Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One Man P.A. Set up, advice please!

Options
  • 16-06-2012 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭

I'll be starting gigging on my own soon and I'm just in the process of getting the gear together. I've been looking at the Allen & Heath ZED10Fx for a mixer along with Behringers's B210d's (active speakers) They seem to be the cheapest option at 160 a pop... anything else seems to be more along the lines of 350 each...

Has anyone any experience with either?... i'm sure the Desk will be sound (it was a toss up between the ZED10 or the cheaper Yamaha MG82cx) I'm just worried about the speakers having never used a powered speaker set up before. Also the 10" ...will it be enough for a pub of 100-200 people? Smallish pubs. I'm hoping the 10" will allow for a brighter sound as it's just Guitar & vox. But i play a lot of drop D and don;t want to lose the bottom either..

Any advice?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Flynn

Also, sorry if this is in the wrong forum but couldn't find a "gear" section.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭TedNewgent

try some ev speakers you wont go wont with them, they are a little dearer but a far better sound. well that's what i found and i found it better to used passive speakers and a power amp theres more of a punch of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

There's no audible difference between powered and unpowered speakers at the same end of the market, both are fit for purpose just work differently. You would need to compare apples with apples, of course a €1000 passive speaker will sound better than a €100 active, and vice versa.

For a one man setup I wouldn't go with powered speakers when a Powered Desk & pair of Passive tops is an easier setup. With powered remember you have to run 2 cables to ever speaker versus only 1 with passive.

Dynacord Powermate 600 and D12/SX300/ZX3 if you got the cash. As for 10" v 12", well there's no defying the laws of physics, a 12" moves more air and will go louder and lower so it's no contest for me. 10" boxes are lovely but I'd associate them with light corporate work, speeches etc. 12's can handle most of everything.

Cheers, yeah i think if money wasn't an issue i'd go with a powered mixer but the set up i mention is just over €600 whereas the Dynacord is double that and that's before speakers. THe eurolive speakers are what's bringing it down really i just hope they hold up. Anyway cheers for ye're 2cents!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

Flynn wrote: »
    Cheers, yeah i think if money wasn't an issue i'd go with a powered mixer but the set up i mention is just over €600 whereas the Dynacord is double that and that's before speakers.

Think of the dynacord powermate as an investment. you could pick up one second hand on adverts for 600, and sell it again in a few years for 500-600. they seem to bottom out at that price assuming its in decent condition. cant go wrong with EV speakers too, like the dynacord, their price bottoms out. if you could pick up a clean pair second hand, they wont let you down and you could sell them for pretty much what you paid for them.
    Also, dont get a cheap mic! shure sm58 is all you will ever need!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭doughef

Hi there.

Yip..

I agree with the Dynacord 600 and the EV's..
    it is pricey but you pay for what you get!

I bought the speakers new and the amp second hand a few years ago and I'm delighted I did.

The EV's are just class,

Also, I totally agreee with the SM58 mic,,. no point in having good gear and singing into a fischer price microphone! :D

yeah actually i might be able to do second hand i'll check adverts, cheers! Yeah have a 58 already and a nice guitar so no worries that side!

Advertisement