Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Finishing a builder finish house

• 08-05-2013 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

I found a home I would like to buy which is a builders finish. I am just wondering if anyone would have a rough idea on how much to budget for finishing the house off (kitchen, furniture, flooring, painting etc) I would not be going for high end goods. just wondering if this would be a better buy than a fully finished home. The house is 1700sq ft

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 189 ✭✭Philip82

Hi, you should inform everybody how many bedrooms and what size they are for example, is the fireplace fitted, how many floors are timber carpet tiles etc. Also is all the wiring and plumbing fully finished including boiler and showers, bathroom wear etc. You should also say if you can do anything yourself or will everything be paid for.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭snypers12

Philip82 wrote: »
    Hi, you should inform everybody how many bedrooms and what size they are for example, is the fireplace fitted, how many floors are timber carpet tiles etc. Also is all the wiring and plumbing fully finished including boiler and showers, bathroom wear etc. You should also say if you can do anything yourself or will everything be paid for.

Sorry its a 4 bed 2 bath. not 100% sure on exact room measurements but its the average 4 bed semi. no fire place. Will be fitting a stove in to heat the house. kitchen an bathrooms tiled laminate floors elsewhere. Wiring and plumbing is done but no bathroom fitted. The only thing I will need fitted is the kichen and stove the rest will be done by myself. Any ideas on rough costs?

Its very hard to say without actually seeing the house but If I was to have a decent guess presuming you are very handy and you have the time to do all the work I could see it been around 20 grand upwards. How you finish any house will always be debatable on how much it will cost because of the quality you decide to go for at the end of the day. (eg you can buy a bathroom suite for 500 and you can buy one for 5000)!! Best of luck with it, Your in a good position because its easy to price materials for the house without having to guess what labour costs might be.

Philip82 wrote: »
    Its very hard to say without actually seeing the house but If I was to have a decent guess presuming you are very handy and you have the time to do all the work I could see it been around 20 grand upwards. How you finish any house will always be debatable on how much it will cost because of the quality you decide to go for at the end of the day. (eg you can buy a bathroom suite for 500 and you can buy one for 5000)!! Best of luck with it, Your in a good position because its easy to price materials for the house without having to guess what labour costs might be.

ya i was thinking around the 20 grand mark myself but wasnt fully sure. Fingers croosed mow that the mortgage is approved! Thanks for your help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

20K yikes!!

I'd have said 10K if not less especially as you're not going for high end materials.

The kitchen will be a big out lay between tiling and the kitchen itself.

It will all depend on how good you are at controlling your budget some folks would spend 10K+ on a kitchen alone.

One thing I'd say though Buy cheap buy twice. Do the essentials first and as money becomes available tackle each room.

• Advertisement

Mr.Fred wrote: »
    20K yikes!!

I'd have said 10K if not less especially as you're not going for high end materials.

The kitchen will be a big out lay between tiling and the kitchen itself.

It will all depend on how good you are at controlling your budget some folks would spend 10K+ on a kitchen alone.

One thing I'd say though Buy cheap buy twice. Do the essentials first and as money becomes available tackle each room.

I was hoping to hear a figure closer to the 10 grand mark alright! Ya id imagine the kitchen would be the biggest expense but no way would i spend 10k one! thats madness!
    Ya the plan was to get the essentials done so i could move in straight away. Then do the rest when I see good offers etc.

Thanks for the advice

10k?? If you only finished downstairs I doubt you would do it for 10k. Somethings on the list for downstairs only, stove and stove plumbing/surround, timber floor,3 piece suite, paint, furniture, floor tiles, wall tiles, adhesives, kitchen, cooker, washing machine, dishwasher, appliances, tables chairs, blinds curtains...... and thats before you buy televisions and other luxury items you just have to have!!! Dont get me started on upstairs:D:D

Stove €600 fitted
    Timber flooring - €1000
    3 piece suit €1000
    Paint-€300
    Tiling €1000
    Table chairs- €500
    Appliances-€1000
    TV 2nd hand €200/new 39" €500
    Ancillaries €500-€1000

And you could do it a fair bit cheaper if you shop around. I've finished 2 builder finished houses and I did both to a reasonable standard for less than €15k I was buying in bulk though. It's handy of you know some folks who are selling kitchens tiles etc.

As for a dishwasher I'm sure you'll survive without one for the moment you can't sleep in a dish washer.

To be fair Fred what you quoted comes to 7 grand and thats without a kitchen and to be honest you might not need a dishwasher but I doubt you will get a fridge freezer, oven, hob, extractor hood,washing machine and the likes for 1000 euro unless you go to a charity shop. He said he wants the stove also to heat the whole house so that might mean a bit of plumbing as Im sure its not plumbed for a back boiler which might mean changing the cylinder aswell. Maybe thats not what op meant but still upstairs cant be much cheaper because of all the flooring, two bathrooms and beds etc. Its really a guessing game though but if you want it finished like you said Id be planning 20k but everybody will have different opinions thats just mine. Once again good luck, If the banks give you money then youre already on a winner!!!!!!

Ah sure they were rough figures you could cut corners on all of them. I'm just speaking from having done a couple of these. I'd say the OP means an ordinary stove not one for heating the house although maybe I'm wrong.

Either way it's a guessing game as you say but I'd get it done for under 10 myself no problem. 20K would give you all the extras I guess.

Either way OP good luck and more than likely you'll never be 100% finished :)

• Advertisement

Thanks guys. Jus to clear things up between ye...I am looking to get a stove in for heatin the house!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

snypers12 wrote: »
    Sorry its a 4 bed 2 bath. not 100% sure on exact room measurements but its the average 4 bed semi. no fire place. Will be fitting a stove in to heat the house. kitchen an bathrooms tiled laminate floors elsewhere. Wiring and plumbing is done but no bathroom fitted. The only thing I will need fitted is the kichen and stove the rest will be done by myself. Any ideas on rough costs?
    Mr.Fred wrote: »
    I'd say the OP means an ordinary stove not one for heating the house although maybe I'm wrong.

Yup;)

And even watching the pennies closely ( Ikea kitchen, and the like ), you'll put a hole in €20k without too much trouble.

Advertisement