Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

savaged by my cat

Options
  • 29-01-2011 3:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭

Ow, I just took my little female cat to the vet for a booster vacc. She's the good cat, I never have trouble with giving her pills or handling her. She's been in and out of the vets a lot, had surgery. Anyway... she went completely vicious when the vet ran his hand down her back, spitting, yowling, and she's ripped my hand to shreds. He couldn't given the shot - obviously, and I had to leave dripping blood all the way. He thought maybe she's been to the vet so much that she's terrified, but it's so out of character I'm thinking there must be something wrong with her. I'm thinking of taking her to another vet and asking them to knock her out straight away and check her - but I can't afford it right now. I've been running my (other) hand over her, and there's not a peep out of her. What can I do if my cat is going to go mental every time we go for a simple booster???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Has she been spayed? Their temperment can completely change when they go into heat. My cat used to yowl and stick her arse up in the air and scream the place down when ever you so much as looked at her, if she was in heat but not yet ready to be mated she may have interpreted the hand running down her back as another cat trying to mate her but she could have been telling him (the hand) she wasn't ready? Just a thought.

Knocking her out to examine her is a bit much I think, there's not much you can do anyways when she's sedated as she wouldn't be able to tell you she's in pain once you've hit a sore spot (if that's the reason for the attack).

How is she with other people rubbing her? Could it just be that she doesn't like strangers touching her, even though you say she's been at the vets before, how was she the other times?

There are cat muzzles you can buy, along with actually muzzling her so that she can't bite they also calm cats because they cannot see around them they generally calm down a bit. Bring a towel along with you next time as well and wrap her in the towel so that her claws cannot reach around to scratch anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

This was just an unfortunate incident and I wouldn't assume there's anything else wrong with her, especially if she's not displaying any pain or discomfort at home.

Your vet may have had scents on his clothing or hands that really bothered your cat, or a manner that made her very defensive. You can try a few drops of rescue remedy on the backs of her ears next time just before you take her to the vet.

Alternatively see if the vet will do a home visit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

yes she's spayed. And she's the most gentle cat, I never have bother giving her pills, unlike the other cat who struggles. She's been to the vet probably 6 times in the last year and never done this. That's why I'm a bit shocked at this sudden transformation. I'm going to have to try another vet next week, as she still needs the booster. This time it'll be the shot straight away, before any general checkover. Maybe I'll bring gloves:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭Goldenegg

My cat is the most timid 10 year old little "kitten"- I say kitten because even though she is the age she is, she has alot of energy and goes on like a kitten.

We left her into the vet a few years back to get a procedure done and when we returned, the vet showed me her arms and said, your cat is on our top ten list for vicious cats...

This was not the normal vet that we normally attend, she was a replacement and this is what I was thinking, that the cat just didn't like her. But i nearly died when I was told how mad my cat went. If I were you I'd just try a new vet...

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Adventure Pout

was s/he the same vet that your cat went to see?
    some vets are very bad with handling cats.
    My cat is very gentle, not aggressive or anything for such a big big tom cat but when i took him to the vet..it was a different vet that my normal vet, and she obviously does not know how to handle cats..My cat growled, hissed, spit, showed his teeth etc...with that, the vet got even nastier to my poor kitty..
    So i decided to try another vet clinic, and even if my cat does not like visiting the vet, he was extremely calm and nice with the new vet..
    Went back to that clinic and it was another vet girl, and my kitty was very good even though he growled a bit..
    so really, it depends on how vets are handling and acting with your kitty..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

It was a new vet for her, my other cat was fine with him though. I guess they're just unpredictable individuals. I'd understand it if she had been growling, but there was no warning - she seemed fine and a second later all hell broke loose. Anyway, I've had a good check and she doesn't seem to be in any pain so I guess I can put the whole thing down to bad temper.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,829 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

planetX wrote: »
    He couldn't given the shot - obviously, and I had to leave dripping blood all the way.

Get a competent vet. Firstly a good vet would of seen the warning signs & calmed the cat down. Secondly a good vet would of still of given the shot. There is no need to knock an animal out just for a vaccination.

A thick towel is an essential standby & should never be far from a vet's reach. Throw the towel over the animal, secure it & then carefully open a bit of it to get at the area that you need to work on. Keep a thick towel to cover the cat box with in the waiting room & then you have it to hand if needed.

The vet was at fault not the cat.

Advertisement