Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Water infrastructure

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭busman

Furet wrote: »
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0419/environment.html

"Resolving this problem will require massive ongoing investment and that is why, the Government says, water charges are required."

And there was I wondering where all these 'billions' were coming from!

They can charge away as far as I'm concerned.
    That is as long as they don't try and make me pay for water from my own well

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭unit 1

busman wrote: »
    And there was I wondering where all these 'billions' were coming from!

They can charge away as far as I'm concerned.
    That is as long as they don't try and make me pay for water from my own well

:mad:
    They may if they decide to include groundwater in any privatisation scheme.
    I work for a coco and am very familiar with both water and sewage schemes.
    Do not be fooled by all the hype about water being a scarce and precious resource. Bottom line is water and sewage treatment are pretty basic bog standard engineering wise. Many new "sophisticated" plants are glammed up by private sector consultants to increase their fees. Whats missing is basically the will to provide the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

Furet wrote: »

Weren't the developer's levies to pay for all this?
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/1105/1224258100862.html
    The highest statistics were recorded in Roscommon where 58.6 per cent of water was unaccounted for. Kilkenny (56.8 per cent), South Tipperary (55.4 per cent) and Cork city (52.9 per cent) also recorded very high figures for water loss – as did both city and county councils in Galway and North Tipperary.

By comparison, South Dublin (20 per cent) and Kildare (26 per cent) had the lowest volume of water unaccounted for.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,736 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

could this sort of thing become popular (in new build housing at least)?

another letter in the Times today pointing out the absurdity of using drinking water to flush toilets, wash cars etc

Advertisement