Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Choosing a new phone

Options
  • 09-04-2015 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭

I've a 3 year old S3 which I'm ready to retire and I'm not sure where to start in choosing a new phone. The S3 was the first smartphone that I ever had and I haven't really kept up to date. I'm not fixated on android but I've never used a Windows phones and have found iPhones a bit fiddly and unintuitive to use although I expect that would change if I used on regularly.

I use the phone mostly for photographs, social media, skype and games such as candy crush and clash of clans. The thing that bugs me most about my current phone (aside from the cracked screen) is the speed which is increasingly glacial after each update.

I'm not interested in spending a fortune on cutting edge technology so I'll be steering clear of the S6 which otherwise might have been interesting. I'm happy to spend some money (I'm thinking £200 - £250 or €250 - €300 but don't really know if it's realistic) upfront and/or to tie myself into a contract if that budget isn't realistic. I'm open to the idea of considering less well known phones that might provide a bit of value. I'm living in the UK and there are plenty of contract options but am hoping somebody can give me a steer on what's out there.

Edit to add that I also have a hudl tablet if that makes any difference.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭LudoFrancis

Clearlier wrote: »
    I've a 3 year old S3 which I'm ready to retire and I'm not sure where to start in choosing a new phone. The S3 was the first smartphone that I ever had and I haven't really kept up to date. I'm not fixated on android but I've never used a Windows phones and have found iPhones a bit fiddly and unintuitive to use although I expect that would change if I used on regularly.

I use the phone mostly for photographs, social media, skype and games such as candy crush and clash of clans. The thing that bugs me most about my current phone (aside from the cracked screen) is the speed which is increasingly glacial after each update.

I'm not interested in spending a fortune on cutting edge technology so I'll be steering clear of the S6 which otherwise might have been interesting. I'm happy to spend some money (I'm thinking £200 - £250 or €250 - €300 but don't really know if it's realistic) upfront and/or to tie myself into a contract if that budget isn't realistic. I'm open to the idea of considering less well known phones that might provide a bit of value. I'm living in the UK and there are plenty of contract options but am hoping somebody can give me a steer on what's out there.

You should look into the OnePlus One, its a flagship phone for a very low price (without contract). I have been using it for months, and its definitely worth a buy!

oneplus (dot) net

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭mylesm

You should look into the OnePlus One, its a flagship phone for a very low price (without contract). I have been using it for months, and its definitely worth a buy!

oneplus (dot) net

Does it work on 4G in Ireland I see its having problems in UK with 4G

mylesm wrote: »
    Does it work on 4G in Ireland I see its having problems in UK with 4G

I'm using Vodafone, and it's working perfectly for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

I'm using Vodafone, and it's working perfectly for me.

I'm similar to the OP (apologies for butting in!) in that I'm looking to get something the same price-range but I'm not entirely sure about what. Currently using a Nokia E72 (loved that series) but all my apps are becoming unsupported and the end is nigh so to speak!

One Plus One looks very decent - a powerful little phone that will run on the 3 Network without an hitches and where do they ship it from when going to Ireland?

Thanks, and apologies if I'm infringed on the OP, feel free to delete if such is the case!

I'm similar to the OP (apologies for butting in!) in that I'm looking to get something the same price-range but I'm not entirely sure about what. Currently using a Nokia E72 (loved that series) but all my apps are becoming unsupported and the end is nigh so to speak!

One Plus One looks very decent - a powerful little phone that will run on the 3 Network without an hitches and where do they ship it from when going to Ireland?

Thanks, and apologies if I'm infringed on the OP, feel free to delete if such is the case!

If I'm correct, they ship from the UK.

I received mine two days after order!

• Advertisement
Advertisement