Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Youthreach teaching

Options
  • 12-08-2013 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Hi all , I would really appreciate any information about youthreach teaching and also a pro rata contract for a full year means that I will be paid for holidays ?
    Thank you :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭f3232

spring21 wrote: »
    Hi all , I would really appreciate any information about youthreach teaching and also a pro rata contract for a full year means that I will be paid for holidays ?
    Thank you :)

You will find a lot of information from the various youth reach websites or on VEC sites.

Pro rata contract means you will be paid pro rata for your holidays. I do not know what full weekly hours are for youth reach (35 I think) so if you are working for 20 hours you get paid 20/35 of a full salary for your holidays. I am not sure of the hours worked in youth reach but the pro rate means what I outline above.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭spring21

Thank you .
    I had a look at the above websites and they give a general information about the program. I would like to know the starting and finishing times , holidays , differences & similarities with the secondary schools.Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

It really depends on where your Youthreach is situated- i.e. which VEC as working hours can vary between centres. It also depends on your position. Are you going to be a Resource Person or a Tutor, part-time or full?

In my centre we work 9 - 4 officially but I always stay till 4:30 the earliest and often don't get away till 5 or 6. Some places start at 8.30 and others finish at 4:30. It really depends on your position and your duties. For me there is never enough time from 9 -4 to get all my work done.

We are back to work on the 27th August and will have a 2 day mid-term at the end of October. This year we close for Christmas on Monday 23rd Dec and are back to work on Monday 6th January. We will get a 1 day mid term in February and usually our Easter holidays are from Holy Thursday and the following week. We get out summer holidays the third week in July until the last week in August.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭weser777

Solobally8 wrote: »
    It really depends on where your Youthreach is situated- i.e. which VEC as working hours can vary between centres. It also depends on your position. Are you going to be a Resource Person or a Tutor, part-time or full?

In my centre we work 9 - 4 officially but I always stay till 4:30 the earliest and often don't get away till 5 or 6. Some places start at 8.30 and others finish at 4:30. It really depends on your position and your duties. For me there is never enough time from 9 -4 to get all my work done.

We are back to work on the 27th August and will have a 2 day mid-term at the end of October. This year we close for Christmas on Monday 23rd Dec and are back to work on Monday 6th January. We will get a 1 day mid term in February and usually our Easter holidays are from Holy Thursday and the following week. We get out summer holidays the third week in July until the last week in August.

Have an interview for Youthreach -

key areas being covered in the interview:

1 - knowledge & understanding of the course

2 - Planning & preparation

3 - Professional Responsibility

4 - Information Handling???? (any idea what this is regarding??)

5 - Interpersonal Skills

• Registered Users Posts: 7 secondary teacher

Hi as regards information handling from my time in youth reach I take it to mean how would you deal with sensitive information regarding the students in the centre that comes to your attention. For example you hear a student talking about underage drinking, your responsibility is uphold child protection and pass the information on to the centre coordinator. Hope this helps .

• Advertisement

thanks a mill

What position are you interviewing for weser777? Resource person?

What position are you interviewing for weser777? Resource person?

hey,
    sorry, I haven't been on this forum since - it can be a bit depressing while your looking for work, along with reading all the problems with getting employment for teaching.

anyway, I got a call back, and I got the job - as a teacher with youthreach.

happy days.

1 question though - I've searched high and low, and asked the TUI, about this, but what is the hourly rate? I'm lead to believe that the week is a 35 hour week for teachers in youth-reach yeah?
    I'm not on 35, but I'm on a pro-rata contract, and am just looking to find out a bit more about the salary. On the TUI website, it just gives the rates for resource and co-ordinator staff.

any feedback would be grateful.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 38 birdlake

Hi and congrats! If your contract is a teacher's contract as opposed to a resource person's contract then conditions are exactly the same as a mainstream second level teacher.

birdlake wrote: »
    Hi and congrats! If your contract is a teacher's contract as opposed to a resource person's contract then conditions are exactly the same as a mainstream second level teacher.

thanks a mill for the reply...those conditions includes pay also I'm assuming? as in, rates etc...?...

• Advertisement

I assume €46.85 per hour part time casual rate

Oh also congrats on getting the job!

thanks a mill for your answers - greatly appreciated!!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 birdlake

Yes, pay, holidays etc. all the same as mainstream.

birdlake wrote: »
    Yes, pay, holidays etc. all the same as mainstream.

Really? In my ETB holidays are vastly different than mainstream for part time tutors. It's interesting how conditions vary so much depending on wich ETB you work for.

I assume €46.85 per hour part time casual rate

Oh also congrats on getting the job!

hey,

so got my contract - its a pro-rata part time contract, and my hours are 12 out of a possible 22hours.

Is €46.85 really what I'm on per hour?

I cant seem to find this information anywhere online.

thanks in advance

I can't post links so I hope this works. The rates have changed as far as I can see sorry. It is €40.10 now if you are being paid by the hour or else you could be on a salary. Your best bet is to ring your HR department and ask them.

http://www.tui.ie/welcome-to-our-website/second-level-salary-scales-post-2011-.2210.html

thanks a mill

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭boatbuilder

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but is any other ETB in the country changing peoples's contracts in Youthreach?

Any vacancies for part time tutors are now being filled with "part time resource" contracts. Apparently there was some kind of circular letter issued on it. The big issue with this is that the rate of pay goes from €40 per hour to €14 per hour. No existing staff are applying for the posts because they understandably want to hang on to their 40 an hour and wouldn't dream of working for 14.

Its causing serious agro here amongst new staff who are often in the job several weeks before they realise that there are people doing less work with less responsibility in the centre and getting paid 3 times more for it!

Hard to believe that the TUI are silent on this - but oh hang on I forgot, they don't give a damn about Youthreach, they're too busy with secondary school teachers!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,115 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Hard to believe that the TUI are silent on this - but oh hang on I forgot, they don't give a damn about Youthreach, they're too busy with secondary school teachers!

Rather unfair and quite untrue.
    Have you brought it up at your Branch meeting?

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭CraftySue

It's happened with us as well, number of teachers brought in first on part time hours, then changed over to resource tutor hours. Union does know about it, says it got in under their radar - not sure what they will do about it, but I have to agree with you - boatbulder, Youthreach always seem to be a forgotten minority. Might you have a link to the circular relating to this, boatbuilder.
    In addition with resource workers/tutors - the teaching is not recognised. This means that if the person moved to mainstream teaching, that experience would not be recognised for incremental purposes, there is no opportunity to transfer to other schools, not recognised for DP positions etc- if someone stays in youthreach for any time, they soon become trapped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 TransAtlantic

The same happened in a centre I worked in. Newer staff with part time hours employed on a 'resource' contract and paid €14p/h. It's absolutely obscene to expect a qualified teacher to work for this while existing part time staff were on €40p/h. Students were earning more per week with the 'training allowance' they receive from attending Youthreach than some part time members of staff. If this happened in mainstream schools the unions would be up in arms. Radical overhaul of the Youthreach system required starting with better working conditions for staff.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,115 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If Youthreach teachers attend their local Branch meetings and get a motion passed, it becomes TUI policy. That's how the TUI works.
    Attend Branch meetings and make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 TransAtlantic

spurious wrote: »
    If Youthreach teachers attend their local Branch meetings and get a motion passed, it becomes TUI policy. That's how the TUI works.
    Attend Branch meetings and make a difference.

That certainly is an important step.

I fear for the quality of the delivery of education in the future. When/if job prospects improve in mainstream, qualified teachers in Youthreach will jump ship for better pay and conditions, leaving behind unqualified or NQTs to educate some of the most vulnerable youth in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭ustazjoseph

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but is any other ETB in the country changing peoples's contracts in Youthreach?

Any vacancies for part time tutors are now being filled with "part time resource" contracts. Apparently there was some kind of circular letter issued on it. The big issue with this is that the rate of pay goes from €40 per hour to €14 per hour. No existing staff are applying for the posts because they understandably want to hang on to their 40 an hour and wouldn't dream of working for 14.

Its causing serious agro here amongst new staff who are often in the job several weeks before they realise that there are people doing less work with less responsibility in the centre and getting paid 3 times more for it!

THis is happening in other areas as well. Adult & basic ed offering "resource " jobs at 14 bucks an hour which involve some support work , some office admin etc and some teaching. Union seem to fall for the "oh its a contract" line.
    This is a growing problem across the further ed sector

• Registered Users Posts: 13 charlie999

Hi I'm in youthreach too - seems this conversion is rolling out on a Pilot scheme and only a few counties are being targeted to see how things go! Out choice as tutors is Unqualified person in teaching position (if not teaching the subject we are qualified to teach) or resource person.

If we fail to sign by a given date we will automatically be transfered to a resources post. In doing so our hours will increase by approx 10 hours per week, and we will work 226 - for exactly the same pay as we were on as a tutor!

Did anyone up your side of the country refuse to sign and take it to the unions?

Latest word is that nationwide all existing part time Youthreach staff will be forced to go into either a Resource contract or a Secondary school teacher contract depending if they are qualified or not. Due to a court case taken by some Youthreach staff in Dublin apparently.
    Seems to me that Resource would definitely be getting the short straw as they'd have to work extra admin hours and during midterms/work experience weeks effectively for free in order to retain the same annual income as before.
    Those on a secondary teacher contract wouldn't be so bad as they have lots of holidays!!, no extra admin hours and only have to do a few extra croke park hours.

Boatbuilder : Is this going to happen? I have heard of that case, but the reason I heard they won was because they were redeployed from teaching into resource positions, therefore the case was to reinstate their original contracts. Also those who choose teaching lost pay, as they were forced to move down the incremental scale. This was what was told to us at a union meeting. Would love to know if this is true, and what the timescale for it to happen is - as I and many of my colleagues are applying for teaching jobs, to move from resource - as its not recognised as teaching, and the Youthreach programme as a whole, is very lost, and does not fit in the further/adult education sector- these are kids, and very troubled kids, who need a more holistic approach, rather than just been focused on accreditation/ work experience.

ETBI have issued an email to ETBs instructing them to change all existing part time tutors to either resource or teacher contracts based on what qualifications they gave. I dont think choice comes into it.. people are offered one or the other. Timescale is anyone's guess but certain ETBs are moving faster than others on it.

My understanding of it is that people would be matched to a point on the scale but not at a lower amount of money per year. They may have to do more hours to get the same money though.
    I agree that Youthreach is losing it's way. Lost the flexibility that used to be there and struggling to compete with other solas providers who don't operate under the now 30 year old legacy of bumbling along with no clear guidelines.

• Advertisement

Thanks boatbuilder, this would be fantastic news for alot of people. Does it apply to just part time resource people or will it affect full time resource workers as well?

Advertisement