Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What songs can my cover band do that aren't the usual cliché stuff?

Options
  • 26-05-2012 1:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭

this is your setlist so far:
    about a girl-Nirvana
    all apologise- Nirvana
    fortunate son- CCR
    wheres me jumper- Sultans Of Ping FC
    where's my mind- The Pixies
    rocking in the free world- (of course) Neil Young
    the bucket- KOL
    holy roller novacaine-KOL
    joker and the thief - Wolfmother
    everlong - Foos
    live forever-Oasis
    supersonic-Oasis
    luka-Lemonheads
    mrs robinson- Lemonheads
    running down a dream- Tom Petty
    baba o reilly- The Who
    big me- Foos
    last kiss- Pearl Jam
    we are young (fun) - derp
    i am the highway- Audioslave
    brewing up a storm- the stunning
    little sister- QOTSA
    today- Smashing Pumpkns
    fans- KOL
    cigarettes and alcohol- Oasis
    old yellow bricks- Arctic Monkeys

Basically I'm looking to add songs that are great but ones that cover bands don't normally play. I'm open to any genre, just not the cliche songs every cover band plays like Sweet Home Alabama and that type of shhit

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭TedNewgent

come together from the beatles
    i haven't heard any other cover band do it
    the grease mega mix
    we use to do when we had a female singer it was a laugh
    and love shack from the b52's
    there just a few songs that goes down great but haven't heard any other cover band play

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭Rigsby

How about Steely Dan's "Reelin in the Years", or "Do It Again" ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Rock up some Depeche mode songs. Some of the less well known Zep stuff. Or rock version of some dance tracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Rigsby wrote: »

One thing I've always wanted to do if I ever play in a cover band, do Show Biz Kids and segue into Super Furry Animals' The Man Don't Give A **** when you get to the 'Show biz kids makin' movies of themselves' line.

rcaz wrote: »
    One thing I've always wanted to do if I ever play in a cover band, do Show Biz Kids

While there are lots of "Dan" fans out there, AFAIK, not many bands cover their music. Apart from the "Dan" tribute band called "Aja", I have never seen/heard a covers band doing one of their songs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

Rigsby wrote: »
    I like you

I like you

I have my uses, I suppose. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Prefab Sprouter

"Babylon Sister" or "My Old School" are two fantastic "Dan" tracks. Another song to consider could be "Naive Melody (this must be the place)" or "Slippery People" by Talking Heads.

We've done "Back to my Roots" by Richie Havens/Groove Armada and whilst its not the most common covers song ever done it does go down well, point is that sometimes a change from the norm is a good thing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

"Naive Melody (this must be the place)"

****ing yes, people would go mental if you whipped out a decent cover of that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

What about off the wall style shifts?

I saw a band (Ali Bennet band) a few weeks ago and they do a great country version of AC/DCs you shook me all night long.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

"Babylon Sister" or "My Old School" are two fantastic "Dan" tracks. Another song to consider could be "Naive Melody (this must be the place)" or "Slippery People" by Talking Heads.

We've done "Back to my Roots" by Richie Havens/Groove Armada and whilst its not the most common covers song ever done it does go down well, point is that sometimes a change from the norm is a good thing :)
    Never heard a band do that, and it's one of my favourite songs ever. I was going to suggest it as one to cover for my band and all, but IDK if it would suit us.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭yoursaviour1989

What about off the wall style shifts?

I saw a band (Ali Bennet band) a few weeks ago and they do a great country version of AC/DCs you shook me all night long.......

You mean this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjAu3Yyn09A

Never heard a band do that, and it's one of my favourite songs ever. I was going to suggest it as one to cover for my band and all, but IDK if it would suit us.
    In the last 2 years Herb, I've had my eyes opened regarding the number of people who love that song. Its a fantastic version on the Stop Making Sense Soundtrack, go on give it a go. Reach for the stars!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

Hi OP, i love the list myself. id love to hear a band covering baba o reilly! Hope it goes well for you. My band have thrown in a few obscure songs from time to time, some places we get no reaction, other places they raise the roof!

I seen a band play "Hocus Pocus" by Focus around 2 years ago, and they nailed it! was one of the best covers ive ever seen

I seen a band play "Hocus Pocus" by Focus around 2 years ago, and they nailed it! was one of the best covers ive ever seen
    Now that I would love to see!!!! The vocalist must have some range to pull that song off!

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭duiggers

Otherside by the Red Hot Chilli Peppers, only ever heard that covered once but it sounded great and got the crowd going

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

duiggers wrote: »
    Otherside by the Red Hot Chilli Peppers, only ever heard that covered once but it sounded great and got the crowd going
    Funnily enough we actually learned that song this week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Movement by LCD Soundsystem. Good possibility that everyone would go nuts!

Bonus points if you throw in all the messy feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭shane9689

sexy chick by david guietta? so obscure no one would see it coming XD

• Advertisement
Advertisement