Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brockhill Kennels and Cattery in Laois.

Options
  • 25-11-2010 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

Anyone used them? Would you recommend them?

I may be boarding two cats and a dog with them in a few weeks. They look good but I don't know anyone who has used them before.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

I hope you have a booking or at least a provisional one!! My parents are within walking distance of them and have never been able to get a place for the dog there in the 6 years since they moved into the area-they actually board her in a place in Kildare, or I take her when i can.

I don't know of anyone in the area who has used them either, and there are a lot of dog owners in the Portarlington, Killenard, Emo and Ballybrittas area's, many of whom i would know very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

Yup we have booked it. :) We had no problem booking but that might just be that its over christmas. I would just love to ear from anyone who has used them before so that I won't be worrying!:o

shinikins wrote: »
    I hope you have a booking or at least a provisional one!! My parents are within walking distance of them and have never been able to get a place for the dog there in the 6 years since they moved into the area-they actually board her in a place in Kildare, or I take her when i can.

I don't know of anyone in the area who has used them either, and there are a lot of dog owners in the Portarlington, Killenard, Emo and Ballybrittas area's, many of whom i would know very well.

Actually would you be able tell me their address please? I know they are near Ballybritas but what road etc? I can only find a partial one online and I don't want to be ringing until a nearer time?

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

A friends boxer was in there 3 yrs ago, swore never would she leave a dog in kennels anymore. came back with a cut paw, which they didnt tell her about, which meant the powder vet gave dog they never got. they only found out by chance when there dog started limping and their vet was kennel vet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

Wouldn't take my pets anywhere else.never had a problem booking either.Which direction you coming from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

When you get to ballybrittas look for sign for sean eacrett antiques,turn into the road for the antiques place follow road all the way down and its at the back of the antiques shop.

We ended up using this kennel for the cats and dogs in the end, had them there for 4 days over the christmas. Was so disappointed and am still raging and upset over it.

The website says they were heated but the place was freezing, especially the kennels and I only saw one small heater for a large barn type building.

When we picked the animals up all the bedding was damp and stank especially the poor dogs. The dog had peed on her bedding and it hadn't been changed at all even though we brought spares.

We brought our own food but when we collected the dog had different food in its bowl.

The dog was in a right state, her hair falling out with stress and her paws red raw. She was on steroids while in there and when we got home we noticed half those were missing.:mad:

Would never use them again especially for a dog.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

We ended up using this kennel for the cats and dogs in the end, had them there for 4 days over the christmas. Was so disappointed and am still raging and upset over it.

The website says they were heated but the place was freezing, especially the kennels and I only saw one small heater for a large barn type building.

When we picked the animals up all the bedding was damp and stank especially the poor dogs. The dog had peed on her bedding and it hadn't been changed at all even though we brought spares.

We brought our own food but when we collected the dog had different food in its bowl.

The dog was in a right state, her hair falling out with stress and her paws red raw. She was on steroids while in there and when we got home we noticed half those were missing.:mad:

Would never use them again especially for a dog.:mad:
    that is why as i stated above i would never use them, her boxer came back injured and she said the same, dog came back stinking and the dog bed she left there had to be chucked. did you complain. though it will prob do no good, as my mate said when she did they really didnt care.
    my mate and i and a few other uses a nice lady that minds the dogs in her house and treats them as she does her pets. would never use a kennel anymore

that is why as i stated above i would never use them, her boxer came back injured and she said the same, dog came back stinking and the dog bed she left there had to be chucked. did you complain. though it will prob do no good, as my mate said when she did they really didnt care.
    my mate and i and a few other uses a nice lady that minds the dogs in her house and treats them as she does her pets. would never use a kennel anymore.

There was only a young girl there when we were collecting so we didn't bother :rolleyes:. Might get on to the Ibkca. Apparently they are registered with them. Thats one of the main reasons I picked them in the first place. :rolleyes:

Oh I'm so sorry to hear that-I guess thats why the locals don't use them. I hope the dog isn't too stressed, and that being home again has settled her. If you ever need to kennel her again, i can highly recommend Fircroft Kennels in Rathangan-a bit of a hike to get there for us but well worth it!!

Please do complain-its the only way that substandard places like this will ever change their ways :(

• Advertisement

shinikins wrote: »
    Oh I'm so sorry to hear that-I guess thats why the locals don't use them. I hope the dog isn't too stressed, and that being home again has settled her. If you ever need to kennel her again, i can highly recommend Fircroft Kennels in Rathangan-a bit of a hike to get there for us but well worth it!!

Please do complain-its the only way that substandard places like this will ever change their ways :(

Thanks will check that out :). Shes still a bit clingy as are the cats but is much more settled now. Oh the guilt!:o

www.fircroft.ie

I've recommended them on Boards before and have no hesitation in doing so again. Our dog(she's actually the parents, but i can't stop calling her "ours" :D) is old, infirm and needs medical attention daily and she has never come away from Fircroft in less than the best condition, well fed and happy(no small feat as she's very clingy and pines desperately when my parents go on holidays) One of the big things for me anyway, was the fact that they welcome visitors daily, and the entire property is pristine. They also take cats so perhaps they might be a solution for the next time you need to board the pets.

Best of luck!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

yes i have my reservations about this kennels although i have used them before. my dog does seem ok with them - she gets excited when we pull up but the runs are pretty much outdoor and i think they'd be very cold in winter. one of the girls is lovely and really seems to care about the dogs but there is another younger girl who doesnt seem to care. i texted them when i was away to see if she was ok and it took them over 24hrs to reply!!! also she has come home filthy and smelly and her bed has been filthy - she tends to sleep for 24hours so i reckon she enjoys the other dogs but overall finds it stressful. Bit worried now as i have another new dog - a rescue and i don't think he'd like it there at all - might have to try fircroft!

Advertisement