Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paint brush

Options
  • 23-04-2013 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭

I will be painting a rough pebble dash wall (long wall) soon. As I understand it the best way is to dab on the paint.
    I want to buy one good brush for the job .
    Can anyone recommend a good brand and what should I expect to pay.
    Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭cheif kaiser

My personal favourite paintbrushes by far are Stanley Premier Brushes - http://www.handyhardware.ie/Home/SearchResults/tabid/274/List/0/Default.aspx?txtSearch=stanley+premier they are excellent for cutting in, paint skirting, etc, I have a few that I have had for years and as long as you look after them they stay as soft as the day you bought them. However for painting masonry I am not sure I would bother investing in anything decent, with all that stabbing and twisting trying to get the paint in pebble dashing any paint brush is bound to end up a bit of a state. If it was me I would just buy one of those cheap masonry brushes from woodies, etc and chuck it out when finished.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

me4many wrote: »
    I will be painting a rough pebble dash wall (long wall) soon. As I understand it the best way is to dab on the paint.
    Many thanks.

You could also buy a "long pile" 9 or 12 inch roller for use on rough walls and pebble dashing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,928 ✭✭✭dodzy

Many thanks.
    Kaiser has it. Dont spend big. Cheapo Brush from woodies as anything you use for this task will be only good for the bin when youre done. Your wrists / arms will feel like they are going to fall off.

Paddys suggestion might work if the pebble is not too coarse, but any time i've seen this, the roller just wont penetrate all areas. A combination of both could work to your advantage.

That said, for pebble dash, spray-painting is your man.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭me4many

Thanks for all the good advice above folks.

I will just buy one or two cheapish brushes for dash.

I think having a good quality brush for painting doors,skirting etc is a good idea.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

paddy147 wrote: »
    You could also buy a "long pile" 9 or 12 inch roller for use on rough walls and pebble dashing.

Nah, a paint brush or sprayer are the only real solution.

Roller is fine for a 'stippled' or rough plaster finish, but for full on wet dashing they are not great.

• Advertisement

prospect wrote: »
    Nah, a paint brush or sprayer are the only real solution.

Roller is fine for a 'stippled' or rough plaster finish, but for full on wet dashing they are not great.

My girlfriend used a roller on a long pebble dashed wall.

A deep/long pile roller did a great job on the pebble dashed exterior wall last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭me4many

A deep/long pile roller did a great job on the pebble dashed exterior wall last year.

That does look like a nice job. The wall I have is old style pebble dash ..the pebbles are more prominent.

Thanks for pic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

What you need is a long pile 12 inch roller and Paddys Girlfriend :)

Long pile 9 inch too and a 3 inch brush to fill in the deeper parts that the roller cant get.
    Or if its a large area hire an airless spray gun, it will be done in a fraction of the time.

That does look like a nice job. The wall I have is old style pebble dash ..the pebbles are more prominent.

Thanks for pic.

No worries.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Yea the roller does work well.

If the dashing is very rough/course, use the roller to get the paint onto the wall, then use a brush on the area to spread the paint into all the nooks and crannies.

Using the brush to take paint from the tub to the wall takes forever. The think pile roller will allow you get lots of paint on the wall quickly then a brush to get in to all the hard to get bits.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

If you have a big area to cover, get yourself one of those cheapish garden sprayers, the ones that you wear on your back and the pump/pressure handle. Fill with thinish paint, have a brush with you and spray the paint on with the sprayer and lay off with the brush. You will save yourself mega heart ache and sore arms. If you get the consistency right and into a rythm this is a great method. Equipment can easily be washed out after too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Roller did a good job there Paddy,

I was referring to deep wet dash, (which I had the misfortune of having to paint a few times in my youth), which is a lot rougher than that wall.

Don't start me on painting trellis :mad:

:)

prospect wrote: »
    Roller did a good job there Paddy,

I was referring to deep wet dash, (which I had the misfortune of having to paint a few times in my youth), which is a lot rougher than that wall.

Don't start me on painting trellis :mad:

:)

Ah sure thats a very relaxing process indeed.:pac::D

I spent an entire afternoon last year sitting in the garden staining them with a small brush and gloss mini roller...

My reward was a nice bottle of Peroni afterwards..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Easiest and fastest way to paint pebble dash is to spray it, you could hire one out from a hire shop but if you've never used one before it might be a bit tricky.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

shockwave wrote: »
    Easiest and fastest way to paint pebble dash is to spray it, you could hire one out from a hire shop but if you've never used one before it might be a bit tricky.

I wouldnt recommend sprayers to people who haven't used them before, you could do a lot of damage with one!

Advertisement