Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RTE 1 Program Names

Options
  • 07-12-2014 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Why doesn't RTE do away with program names? Chances are that every time you turn on the John Murray Show, or the Marian Finnucane or even the Derek Mooney show, it is likely to be presented by someone else. I wonder does this mean that the actual presenter of the show is being paid as well as the presenter that he or she is standing in for? With the outrageous salaries that these presenters are already earning, doesn't this double payment mean that the licence fee payers are getting very bad value? I wish there was some app that RTE could use to notify me when John Murray is back and I don't have to listen to Kathryn Thomas anymore.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭GSF

Like it or not these "stars" have contracted to do a certain number of show hours per year with RTE and are complying with what Rte management were daft enough to agree to.

As regards name changes for stand ins presumably rte are selling ads based of these big names so changing them for stand ins suits nobody as they would only being drawing attention to their absence

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭SPDUB

OP why didn't you go with the real title of this thread which was " I don't like RTE presenter salaries" as everyone even the BBC uses presenter names so it's not unique to RTE

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

SPDUB wrote: »
    OP why didn't you go with the real title of this thread which was " I don't like RTE presenter salaries" as everyone even the BBC uses presenter names so it's not unique to RTE

Its becoming less common to use presenter names - show titles work better as it allows replacing presenters without changing the schedule around/"relaunches" etc. 104 and Spin are particular examples of that in Dublin

Advertisement