Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hiring musicians for a jam session

• 25-05-2012 4:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭

I haven't played in a band for a good while now, and was thinking of organising a jam session.

However, I don't want the hassle of dealing with potential gobsh*tes, so was thinking of hiring a bass player and drummer for a jam session.

Has anyone here done this, how did it work out?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭raindog.promo

Haven't done it. Sounds expensive.
    Would you be expecting the hired musicians to come up with stuff themselves or to play according to your specifications (playing what you tell them to)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

I honestly don't see how this would be any better than just jamming with some people. In fact it just sounds horribly awkward.
    Just meet up with some people, and if it doesn't go well, be adults about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭kevin65

The plan would be to give them a set list. I know it sounds a bit clinical, but just don't have the patience in dealing with egos, no-shows, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I honestly don't see how this would be any better than just jamming with some people.
    When there's money involved I'd hope that the people being paid would be more inclined to turn up and do the necessary work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

kevin65 wrote: »
    The plan would be to give them a set list. I know it sounds a bit clinical, but just don't have the patience in dealing with egos, no-shows, etc.
    I suppose, if you have your stuff together already then they're llike session musicians.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭Rigsby

If you can afford it, then it seems like a good idea. Unless you have your own place to jam, then that would be an extra cost. Usually the cost of a rehearsal room is shared by the players, because they all want to play or jam. The hired players may not necessarily want to jam for the sake of it, but are doing it for the money. They may not want to give a portion (or all, depending on the agreed price) of it towards a rehearsal room that they dont particularly want to be in. It may not work out this way, but is worth considering.

The plan would be that I arrange and pay for rehearsal space and pay the musicians for their time.

The plan would be that I arrange and pay for rehearsal space and pay the musicians for their time.

You must have really got messed around by time wasters previously, to go to this expense for a jam. ;)

Hope it works out for you.

Thanks. In fairness, I have been lucky in the past to have played in bands with people who were both great musicians and great friends. However, at the moment, free time is limited, so I don't wish to waste it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 74 ✭✭paligulus1

This is interesting. Is the goal to practice your playing in a live band setting? Or do you intend to gig?

• Advertisement

No intentions to gig, just for jam session, bit wouldn't rule it out depending on how things went if I decide to go ahead with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Thanks. In fairness, I have been lucky in the past to have played in bands with people who were both great musicians and great friends. However, at the moment, free time is limited, so I don't wish to waste it :)
    So you'd rather waste money instead?

Just put on a CD and play along, it's much cheaper.

So you'd rather waste money instead?

Just put on a CD and play along, it's much cheaper.

C'mon !! Everyone knows (or should do) that playing with other musicians is light years different to playing along to a CD.

As for your first comment, yes it is expensive, but if the OP wants to do it (which he obviously does), enjoys it, and avoids time wasters, then it's hardly a waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Brinimartini

I haven't played in a band for a good while now, and was thinking of organising a jam session.

However, I don't want the hassle of dealing with potential gobsh*tes, so was thinking of hiring a bass player and drummer for a jam session.

Where are you based?
    I might jam just for the fun of it
    I'm a bass player

Where are you based?
    I might jam just for the fun of it
    I'm a bass player
    Based in Galway, sorry for not replying before now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭drummer76

I'm a drummer might be interested too, what would the setlist be? I wouldn't charge especially if you were covering the cost of the rehearsal room. Where are you based? Wheres the studio you would use?

sorry just noticed your last reply I'm in dublin so its a bit too far for a jam session, sorry

Advertisement