Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maggots for Dinner?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

I don't find that disgusting. I'm surprised it's currently illegal to do so. Chicken eggs have more omega 3s in them if they feed on insects, and presumably maggots are not an exception. Nobody worries about manure being used to "feed" grain and vegetables.

It's best to just have proper free range chickens that get most/all of their food by foraging for insects and things themselves. That would seem like a more efficient approach overall. Healthier and kinder too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Chickens are omnivores, free range chickens happily feed on insects. Some sort of variety in the feed would be good, I dont think relying solely on Soya or maggots would be the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Demonique

I thought this post would be about people having maggots for dinner

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭johnny_knoxvile

Demonique wrote: »
    I thought this post would be about people having maggots for dinner

I had a maggot for dinner once, frightfully nice chap, and very worldly.

We debated about politics over a vintage red and a nice greek salad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Doesn't concern me, but I think chickens should get a more natural varied diet anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

If only you knew that insects and their poop are regular ingredients in many forms of sweets and foods we eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I also thought this would be about the fact humans are going to have to start eating things like maggots, and insects in general, we're probably going to have to develop a taste for algae too.

With the amount of food that's thrown away it's hard to accept it's getting to the stage where there isn't enough food to go around.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Stinicker wrote: »
    Disgusting as it sounds, in the next few years Maggots could substitute Soya and other protein rich foods which are being fed to Chickens and other livestock.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/news/coming-to-your-local-supermarket-soon-chicken--la-maggots-8635208.html

Isn't that what chickens would normally eat quite a lot of anyway, if left to their own devices?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Demonique

Shenshen wrote: »
    Isn't that what chickens would normally eat quite a lot of anyway, if left to their own devices?

Yeah it is, our chickens love getting most of the crickets from the box I buy for my tarantula (Fluffy (because she's extremely soft to the touch) only eats 1-2 crickets per week)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,130 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Depending on what the Maggots are being fed id have no problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Doesn't sound disgusting at all.
    Insects and maggots are a good source of protein.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Wow... really? You do realise that this is a normal food for chickens???

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Ye're obviously not that sophisticated if you think that that red wine goes with Greek salad!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,720 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Stinicker wrote: »
    Disgusting as it sounds

Not that disgusting really.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

As a result, a trial is under way to determine the feasibility of mass producing fly maggots, or larvae,
    Thats got to be one of the easiest research jobs in the world. Leave meat on counter, open window, put feet up for the next 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭pabloh999

You had a salad for dinner?

Advertisement