Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

An post spreading 'the word'

• 15-07-2014 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi there... One day last week,our post came through the letter box folded with jehovahs witness literature in the middle. Today again with a booklet from some other fundamentalist christian group. Has anyone else received religious propaganda in such a manner? I assumed it was against the law for a state or semi state body to distribute such material...it certainly seems unethical and is quite worrying in my opinion. These leaflets are quite strong in their wording and imagery and are designed to prey on the fears of the vulnerable in society.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Why would it be against the law? These cults are just marketing themselves like any other business would.
    An Post delivers junk mail, if you pay them. If they didn't deliver junk mail, postage stamps would be dearer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Was it not the JWs and the fundamentalists spreading the word?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Op put an addressed mail only sign on the door. An Post delivers commercial mail, so unless you specifically say addressed mail only anyone can post anything through the letterbox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

tisgrand wrote: »
    Hi there... One day last week,our post came through the letter box folded with jehovahs witness literature in the middle. Today again with a booklet from some other fundamentalist christian group. Has anyone else received religious propaganda in such a manner?

Yup, got one just yesterday. Must be silly season again....

This one had a disclaimer in the back: "This literature is distributed by Bible-believing Christians who are not Jehovah's Witnesses or Mormons" :D

I read it to myself as if I was reading aloud, (because that's the best thing to do with inappropriately placed cap locked and bolded words) and with interest, but do not wish to apply for the free books or the Way of Salvation.

Examples:
    "God's Word says we are justified 'FREELY'. This means Salvation is given freely by God to sinful people. The sinner is not required to work for it or to earn it. Salvation is God's GIFT to the sinner. God could give this free gift to sinners because of the fact that their sins have already been paid for by Jesus. I could now see that Salvation was God's FREE GIFT to ME!"

"Then you will be able to say: I am NO LONGER HOPING. Now I KNOW I am going to Heaven, because I am depending on the Son of God who loved ME and gave Himself for ME."

All cap lock/bolded words must be delivered in a shout - makes it more fun to read. God loves a trier, so they say.....

• Registered Users Posts: 38 tisgrand

I'm told in order for an post to stop delivering junk mail, i must pay them a fee!!???? I'll give the 'addressed mail only' sign a shot with fingers crossed...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Was there just a leaflet tucked in with your mail, or was the leaflet in an envelope addressed to you or your house number?

An Post just deliver mail addressed to your house. They're hardly going to sift through your mail to weed out religious stuff, TV Licence reminders, or anything you find annoying. :)

We have a big NO JUNK MAIL sign above our letterbox and it weeds a lot of stuff out with the glaring exception of political flyers during election time. But if it's got your address on it... it gets posted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

tisgrand wrote: »
    our post came through the letter box folded with jehovahs witness literature in the middle.

Are you 100% sure it was Jehovah's Witness material?
    Because they would never ask nor pay anyone to deliver their material or literature

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Obliq wrote: »

This one had a disclaimer in the back: "This literature is distributed by Bible-believing Christians who are not Jehovah's Witnesses or Mormons" :D

I read it to myself as if I was reading aloud, (because that's the best thing to do with inappropriately placed cap locked and bolded words) and with interest, but do not wish to apply for the free books or the Way of Salvation.

Examples:
    "God's Word says we are justified 'FREELY'. This means Salvation is given freely by God to sinful people. The sinner is not required to work for it or to earn it. Salvation is God's GIFT to the sinner. God could give this free gift to sinners because of the fact that their sins have already been paid for by Jesus. I could now see that Salvation was God's FREE GIFT to ME!"

"Then you will be able to say: I am NO LONGER HOPING. Now I KNOW I am going to Heaven, because I am depending on the Son of God who loved ME and gave Himself for ME."

All cap lock/bolded words must be delivered in a shout - makes it more fun to read. God loves a trier, so they say.....

Isn't it a strange coincidence that our least favourite creationist has been gone for a while? Maybe this is how he pays his bills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Obliq wrote: »

Got the same one myself, I googled the names on the return address for wanting free books, and it turns out that Mr. & Mrs. Keogh belong to the Irish Evangelistic Band. Though from the bit on the inside of the front cover:
    Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Wheaton, Illinois, 60189. All rights reserved.

I am highly sceptical about the veracity of Dick's life story as published in the leaflet.

Possibly you have had a visitation by one of these characters.
    If it gets worse, and develops into a full blown infestation, call Rentokil.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

recedite wrote: »
    Possibly you have had a visitation by one of these characters.
    If it gets worse, and develops into a full blown infestation, call Rentokil.

Beat you to it. Nyer, nyer, ne, ne, nyer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,549 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Dades wrote: »
    An Post just deliver mail addressed to your house.

They deliver unaddressed junk as well as addressed mail (junk or not.)

They've also been caught delivering Communications Workers Union propaganda against online billing :rolleyes: any chance your postie is a JW...?

Scrap the cap!

Beat you to it. Nyer, nyer, ne, ne, nyer!
    mehh.. you were first, but my link is better because it goes direct to the visitators page :D

D Trent wrote: »
    Are you 100% sure it was Jehovah's Witness material?
    Because they would never ask nor pay anyone to deliver their material or literature

yes, it mentioned how to contact them, order their bible and the 'watchtower'

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

They deliver unaddressed junk as well as addressed mail (junk or not.)

They've also been caught delivering Communications Workers Union propaganda against online billing :rolleyes: any chance your postie is a JW...?
    Postmen deliver junk mail too? What, like as a nixer? An Post hardly pimp out their deliverymen at a price, do they?

Bejasus.

The second was from the evangelical group others mentioned here...neither were addressed of course... Just the standard rubbish they usually go door to door with themselves. Junk mail from businesses is one thing, but that sort of literature shouldn't be distributed by an post whether welcome or not. Just my opinion! I do see where others are coming from though...perhaps they cant refuse if paid to do so. I did find it amusing how the evangelical one tried to distance itself from other factions. They must be far more credible!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Jim Rockford

An Post are obviously in league with the anti-christ that is the bishop of rome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Dades wrote: »
    Postmen deliver junk mail too? What, like as a nixer? An Post hardly pimp out their deliverymen at a price, do they?

Bejasus.

Leaflet delivery from as little as 10c/pi VAT inclusive.
    http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/AnPostDM/ProductsAndServices/Publicity+Post/Publicity+Post.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Can't believe there are still people who don't know this. My son did some delivering for private junk mailers ... Their favourite laugh is to put double the junk into "No Junk Mail" boxes.

Advertisement