Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Great Moment in Irish Broadcasting..

Options
  • 04-12-2014 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭

The End of the crappiest show on national radio has been announced....

DEREK MOONEY APPOINTED NEW NATURE AND WILDLIFE EXECUTIVE ACROSS RTÉ

RTÉ Radio 1 has announced that presenterDerek Mooney is to take up a new role as Executive Producer across natureand wildlife programming. Derek will also be responsible for new programminginitiatives in the strand.

To make way for his new role, Derek will no longer present hisdaily afternoon show on RTÉ Radio 1 from early January 2015. Mooney GoesWild on RTÉ Radio 1 will now air at weekends, and Derek will also produce anew nature strand on RTÉ Radio 1 which will air in autumn 2015. Working withcolleagues in television, Mooney Goes Wild will provide nature featuresfor television output and Derek will also be associated other natureprogramming on television in 2015. On the digital platform, Derek will also beexploring opportunities for new content and adaptation of formats like thehugely successful ‘Nest Watch’ campaign.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭neris

dont hold your breath on the "mooney" format been gone. Im sure Brenda is angling for the slot and the same rubbbish format coz been radical and changing the show and format would be way too much for rte and might involve some new ideas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭Expunge

Yes, the ****ty production values will probably continue because the Chiefs can't give every producer on that wretched show a new makey uppy title like they've just done for Mooney.

They'll probably move Tubridy across from his relative failure at 2FM and can then decide to close 2FM or not after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

BYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

• Registered Users Posts: 43,027 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

the new host

1410_Wakinghours_i

you heard it here first

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

I hope they give it to Shay Byrne... He's like Mooney without the chip on his shoulder...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

I hope they give it to Shay Byrne... He's like Mooney without the chip on his shoulder...

Jaysus, I hope not. That guy loves musicals even more than Mooney does :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Derek isn't the worst and I have good time for the man. He doesn't have the same self appointed airs and graces of a lot of his colleagues.

Best of luck to him in his new job.

There's a great opportunity now to create a brand new programme in his place. Hopefully Brenda O'Donoghue is now surplus to requirements and will be given her cards as would happen anywhere else.

Personally, I'd like to see an hour long news based programme focussing on international issues. RTÉ is too parochial in its news coverage with farmer's protests hogging the headlines far too often.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TOEJOE

I kinda like the show Shay is too sweet for this job , Brenda seems confused all the time roll in Catherine she seems to be doing everything and get rid of all the presenters. The other option would be bring in the whole of Westlife and Twink they dont appear to be doing much at present.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Radio_Fan_67

Miriam O'callaghan will get the afternoon slot and Mooney goes wild will get her sunday morning hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,354 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Miriam O'callaghan will get the afternoon slot and Mooney goes wild will get her sunday morning hour.

Another good reason to listen to Terry Wogan on BBC R2 on Sunday mornings. He's just as good/bad a bullsh1ter as Mooney but without using any opportunity to talk about the Eurovision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72,105 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Mooney to make way for Lord Tubridy of Dublinshire, perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

neris wrote: »
    dont hold your breath on the "mooney" format been gone. Im sure Brenda is angling for the slot and the same rubbbish format coz been radical and changing the show and format would be way too much for rte and might involve some new ideas

So Derek has finally left the cushy nest & now next to go is Brenda, kill two birds with the one stone, puns intended

I listen to liveline whenever i can, but quickly tune off when i hear Bletherin Brenda :o & Dithering Derek

• Registered Users Posts: 33,135 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

RTE have a NATURE AND WILDLIFE EXECUTIVE ?

Sounds like an easier job than the one he was already doing.

NIMAN wrote: »
    RTE have a NATURE AND WILDLIFE EXECUTIVE ?

Sounds like an easier job than the one he was already doing.

That could be another word for 'put out to pasture' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,135 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Out to pasture, but I'm sure he's still on his massive wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭Expunge

I didn't notice RTE advertise the public competition for the post of Nature and Wildlife Executive, did anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Expunge wrote: »
    The End of the crappiest show on national radio has been announced....

Marty is leaving Lyric? Woo-hoo!

Oh.

Never miind.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

That could be another word for 'put out to pasture' :D

Yep,put out to pasture WITH HUGE PAY

Yep,put out to pasture WITH HUGE PAY
    You can buy plenty of HAY with that :p

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

[snip] Ray Darcy going to replace him, just announced on 6 News on RTE One

• Advertisement