Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Jobs

Options
  • 21-04-2011 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

I'm in 5th year and am desperate for a summer job. I've seen some vacancies in the newspaper and am going to apply today, but I feel kinda embarrassed about sending my CV in when the only experience I have is 3 TY work placements and the LCVP one I did this year. Does anyone have any advice on looking for a job and what you should include in your CV/ cover note?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 TheLionKing

I'm in TY and I'm gonna start handing in my CV to business tomorrow. I'm the same I only have 3 TY work placements to put down. My headings are education, employment, skills, interests/achievements, and references and my personal details at the top.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,124 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Call in in person to places - coffee shops, restaurants, etc.. Impress them with your attitude. Point out you'll do any sort of hours they can give you, tell them you don't mind early starts, working nights and weekends etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭DarkDusk

I'm in Junior Cert and started my first day working in a bar/restaurant in the kitchens washing up. I just asked a few weeks ago and now they want me in tomorrow morning, again! You should ask around in all your local cafés, shops etc. and you'll be surprised in how easy you'd get a job. People are complaining about no jobs but a huge majority don't get their name out there and make an effort to get a job.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Worked in retail last summer, and well, I appreciated how easy life is in school after it. :P As spurious said, call into places, and if you're a regular at some shops, ask about it, you have a better chance! (Unless you're known there for the wrong reasons :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭GV_NRG

you have to make your CV look as interesting as possible. i printed off 30 C.V.'s last week, i only gave one out, into the local bar/restaraunt and the next day the owner rang me up wanting me to work this sat and sun for easter! and for all of summer for both waitering and behind the bar! im only in leaving cert by the way.\

one thing i will say though is do things to make your CV look interesting, but dont lie!
    like i said in mine i raised over E600 in one go for charity when i was in 1st yr, which i did.

i also said i am an Occupational First Aider. i reckon this is what got me the job and what set me apart from the rest of the applicants. hope the rest of ye get jobs! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

If your a regular you will get a job easier. Also if you hand in your CV to somewhere it could easily get mislayed so try to contact the place too.
    I got a job in my local shop last year. Only got a couple of days here and there but loved every minute of it :D. Chatting with the locals etc.
    Got a job in a hotel this year housekeeping and it's soooo much harder. I'd quit but it's so hard to get a job anywhere else!

Advertisement