Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bandit ferrets as pets

Options
  • 11-12-2010 1:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Hi all!

Moved into an apartment recently and have been wondering about a pet which wont take up too much space, ferrets seem to be a favourite everywhere except ireland!!! Really i am trying to find out about getting them descented and castrated/spayed and where i could find one (when they are in season) and basically anyone who has owned one let me know what they were like etc

Thanks
    jaimy
    Tagged:

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

Hey there, I've got a pair of ferret brothers and have to say they are truly one of the best pets i've ever gotten (and my house is filled with cats, dogs, reptiles, fish and rodents!!) Ferrets make very little noise(One of mine makes no noise at all, though the other squeaks a little). I would recomend getting two rather than one, they absolutely adore company. They're only awake for maybe four/five hours a day (they sleep an awful lot) so its great for when I'm working and come home just as they wake up. You're best off getting ferrets when they're ten to twelve weeks old (be warned, they are extremely nippy when young, now six months old, neither of mine nip) If they bite, your best bet is to make a loud noise or gently tap them on the nose. Their jaws are extremely strong; of the two times I was bitten, both drew blood. I would reccommend a male over a female as well; the males aren't as nippy as the females and the females can be quite independent.
    On the topic of descenting and neutering, you will definitely have to get a ferret neutered. It can be expensive, its a bit more intricate than a dog or cat, but it is worth it. Male ferrets can become quite aggressive if not neutered by six months (not to mention it cuts down on their scent) and females will come into heat. There is no need to descent though, neither of mine were and the musky smell is practically gone; you wouldn't even know we had ferrets in the house.
    The other thing you will have to get done is a canine distemper vaccination; if they catch it, its fatal and unfortunately, we can pick it up on our clothes just walking around and bring it back into the house without knowing.
    Most kits are available from february/march onwards but you'll have trouble finding a pet one (Dont buy from a pet shop, no telling where they came from!!) You will probably have to contact someone who bred them for hunting but its very easy to tame them. My two run around with our cats and have never tried to hurt them.
    They are amazing pets with an undeserved reputation for viciousness. Both of mine will lick my face like puppies and sleep on my shoulder. I really cant recommend them enough.

((Man I wrote way too much there. Hope it helps though :D))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 jaimy

yeah it does help loads! what kind do ya have? i dont really like the look of the brown/ tan ones polecats i think but the black and white fellas bandits i think they are called look lovely. how much does the spaying cost cos the ferrets themselves seem to be around 30 euro for pet breeds but dont really wanna spend 500 euro or somethin mad like that just to neuter them. Do ya know how long they live cos id hate to get attached and a year or two later they die!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

Glad I could help. I've got a polecat and a cinnamon (kind of a golden colour, though he's cream/white now during the winter) their coat lightens up a lot during the colder months. As far as i can tell, polecats and bandits are the exact same thing, the ones they call bandits are probably just pics taken during the summer when their coats are darker. There are a lot of different shades and patterns in all of the colours.
    It cost me 180 euro to neuter the two, so 90 for each one, which isn't too bad. Spaying a female is more though; its a bigger procedure. Ferrets live to about seven years old and some can even reach ten years old if well taken care of.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭dvet

If you're looking for an experienced ferret vet for the spaying/castrating etc, Bairbre O'Malley would be most well known 'exotics' vet in the country, don't know where you live but she's based in Bray. I would say anyone that's ever been to her before would recommend her... she's very experienced & very well liked! :)

Ah i see didnt know that bout the coat colour! 180 isnt bad at all!!! was thinking about 2 males ive just read that they are more companion like versus the females that they are apparently quite independent and somewhat bitchy!! Thanks Dvet for the vet info cos i would definately want someone experienced handling it seems its quite complicated for ferrets so wouldnt want any damage done by a first timer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Ireland has a long history of keeping ferrets, but it is mostly for work which is why we are also one of the cheapest country's to buy one, It is important to get them while their young and ask about the runt of the litter as they will make the best pets. I made the mistake of buying my first Ferret when it was already 4 months old, it seemed very aggressive and wanted to sink its teeth into anything that moves, still have scares till this day, the 2nd one I got was so good. I got him in Bray and he was just a few weeks old, just like a dog he learnt that biting was not acceptable. He was one of the best pets I ever owned. My ferret cost about 40 euros to neuter in Artane, not a big operation at all and the amount of anesthetic they use is very little so dont get ripped off.

Hi All, We are getting into ferret season now so trying to find people who are breeding pet ferretts, Would like to meet parents of kits first to see how well behaved etc they are and also would like to take them as early as possible to begin training as young as possible(avoid the snappiness) im very interested in 2 polecat(bandit) males

Advertisement