Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you miss Derek Mooney?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

It's a bit of a sliding doors moment, that decision. It brought Ray D'Arcy back to RTE, started the upheaval on Today FM and gave us that great Saturday night chat show! Derek learned the hard way that once you go off the airwaves, you're yesterday's man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

the only voice I would miss is John Creedon , and id probably get over him reasonably quickly as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I would venture that Sean O'Rourke is the only authoritive and really competent broadcaster on RTE Radio at the present time. All the others are lightweights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

Comhra wrote: »
    I would venture that Sean O'Rourke is the only authoritive and really competent broadcaster on RTE Radio at the present time. All the others are lightweights.

I think there are a few lightweights (especially among their best paid older staff) but i think they are making progress. The recent reshuffle has set them up for the next 5 years and beyond. Brian Dobson is doing well on Morning Ireland after moving from TV. Claire Byrne likewise for the News at One. The all female lineup on Late Debate is doing well and I've been especially impressed with Sarah McInerney who has really taken on the no **** approach that Cormac Ó hEadhra had. Cormac himself has made a seamless transition into the Saturday show. Get rid of the expensive deadweights like Ryan and Marion and their lineup suddenly starts to look fresher and brighter than it has for many years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭hawley

He set a very high standard in his first couple of years on his afternoon show and eventually the pressure of trying to maintain that level got to him. Looks like he quit because he needed a break from the stress of presenting such a high profile slot. It seems like he has been ostracised by top level management, he's a natural on the radio. How about him taking the 7-8 slot on Radio 1 as a magazine programme, don't think many listen to the Arts Show? It would great to have him back on the airwaves on a regular basis.

Brenda is out of her depth and Pat O'Mahoney sounds like he's asking himself 'Where did it all go wrong for me?'

Pat O'Mahony is on First Dates Ireland tonight.

Derek seems to have really grown the audience and reach of his nature programmes. Given that he has been so successful in this area, I think that he should be afforded the opportunity to fill another slot in RTE.

https://radiotoday.ie/2019/04/rte-radio-ones-live-dawn-chorus-expands-internationally/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,909 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

He hasn't got any less irritating, though.
    I can stand him in small doses, like hearing his voice babble out of the kitchen radio as I'm passing through, but that's about it.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

Advertisement