Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wyclef to confirm presidential bid

Options
  • 04-08-2010 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/0804/breaking11.html
    Haitian-American music star Wyclef Jean will announce his bid for president of earthquake-ravaged Haiti this week, Time magazine reported late yesterday.

Haiti, which was hit by a deadly 7.0-magnitude earthquake in January, is scheduled to vote on November 28th to elect a new leader to replace president Rene Preval, whose term ends in February.

"If I can't take five years out to serve my country as president, then everything I've been singing about, like equal rights, doesn't mean anything," Mr Jean said in an interview with Time.

There has been widespread speculation that the musician would seek the office. Last week in Haiti he said he was taking the necessary legal steps toward running for president, including having his fingerprints taken by the judicial police. However, he said last Thursday in Port-au-Prince that he had not made a definite decision.

Many analysts predict Jean - who at 37 is very popular among Haitians, particularly the young - would easily win the presidential election.

A three-time Grammy award-winner, Jean was a founding member of the hip-hop trio The Fugees and won wider fame for his collaboration with Colombian pop star Shakira. He released a song two years ago called If I Was President .

Jean established the Yele Haiti Foundation in 2005 to provide humanitarian aid to the people of Haiti. He said after the January 12th earthquake which killed up to 300,000 people that Haiti's future rested on education, job creation and investment.

"If not for the earthquake, I probably would have waited another 10 years before doing this," Jean told Time . "The quake drove home to me that Haiti can't wait another 10 years for us to bring it into the 21st century."

Jean emigrated to the United States aged nine, but has maintained his Haitian citizenship, a requirement for running for the presidency.

Just 'cause he runs ho-ho, that don't make him a politician oh-no..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

Fair play to him, you feel he's doing it for the right reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Hopefully he'll be able to do something good.
    Just him being president will bring attention to the poorest country on the planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I was really expecting this to be about the Cornish detective.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Silly idea. With the money he has he should just buy the place and make himself King or Emperor. I bet that would be much more fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

He'll be gone by November.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Fair play to him, you feel he's doing it for the right reasons.

Well.......
    http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/crime/wyclef-jean-charitys-funny-money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

More refugees!.......... I think Haiti has enough, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

No Fighting is one of his policies

• Registered Users Posts: 8,110 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Fair play to him Mr Fugee himself ah the good old days...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

I like the Man's music, but I don't think thats quite enough to run a country. Best of luck with him, hopefully I am wrong, and if he win's he can help fix Haiti.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Who does Wyclef Jean think he is..... Dana?

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Wheelsonthebus

Lets hope his supporters only vote for him 1 time

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

wes wrote: »
    I like the Man's music, but I don't think thats quite enough to run a country.

thats alright though, there's not really much of a country there to run these days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

Lets hope his supporters only vote for him 1 time

that's it, you're fcuking barred.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭mojesius

genericguy wrote: »
    that's it, you're fcuking barred.

It's okay. there are no more songs left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

Sean Penn reckons he is never in the country

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭mojesius

Kasabian wrote: »
    Sean Penn reckons he is never in the country

Don't listen to that little b*tch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

This is only going to give the Bob Geldof/Bono coalition the idea now.

What is it with pop stars & their meglomaniac tendencies?

Bono & Geldof and their "Glamour Aid" - somehow they believe that just because they can pen a tune, that it means they can tell Africa how to go about it's business.

Dana ran for President here. F*ck!

Sting with his tax-dodging, money laundering Rainforest b*lloxology.

Now Wyclef Jean.

When will they learn that using their popularity to play political games, is a dangerous thing? Most of them haven't the foggiest notion about it...

Take Lee Ryan, who, in the wake of 9/11, said ""Who gives a f**k about New York when elephants are being killed?".

Or Eric Clapton, who at a gig, said, "Stop Britain from becoming a black colony. Get the foreigners out. Get the wogs out. Get the coons out. Keep Britain white."

Or Geri Halliwell who said, ""Margaret Thatcher was the first Spice Girl, the pioneer of our ideology."

Or Snoop Dogg on Obama.. "The KKK gave Obama money... They was one of his biggest supporters... The media won't tell you that. They don't want you to know that. They just want you to know that this n****r befriended this other n****r who be threatening your values."

POPSTARS... keep your noses out of politics & do what you are good at. Writing songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I think if you vote in a rapper with 0 political experience you lose your status as a country....

• Advertisement

I think if you vote in a rapper with 0 political experience you lose your status as a country....

Well it's fucking Haiti, they lost their status as a country when this freak was made a president.

mojesius wrote: »
    Don't listen to that little b*tch.

Ok

Bono & Geldof and their "Glamour Aid" - somehow they believe that just because they can pen a tune, that it means they can tell Africa how to go about it's business.

Now Wyclef Jean.

When will they learn that using their popularity to play political games, is a dangerous thing? Most of them haven't the foggiest notion about it...

Take Lee Ryan, who, in the wake of 9/11, said ""Who gives a f**k about New York when elephants are being killed?".

Or Eric Clapton, who at a gig, said, "Stop Britain from becoming a black colony. Get the foreigners out. Get the wogs out. Get the coons out. Keep Britain white."

Or Geri Halliwell who said, ""Margaret Thatcher was the first Spice Girl, the pioneer of our ideology."

Or Snoop Dogg on Obama.. "The KKK gave Obama money... They was one of his biggest supporters... The media won't tell you that. They don't want you to know that. They just want you to know that this n****r befriended this other n****r who be threatening your values."

POPSTARS... keep your noses out of politics & do what you are good at. Writing songs.

Maybe one on your list would fall into that bracket

Now Wyclef Jean.

Kasabian wrote:
    Maybe one on your list would fall into that bracket

I was thinking the same thing.:pac:

El Siglo wrote: »
    I was thinking the same thing.:pac:

Snoop Dogg ? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Now Wyclef Jean.

Just maybe some people are good at doing two things?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

To be fair, you'd have to be an evil genius to make Haiti any worse than it already is so fair play him.

Hazys wrote: »
    Just maybe some people are good at doing two things?

Most of the popstars I mentioned aren't even good at one thing, let alone two.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Wy would he do this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

I'm going to vote for Wy.

Fcuker deserves the gig:cool:

Advertisement