Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marvel's Ant-Man

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Agreed on all points and I'd still very much prefer for Wright to be at the helm (largely due to the amount of time and heart he's put into it already, as well as the awesome test footage that he released a few years back). I guess what I meant to say was, bland director though Reed is so far, I reckon Marvel will get a good movie out of him anyway. I didn't think much of the Russos being announced to direct Cap2 and I was proved supremely wrong on that one. [...]

I enjoyed Cap2 more than I expected to, and the Russos acquitted themselves well to hash together an earthy thriller (having seen their work on Community, I knew they'd adapt to the big-screen without too much trouble, they have an eye for the cinematic), but in terms of actual directorial flourish or creativity, it had nothing going for it. The action scenes were well handled and coherent, beyond that the film could have been directed by Alan Smithee for all the difference it made to the end product's visual identity.

It's not so much about the ball-licking of Edgar Wright, more a continued suspicion that Marvel are jettisoning any individuals that might bring an ounce of creativity to projects, or worse! People who could attempt to deviate from the studio's much-vaunted & publicised Phases. Wright could have brought a unique voice to the Marvel franchise that showed the studio was willing to tinker with their formula a little. Hiring an unknown quantity and someone probably dismissed as a creative soft-touch - however fair or unfair that is - sends out the wrong signals. Marvel want to churn these films out and anyone with a unique vision need not apply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭McSasquatch II

The first official poster has been revealed at Comic Con.

Ant-Man-Comic-Con-Poster_zps025e9dbc.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm looking forward to a Marvel movie featuring a talking tree and gun-totting raccoon, yet the sight of a tiny guy riding an ant feels really silly. Double standards you say? Never heard of it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Probably sounds silly, but does anyone feel cheated that they are flying ants and not just..........ants :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

The poster reminds me of an Animorphs book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,112 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Corey Stoll and Evangeline Lilly roles revealed at Comic-Con

Stoll will be the movie's major villain as Darren Cross, a former protégé of genius scientist Dr Hank Pym (Michael Douglas) who has since seized the elder's company.
    Cross's jealousy of his mentor leads him to transform into Ant-Man's (Paul Rudd) nemesis Yellowjacket.
    Lilly will be portraying Dr Pym's estranged daughter Hope Van Dyne

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a586671/ant-man-corey-stoll-evangeline-lilly-roles-revealed-at-comic-con.html#~oLfzcnf80fOqdI

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Does anyone else think they missed a trick by not having a villain with a Von Trapp surname. That way he could transform into the supervillian the ant Trapp.

I'll get my coat....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

Does that mean Janet Van Dyne (The Wasp) won't be featured? Would have been awesome to see a flashback of that seminal moment in Comic book history where Hank Pym slaps Janet.

Think it's been recently confirmed that they're not going with the "domestic abuse" element.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

The comics weren't even supposed to go with the domestic abuse element. It was originally planned for a a skrull to be revealed to have been posing as Hank at the time of the slap but they changed writers before the reveal and the new writers just decided to leave it in to make Pym seem 'deep'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 buckybarnes

Does that mean Janet Van Dyne (The Wasp) won't be featured? Would have been awesome to see a flashback of that seminal moment in Comic book history where Hank Pym slaps Janet.

It seems like they're erasing Janet from the MCU, despite the fact that she was a founding Avenger, came up with the name for the team and was a huge help in defeating Ultron.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but I really don't see how Hank slapping the woman who was the reason he became a superhero and who helped him through numerous mental breakdowns would be in any way awesome. This franchise neglects female characters enough as it is, we really don't need see them being abused on screen.

The comics weren't even supposed to go with the domestic abuse element. It was originally planned for a a skrull to be revealed to have been posing as Hank at the time of the slap but they changed writers before the reveal and the new writers just decided to leave it in to make Pym seem 'deep'.

Another version of events was that it was initially intended to be an accidental slap from Hank making a "get off me" kinda gesture with his back turned to Janet, but I don't see how that can be accidentally drawn as the slap we know.

Anyway, let's be glad they're not going with the Ultimates version, where Hank attacks Jan with a can of Raid (as well as setting his ants on her)!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

It seems like they're erasing Janet from the MCU, despite the fact that she was a founding Avenger, came up with the name for the team and was a huge help in defeating Ultron.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but I really don't see how Hank slapping the woman who was the reason he became a superhero and who helped him through numerous mental breakdowns would be in any way awesome. This franchise neglects female characters enough as it is, we really don't need see them being abused on screen.

Fair enough if they don't show the slap, Marvel movies are for a PG-13 audience anyway but erasing her entirely is an awful decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Depends on the context and how it's portrayed though. I'm not picking on you, just a general observation, but it's odd how everyone is gagging for a female superhero movie knowing that she will get her ass kicked at some point before winning the day, but having her get slapped in a domestic environment (I'm not familiar with the slap in question) is a no-no

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Depends on the context and how it's portrayed though. I'm not picking on you, just a general observation, but it's odd how everyone is gagging for a female superhero movie knowing that she will get her ass kicked at some point before winning the day, but having her get slapped in a domestic environment (I'm not familiar with the slap in question) is a no-no

You can see the panel here.

As to why people differentiate the cases you mention, it's pretty easy:

One case would be an empowered woman deciding to actively fight against whoever the villain happens to be, while the other would be an on-screen representation of a woman being abused (in a fashion similar to that which is far too common even to this day), primarily so that we can then see what impact this has on the man who abuses her. It's essentially fridging Janet.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,310 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

First look.
    122772_gal.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Looks like breaking up with Phoebe has taken its toll.....

Seriously though i hope this is a hit, this is the one i feel is the biggest gamble so far

At first I thought those were eyebrow piercings.

Looks like breaking up with Phoebe has taken its toll.....

Seriously though i hope this is a hit, this is the one i feel is the biggest gamble so far

Same. Guardians of the Galaxy could be as out there as it wanted and still get away with it, being a space adventure film. Grounding Ant-Man will be a tough job.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Tommy54

It could be a make or break!

• Advertisement

Tommy54 wrote: »
    It could be a make or break!

In what ways?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

FunLover18 wrote: »
    At first I thought those were eyebrow piercings.

They are scars. Am I right?

In what ways?

If Ant-Man is a success, it will open the doors for Marvel to continue The Avengers as a franchise while allowing certain characters to bow out i.e. have The Avengers continue as a team but with a revolving door for members to come and go as the actors' contracts dictate. So they could cushion the blow of RDJ possibly bowing out by saying "Well, Iron Man has left The Avengers but look, now we've got Ant-Man and Dr. Strange!" etc..

If it fails, well, they can still use Ant-Man in upcoming team-up movies but the future of Ant-Man as a stand-alone franchise would probably go the same route as The Incredible Hulk. I don't think it would break the franchise by any means but it would certainly be the first dent in a long streak of success.

If Ant-Man is a success, it will open the doors for Marvel to continue The Avengers as a franchise while allowing certain characters to bow out i.e. have The Avengers continue as a team but with a revolving door for members to come and go as the actors' contracts dictate. So they could cushion the blow of RDJ possibly bowing out by saying "Well, Iron Man has left The Avengers but look, now we've got Ant-Man and Dr. Strange!" etc..

If it fails, well, they can still use Ant-Man in upcoming team-up movies but the future of Ant-Man as a stand-alone franchise would probably go the same route as The Incredible Hulk. I don't think it would break the franchise by any means but it would certainly be the first dent in a long streak of success.

I understand the make part for sure.

But the break part is a long stretch to be honest. It might not be as successful as other Marvel movies but it wont be a box office failure even Elektra and the Ghost Rider movies made money. Hell even Howard the Duck broke even way back in the day.

The only Marvel movie to lose money was Punisher: War Zone.

Nothing will stop the Marvel train now they can afford to take a hit or two with Disney behind them. By hit or two I mean having a film make a small profit Ant-man and Doctor Strange might just be those movies.

I think given the unquestioned success with Guardians of the Galaxy, it's hard to see how or where the Marvel train might derail. And given how well Guardians... went down with the average person who doesn't really care about films or comics, I don't think any future failure will be down to the concept alone: I said it myself in this very thread I thought the idea of Ant-Man was just too damn goofy - and in many ways I still do! - but then if a movie featuring a snarky talking space-raccoon and a walking tree can win hearts and minds, why not this?

Ultimately, myself, I think what will eventually kill the great Marvel project will be basic human fatigue: I don't believe people will keep flocking to these variations of the same template. There might be those who miss movie X in the chain, because they're not that pushed, then they'll miss movie Y in the chain, also because they're not that pushed and sure they didn't see X when it came out anyway, so they just won't bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

pixelburp wrote: »
    There might be those who miss movie X in the chain, because they're not that pushed, then they'll miss movie Y in the chain, also because they're not that pushed and sure they didn't see X when it came out anyway, so they just won't bother.

I agree that people will get fed up and numbers will drop off, but the movies are not so tightly linked that you have to see all of them.

Even though Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, and Captain America had their own movies first, and Hawkeye, Coulson, Fury, Black Widow and Loki appeared in them, the box-office shows that many, many people saw and liked the Avengers who had not seen all of those run-up movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Tommy54

Exactly my thinking.

ShagNastii wrote: »
    They are scars. Am I right?

Yeh seems to be band aids of some sort holding a cut together.

One thing about Ant-Man, I don't see anyway it could end with a giant airship crashing into a city ... although it could end with a "giant" cup of hot coffee falling into an ants nest ;)

Hope.

a59os92yswrvn289tuzp.jpg

• Advertisement

Agent Carter
    is going to feature in the movie..

spoiler link.

Advertisement