Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I get a Grant or a Scholarship or something?

Options
  • 21-02-2011 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

I'm a 5th year student in Galway who is VERY worried about the future. I don't know what course exactly I wanna do but I'm pretty sure it'l be in the Biology/Chemistry/Health/Medicine area. There are some good courses like that here in Galway for example Biochemistry in NUIG.. BUT I hate my life here in Galway and I'm convinced it won't get better if I stay here so I'm desperate to go to Dublin, Cork or anywhere else tbh, the problem is my parents won't be able to afford it. My brother who is 3 years older is in NUIG and hes hopeless (had to repeat first year), my dad works part-time and my mom wants to retire or at least reduce her hours because shes fed up of work. I'm just wondering how do I know if i'll be able to get a grant and if i cant get one what about scholarships? I know i'll be able to get really high points if i try hard enough.

I've had a lock at the Higher education grant website thingy but none of it makes sense so I would really appreciate if someone could provide some info/advice for me..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

KKBL wrote: »
    I'm a 5th year student in Galway who is VERY worried about the future. I don't know what course exactly I wanna do but I'm pretty sure it'l be in the Biology/Chemistry/Health/Medicine area. There are some good courses like that here in Galway for example Biochemistry in NUIG.. BUT I hate my life here in Galway and I'm convinced it won't get better if I stay here so I'm desperate to go to Dublin, Cork or anywhere else tbh, the problem is my parents won't be able to afford it. My brother who is 3 years older is in NUIG and hes hopeless (had to repeat first year), my dad works part-time and my mom wants to retire or at least reduce her hours because shes fed up of work. I'm just wondering how do I know if i'll be able to get a grant and if i cant get one what about scholarships? I know i'll be able to get really high points if i try hard enough.

I've had a lock at the Higher education grant website thingy but none of it makes sense so I would really appreciate if someone could provide some info/advice for me..

Well first off does your brother get a grant, because if he does normally you would be eligible for it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Musefan

I was very worried about the future aswell when I was in fifth year, as my parents were divorced and my mum was on less than 14000 a year. There are ways to scrimp and save which will pay off. My mum began saving for me at the end of third year. I was eligible for a grant (check your eleigibility out, & providing your circumstances don't change, you will put your mind at ease).

However- Here's the bit that many don't know about. If you have a medical card, you are eleigible for an All Ireland Scholarship, provided that you get very good points in the leaving (I got 545 and was awarded one on this basis). There are two per county as far as I know, but there are fewer secondary schools where I live than I would imagine are in Galway. Still, don't forget that if you have a medical card, this is something you could potentially be offered. The value is 750 euro a month, for nine months of each academic year, for the duration of your couse. It doesn't affect grants, so you get your grant payment too.

Don't worry too much about the financial aspects. I drove myself crazy & in the end, things worked themselves out. I hope it's the same for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Musefan wrote: »
    I was very worried about the future aswell when I was in fifth year, as my parents were divorced and my mum was on less than 14000 a year. There are ways to scrimp and save which will pay off. My mum began saving for me at the end of third year. I was eligible for a grant (check your eleigibility out, & providing your circumstances don't change, you will put your mind at ease).

However- Here's the bit that many don't know about. If you have a medical card, you are eleigible for an All Ireland Scholarship, provided that you get very good points in the leaving (I got 545 and was awarded one on this basis). There are two per county as far as I know, but there are fewer secondary schools where I live than I would imagine are in Galway. Still, don't forget that if you have a medical card, this is something you could potentially be offered. The value is 750 euro a month, for nine months of each academic year, for the duration of your couse. It doesn't affect grants, so you get your grant payment too.

Don't worry too much about the financial aspects. I drove myself crazy & in the end, things worked themselves out. I hope it's the same for you :)
    Sorry to intrude the thread but Musefan may I ask where you applied got the information for the All-Ireland scholarship thing? Thanks!

You get word of it after your leaving results. I hadn't a clue about it until it came in the door. Their website is allirelandscholarships.com, but you cannot pre-apply. You just have to hope for the best. It's funded by J.P McManus. I owe my third level education to him :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

That's absolutely fantastic!! :D, it's good to see that programmes like that exist to help people fulfill their dreams and ambitions!. I may go for that next year! I wonder how many points minimum you would need to achieve in order to get the scholarship

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭KKBL

Musefan wrote: »

Thanks :) I know I'm over-thinking it but i can't help it. My family doesn't have a medical card unfortunetly..
    Well first off does your brother get a grant, because if he does normally you would be eligible for it as well.

No he doesn't get one but I think our circumstances have changed since then and anyway he only got 390 points whereas I'm determined to do a lot better than that so I'm hoping I can get something.

I live in the Gaeltacht so that might work in my favour :?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭AgathaK

As far as I know the grant applications begin in June, forms from local county councils or their website. The points don't matter for the grant.
    Your parents' incom for 2010 is going to be estimated, and grant is going to be awarded on that basis.
    If your parents' income for that year was less than 21000 (I think) you qualify for a full grant + full payment of admin fees. That is about 500 euro per month ( I am also unsure).
    If their income is above that, you'll qualify for lower grants, for rg. of that of 75%.

Have you applied to HEAR? That's if you're worried about your place. You could try. I think they extended the closing date until 1st March, at least I believe so. Got an email off them.

You also get a scholarship if you're applying to UCD and achieve above 540 points. You get a similar scholarship in Maynooth, nut the points are 500.
    It really depends on where you want to go. I'd say the best thing would be to try individual sites of colleges, and simply check out their scholarship section.

But you should deffo apply for a grant from the local authority!

The scholarship scheme in UCD has changed. Above 540 entitles you to a High Acheivers Award (not a monetary scholarship). You only get money in UCD (1000 euro) if you achieve 600 points in the first sitting of the leaving certificate.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭KKBL

AgathaK wrote: »
    As far as I know the grant applications begin in June, forms from local county councils or their website. The points don't matter for the grant.
    Your parents' incom for 2010 is going to be estimated, and grant is going to be awarded on that basis.
    If your parents' income for that year was less than 21000 (I think) you qualify for a full grant + full payment of admin fees. That is about 500 euro per month ( I am also unsure).
    If their income is above that, you'll qualify for lower grants, for rg. of that of 75%.

Have you applied to HEAR? That's if you're worried about your place. You could try. I think they extended the closing date until 1st March, at least I believe so. Got an email off them.

You also get a scholarship if you're applying to UCD and achieve above 540 points. You get a similar scholarship in Maynooth, nut the points are 500.
    It really depends on where you want to go. I'd say the best thing would be to try individual sites of colleges, and simply check out their scholarship section.

But you should deffo apply for a grant from the local authority!

Thanks for all this info I'm assuming by June you mean the month you sit your LC exams?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭sarahisainmdom

Anyone know anything about scholarships for UL or if there's any that depend on the amount of points you get over the actual amount you need for your course?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭AgathaK

Advertisement