Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MOVEMBER general discussion thread

Options
  • 29-10-2013 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭

As the title suggests - it's almost time for Movember...

Will you be taking part?

How extreme will your tache be?

Feel free to post pics and progress reports as the month goes on...

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

Sadly I won't be taking part as I would have to have stopped shaving in june to grow anything borderline acceptable!
    My brother is doing it, so I guess he'll be getting this year's donation, it'll be amusing though, none of my family have beards or 'taches.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

got the whole family doing it for last few years, by end of november we looked like those chilean miners that got trapped for few weeks underground.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Considering doing it this year. I tested a Tom Selleck look over the long weekend. The family thought it was hysterical and I got a few funny looks when I dropped into the chipper. I'd be self-conscious at the best of times so not sure about how I'd get on with this.
    The site is pretty adamant about keeping it a moustache and not joining to a beard or goatee.
    To anyone who's done it in previous years - how strict is it/should it be?

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Kev.OC

I'd love to take part, but I can't grow the facial hair required. :o:(

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Woodward

already have a beard and work wont let me grow it back if I shave it off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Signed up today as part of work.

However, I've had a beard for a month. How frowned upon is it to not start from scratch?

• Registered Users, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Yep...no tache....I'll grow the goatee back though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I know its for a good cause and everything. But most people that do look like they should be on ABCs to catch a predator. Irish people generally cant pull off facial hair.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

hfallada wrote: »
    Irish people generally cant pull off facial hair.
    I don't think many people can pull off a moustache no matter where they're from. That is the point of Movember. Noone does it for the coolness factor. Most do it and endure the embarrassment and abuse from their friends because it is in aid of a good cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Will be avoiding it like the plague, it's for men who've no goal in life, and who have taken to following the herd. Bereft of imagination, style or individuality it could make a weaker man ashamed to be one...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

naasrd wrote: »
    Will be avoiding it like the plague, it's for men who've no goal in life, and who have taken to following the herd. Bereft of imagination, style or individuality it could make a weaker man ashamed to be one...

Well aren't you a treat

• Registered Users Posts: 14,703 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Which is a roundabout way of saying "I can't grow a beard!!" :pac::pac:

• Administrators Posts: 53,438 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I don't think many people can pull off a moustache no matter where they're from. That is the point of Movember. Noone does it for the coolness factor. Most do it and endure the embarrassment and abuse from their friends because it is in aid of a good cause.

I think the majestic Mr. Selleck would disagree.

magnum-pi-selleck-2.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Kev.OC wrote: »
    I think the majestic Mr. Selleck would disagree.
    I did say 'I don't think many people' rather than 'I don't think anyone'. I chose my words carefully and actually had Tom Selleck in mind when I wrote it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,703 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I've left my trusty Mac 3 razor back home, so I'm accidentally getting on the beard bandwagon for the forseeable. Anyone else a bearer of the black hair/red beard phoneomenon?! Shyts crazy.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I did say 'I don't think many people' rather than 'I don't think anyone'. I chose my words carefully and actually had Tom Selleck in mind when I wrote it ;)

Of course you did. It's Tom Selleck! He's the epitome of many Movember aspirations, and rightly so.

Anyway, I think it's time I stopped letting my man-crush on Tom Selleck derail the threat. :pac:

I think "ginger beard" is the phrase you're looking for Panthro. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Zennith

Joinedn up for this today....thought it would be a bit of craic for a good cause. Problem though is that it may take the month for my upper lip to grow stubble...........

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭KonFusion

What's involved?

Never done it before. Do you just grow a mo and try and raise money or...

Also is there a boardsie team?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

That's it pretty much in a nutshell KonFusion. Have a look at the link in the first post, it explains all about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,328 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Panthro wrote: »
    I've left my trusty Mac 3 razor back home, so I'm accidentally getting on the beard bandwagon for the forseeable. Anyone else a bearer of the black hair/red beard phoneomenon?! Shyts crazy.

Slight difference, have dark blond hair but a dark red beard which I'm 2 weeks into growing at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Doing it with some friends.
    Clean shaven today for the 1st time in years since we're all starting from scratch.
    Design still undecided

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 175 ✭✭sonny jim bob jones

And they are smug bast***s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭The Big Smoke

Brilliant cause and one that has gained serious momentum. If only I could grow a tache' :o.

I'll be donating plenty of money to it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

In 3 years I've raised over a grand for mens health by looking stupid with a ginger tache. What other plagues do you like avoiding? So your goal is to be an asshole?

so.jpg

Apologies mods, I'll take my ban/card. nasserd post really got me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

I've signed up this but I am one of the facially follically challenged so i'm not expecting much growth. I'm in my late twenties but already quite young looking, i'm expecting to get ID'd quite a bit over the coming weeks.

Who knows though, maybe after a week or two it will blossom!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Easy Rod wrote: »
    I've signed up this but I am one of the facially follically challenged so i'm not expecting much growth. I'm in my late twenties but already quite young looking, i'm expecting to get ID'd quite a bit over the coming weeks.

Who knows though, maybe after a week or two it will blossom!

Same here lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

Just wondering if I can print off sponsorship cards and use them or do I have to get the cards from the Irish cancer society. Think I'll get more sponsorship the old fashioned way.

Any suggestions ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I wonder has the effect of Movember been diluted more recently as it seems more than half of guys have beards along with taches these days anyway. Shaving just your beard just doesn't seem as dramatic as a clean shaven guy growing a tache.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Burky126

So this year for Movember,I decided to do something a little different.

I signed up with the website,Gallery Of Mo, to participate in creating Movember portraits in return for donations to various prostate and testicular cancer initiatives and men's mental health charities.

So far,the sites raised over £1800 in mo's and we've just got started! It would be great if you could take part (and get a sweet piece of art in the process!)

If anyone is interested,request a mo'trait on my profile here

Advertisement