Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rubber Patio?

• 21-03-2013 6:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,409 ✭✭✭

Came across 'crumb rubber' on another thread and on google, they also seem to produce 'rubber paving tiles'.

link1 & link2

I haven't seen soft/rubber flooring outside children's play area and creche etc, just wondering if anyone have used these to pave their patio? I have about 35 sq yards of patio to do (currently half existing concrete and other half is hardcore) and I am in the process of deciding what to lay. Rubber sounds great as I will soon have two very young children running around.. but there has to be a reason why rubber is too popular, no? Is it the aesthetics?

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

positron wrote: »
    Came across 'crumb rubber' on another thread and on google, they also seem to produce 'rubber paving tiles'.

link1 & link2

I haven't seen soft/rubber flooring outside children's play area and creche etc, just wondering if anyone have used these to pave their patio? I have about 35 sq yards of patio to do (currently half existing concrete and other half is hardcore) and I am in the process of deciding what to lay. Rubber sounds great as I will soon have two very young children running around.. but there has to be a reason why rubber is too popular, no? Is it the aesthetics?

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!

Probably expensive, have you priced it? Looks great though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,409 ✭✭✭positron

but there has to be a reason why rubber is NOT too popular, no? Is it the aesthetics?

I accidentally dropped the all important 'NOT'.. :pac:

Probably expensive, have you priced it? Looks great though

I haven't as I only heard of it today. Random posts online gave me the impression that this might be slightly more expensive than imprinted concrete but A LOT cheaper than stone, and a lot easier to lay apparently. You are right though, I should try and price this. It's locally manufactured out of recycled tires and recyclable again - green all around!

But all this begs the question - there must be a catch somewhere as I don't know anyone who have rubber patio. Hmm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

I haven't as I only heard of it today. Random posts online gave me the impression that this might be slightly more expensive than imprinted concrete but A LOT cheaper than stone, and a lot easier to lay apparently. You are right though, I should try and price this. It's locally manufactured out of recycled tires and recyclable again - green all around!

But all this begs the question - there must be a catch somewhere as I don't know anyone who have rubber patio. Hmm.

Ticks a lot of boxes though, Safety Maintenance etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

You can get 1 x 1 and also 2 x 1 meter rubber tiles in black,brown or green from most builders providers and also in co-ops ...works out cheaper than buying the usual 500 x 500 rubber tiles from DIY stores.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

paddy147 wrote: »
    You can get 1 x 1 and also 2 x 1 meter rubber tiles in black,brown or green from most builders providers and also in co-ops ...works out cheaper than buying the usual 500 x 500 rubber tiles from DIY stores.

Any idea of the price of the square ones, Paddy. They look good.
    Cheers, Sean

Saw half meter square rubber mats at Dublin Builder Providers Drogheda, and they were marked around 12 euro a piece - which makes it 48 per square meter. Not cheap at all. Perhaps that is the real reason why these are not popular...! Hmmm.

Another source: MatsGrids.co.uk

£8.62 + taxes for 500 mm x 500 mm x 25 mm, which will also work out around 40-50 euro per square meter.

PS: A better one: Manufactures in Dugannon, Tyrone: http://www.rubbermattingsystems.co.uk/rubber-safety-paving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

could you use them on a driveway?

I got prices off RubberMattingSystems in Tyrone and it also works out to be around 40 euro a square meter + delivery. (Wholesale price £27.84 per m2 + vat ex factory N. Ireland).

There are many positives - it's really easy to lay, it lets water right thru it so no need for additional drainage works, safe and impact protection etc, recycled materials, further recyclable etc etc... but considering you can get imported Indian sandstone for around 20 euro a square meter.. I don't know, this is turning out to be more expensive than I would have liked.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Ambersky

I have used these tiles, bought in Woodies, to cover a wooden patio at my elderly mothers back door.
    http://www.woodiesdiy.com/Product/Rubberlok-Versatile-Safety-Tile/9430/4.21.4 Put them down this winter as the wood was a slipping hazard for her no matter what I did to it.
    The tiles look good, were easy to lay and definitely feel much safer underfoot. Even if my mother fell on these they would cushion her fall. Water doesn't gather on them and turn icy in this weather as it seems to seep through them.
    It was expensive to do but it was just the material I needed, a cheaper stone or tile would still have been dangerous.
    My mother keeps looking out the window and admiring the new patio she feels much safer now. I imagine it would be ideal for children also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

While it is expensive there are a lot of positives with it, the most important, if you are having a BBQ and get full as a wee monkey and fall down, you fall back up just as quick.

Thanks Ambersky & 3ndahalfof6.

Like I posted above it works out around 40 euro per square meter. And it's cheap and easy to lay (DIY). Compare this to cheap sandstone, which is around 20 per square yard and perhaps another 15-20 per square yard to lay (including materials). So in reality, it works out about the same as the sandstone, in my mind (unless my figures are way off), and then less maintenance going forward (requires no sealant, no chipping, no problem with staining etc etc).

Yet, I don't see much rubber paved patios other than Creches and play areas - which makes me wonder - is there anything else wrong with it? Does it not last as long as the stone / PIC? May be it looks rubbish compared to stone or even PIC?

Ambersky wrote: »
    I have used these tiles, bought in Woodies, to cover a wooden patio at my elderly mothers back door.
    http://www.woodiesdiy.com/Product/Rubberlok-Versatile-Safety-Tile/9430/4.21.4 Put them down this winter as the wood was a slipping hazard for her no matter what I did to it.
    The tiles look good, were easy to lay and definitely feel much safer underfoot. Even if my mother fell on these they would cushion her fall. Water doesn't gather on them and turn icy in this weather as it seems to seep through them.
    It was expensive to do but it was just the material I needed, a cheaper stone or tile would still have been dangerous.
    My mother keeps looking out the window and admiring the new patio she feels much safer now. I imagine it would be ideal for children also.

10-11 euro in a builders providers.;):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Ambersky

Nooooooo! la la la la Im covering my ears paddy147. The jobs done and ah well I may be saving on my mothers hospital bills getting it down at the start of the winter.
    On not seeing it in creches. It is the same material as far as I can see that is used extensively in childrens playgrounds. You know the black rubber stuff with little flecks in it, it seems to be made of that material. Actually I have seen the coloured tiles laid down in a childrens playground outside a creche. Couldnt say how long it lasts but it seems pretty hardy. I think not all the tiles you buy are of the same quality or thickness. Google safety playground tiles Images and you will see lots of tiles in use and for sale

simg_271.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭branners69

I put down 70 rubberlok tiles I got from Celuplast in Baldoyle a few months ago, whilst expensive they are brilliant for the kids. I think they were €11 each but we'll worth the money.

Grange Builders Providers sell a 20mm thick 600 x 600 rubber outdoor mat/tile for 7 euro.

Its black with grey flecks through it.

Was only looking at them yesterday morning.

Very handy as a surface for kids to play on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Westwood

paddy147 wrote: »

which builders providers do the 1 x 1 meter red ones you have a photo of there.? looking to get some asap thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1 bowiejoey

branners69 wrote: »
    I put down 70 rubberlok tiles I got from Celuplast in Baldoyle a few months ago, whilst expensive they are brilliant for the kids. I think they were €11 each but we'll worth the money.
    Hey...cud u send me a pic of the tiles u laid. im trying to find the best price for a garden play area for my toddlers...iv been quoted huge money...the tiles u had for 11..iv only found them at 13 per peice. wud be really grateful..thanks!

An old thread Phil Power.

Incidentally, I am just after getting normal concrete block (Tobermore Shannon) patio laid last week as part of the extension project. I would have loved to do the crumb rubber, but I just couldn't get enough information / demo / feel about it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement