include accents aswell as your address

luckily their is boards to keep me up to date with what satisfies the PC clergy :)
    Bigotry;
    'someone who, as a result of their prejudices, treats other people with hatred, contempt, and intolerance on the basis of a
    person's race, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national identity, religion, language, socioeconomic status, or other status.'

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

“Good day sir, do you need any assistance?

I'd be willing to bet money that she didn't say 'Good day sir'

And no i'm not a snob. An accent put you off buying something? I feel bad for you.

Fiachra is that you ? You must have been Morto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Fiachra is that you ? You must have been Morto.

Totes awky mo-mo! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Sergeant wrote: »
    How would you feel if you were about to get complex spinal cord surgery carried out and the surgeon who was discussing the procedure with you in advance sounded like Damien 'Damo' Dempsey?

There is a neurosurgeon who works in a Dublin hospital with a dublin accent. Granted it is not as strong as Damo's but it's not a fake Trinity/West-brit accent by any means.

I would actully feel safer with someone with an accent like that. You'd know they worked bloody hard for their career and was in it for more than just the social status.

Just remembered, I do know a registrar with a thick Dublin accent. He grew up in Tallaght actually. :)

I'm biased though as my dad is from inner city Dublin and my mother is from a posh Dublin suburb. Their accents are at opposite ends.

OP sounds like he just got bad customer service. Nothing to do with the accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Well I guess I'm just lucky everybody loves a strong Wesht Cork accent, I'd hate to be offputting to people

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

So it was nothing to do with the persons accent but the suits which the store stocked....

A sales person trying to sell you something... the horror
    Nope, it was actually the badly dressed man with the knackerish Limerick accent using poor customer service to try to persuade my Husband to buy overpriced crap that was the issue. I should have been clearer:P

And I'm a snob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

Larianne wrote: »
    There is a neurosurgeon who works in a Dublin hospital with a dublin accent. Granted it is not as strong as Damo's but it's not a fake Trinity/West-brit accent by any means.

I would actully feel safer with someone with an accent like that. You'd know they worked bloody hard for their career and was in it for more than just the social status.

Just remembered, I do know a registrar with a thick Dublin accent. He grew up in Tallaght actually. :)

I'm biased though as my dad is from inner city Dublin and my mother is from a posh Dublin suburb. Their accents are at opposite ends.

OP sounds like he just got bad customer service. Nothing to do with the accent.

Same in the law; a few years ago SCs without South Dublin accents, Northern Ireland accents (just because they never give in) or even downright British accents, would be very unusual. Now you;re starting to see JCs with pretty strong urban Dublin and regional accents in the courts, definitely a welcome change.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Having worked around a few different countries, the cork accent is almost universally despised

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Lando strikes again with the oul snobbery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Nope, it was actually the badly dressed man with the knackerish Limerick accent using poor customer service to try to persuade my Husband to buy overpriced crap that was the issue. I should have been clearer:P

And I'm a snob

Yep.

If he had a D4 or neutral accent would you have stayed and bought a suit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Yep.

If he had a D4 or neutral accent would you have stayed and bought a suit?
    I would have stayed and bought a suit if he'd had a more professional attitude and a decent range of stock. I worked in retail for years and I know bad service when I see it. Bad service does seem worse when it's pronounced with certain accents. It's also a bit of petty fun to take the mick out of accents from time to time.

Good customer service is whats important, nothing else, I'm just indulging in a bit of harmless snobbery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

It wouldn't put me off buying at all. But I do know, on the phone certain accents are hard to understand..which does make me want to hang up and say text XD.
    Though generally just ask them to slow down.

Advertisement