Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Water Diviner

• 10-04-2015 11:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone see it??

I was left disappointed:(

Russell Crowe's first outing as a director and it showed..it was sloppy in parts..would have been better as two part TV drama other than a cinema release i think.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

fryup wrote: »
    Anyone see it??

Russell Crowe's first outing as a director and it showed..it was sloppy in parts..would have been better as two part TV drama other than a cinema release i think.

I enjoyed it, it wasn't on par with Directing debuts of say fellow actors Ben Affleck or Paddy Considine . I had problems with it myself mostly down with the stupid love story thrown in with Olga Kurylenko and her kid could have been cut that and it would have made for a better film (plus it made Crowe's character a little bit of a dick seen as
    His wife took her own life a few weeks before

Crowe could have done with showing more of his Sons relationship between their father, would have made
    The mercy killing of the brother more powerful
    . We didn't get to know the sons at all. The battle scenes really showed its budget too. Aside from that it wasn't a awful debut but it could have done with more work on the script. I think Crowe should have done a smaller film before tackling something so big.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,983 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

fryup wrote: »
    Anyone see it??

what made you go see it in the cinema?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^

ahmm...cause thats where it was showing

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

I thought it was decent enough.The love story and the kid dragged the movie back for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I thought it was very disappointing. It was cliche and predictable, and the action scenes were unforgivably amateur. It also had unforgivable leaps of faith in terms of storytelling -
    Russel Crowe traveling across the globe and magically pinpointing exactly where his sons died without any explanation? Please.

There was glimmers of strong film making in parts, which is all the more disappointing as scenes like
    the sons being killed
    really showed how powerful the movie could have been with a tighter script.

Very disappointing debut, film is still watchable but entirely forgettable, in a years time no-one will be talking about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Thought it was watchable, a good effort for a first time director. Olga Kurylenko was miscast, especially as a love interest for Crowe. I think it needed that storyline or else it would have been very dry, but it was handled a little poorly maybe.

Crowe knows a good yarn when he sees one and knows what engages an audience, so he has half the battle won. Seems like he just needs to know how to become more acquainted with the mechanics of film making. I kept thinking how much better this would have been if the likes of Ron Howard was handling the drama or Ridley Scott was managing the action!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,714 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Went to the cinema (reluctantly) to see this......it was the once in a blue moon weekend when we have a babysitter available, unfortunately it coincided with the most dire movie options imaginable (my missus isn't a fan of violent movies so John Wick and Fast and Furious ruled out immediately....not that I would have been running out to set those either :-( ).

Had very low expectations of this going in and had anticipated falling asleep at some point but it wasn't that bad to be fair....basically a solid if clunky storyline that trundles along pretty much as you'd expect. The kinda movie you'd watch on RTE1 on a wet Sunday afternoon in November.

Didn't notice any obvious directorial style from Crowe really, his acting was solid and unspectacular (seems to have really lost the intensity he had as a younger actor - hard to believe he's the same guy from LA Confidential).

One slightly odd thing -
    was it implied that his water-divining talents also extended to tracking dead and/or presumed dead people. Everyone seemed to just accept that he was able to pinpoint the bodies without anyone saying "Eh...how the fupp did you do that"
    :confused:

Advertisement