Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended Internal Filter?

Options
  • 23-01-2015 11:30am
    Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have a 160 L Marina branded tank that originally came with two Marina S20 filters. They hang our the back of the tank, have four filters each, and you're supposed to change out one filter from each every month. Anyway, when I was cleaning the tank last night, I noticed one filter wasn't active. Took it out, seems dead.

Anyway, I think I will just replace it with a internal filter. Any recommendations on a make or model? I'll try the local aquarium shop, but am willing to buy online.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Checked in underwaterworld in Castletroy, they recommended a JBL i100, over the fluval u4.

Pretty happy for the price for a bricks and mortar shop, and the advice I got. Recommended this over the other one due to it's filter system. Has three filter compartments which you can change depending on your requirements, and it's a corner mounted one, so should fit better.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Wobbly_Legs

JBL and Fluval are both decent filters.

Personally I would also go with the JBL over the Fluval as you are buying new.

I have an ancient Fluval internal running in tandem with other filters on one of my tanks, which years ago I tinkered with a bit to give me more options for filter media. I must say I can vouch for the Fluvals Lifespan, mine being close to 15 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

Eheim pick up 2012 filter all the way!
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Eheim-Pick-Up-Internal-Filter-100-200/dp/B004UHEBWM

Fluval sand jbl are horribly over priced In comparison and I find eheim is a lower wattage and more effient.

I swapped my jbl for a eheim external and have been thrilled with it, crystal clear water and easy to clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

I had the Eheim pickup in my tank 120 litres & it is just not strong enough. Ended up buying the Fluval & with 3 types of media in it, I am finding it much better. My pickup just had a sponge in it.

Knine wrote: »
    I had the Eheim pickup in my tank 120 litres & it is just not strong enough. Ended up buying the Fluval & with 3 types of media in it, I am finding it much better. My pickup just had a sponge in it.

You only really need a sponge In a filter. The fluval use carbon which is for absorbing toxins when cycling a tank and for absorbing surplus medicines and copper in the water.
    Fluval also comes with ceramics which are ammonia absorbers, great if the tank is uncycled but unecessary in the long run.

Which pickup did you use? I've use eheim for all of my aquariums, currently have a n Ecco pro external in my planted tropical and ran pick ups for my marine quarantine aquariums. Used a eheim return pump for my 600l marine. No issues with any of the eheim filters I used when it came to strenght.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,150 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Another recommendation for the Eheim's here. Using them in two tanks over the past year.

I used the Pickup 160. Had high Ammonia Levels. Was advised by petshop the Pickup was not good powerful enough for my tank.

I brought the Fluval U3. Found it much better & Ammonia now 0

I used the Pickup 160. Had high Ammonia Levels. Was advised by petshop the Pickup was not good powerful enough for my tank.

I brought the Fluval U3. Found it much better & Ammonia now 0

Hmm strange I used a pickup 160 in a 150l marine and the flow was great.

A lot of it comes down to the tank though. And what's in it and such, so while one filter may woke well in one tank it may not work as well in another.

At least the fluval is working well for you!

I've had the 160 in a 100l tank running on it's lowest setting for about 3 years with no problems and now, after a good clean and a change of filter media, it's running in a 96l marine tank where it's working brilliantly.

I'd suspect that either you were using the filter in too big a tank, had it set too low and / or were doing something to disturb the bacteria colony during water changes or something like that... It's possible you got a dud but you're genuinely the first person I've heard of to have a negative experience with the pickups.

I had it on the highest setting. The tank is a 120 litre. The original filter stopped working & I replaced it with the EHEIM. The tank then cycled again & nothing seemed to get the Ammonia down. The petshop staff said the EHEIMs were crap & that was my problem. So I got the Fluval & now the problem is solved. Thank God! I'm wondering now if it was a dud!

• Advertisement

rule 1: never believe a word you hear in a petshop ;-)

I had it on the highest setting. The tank is a 120 litre. The original filter stopped working & I replaced it with the EHEIM. The tank then cycled again & nothing seemed to get the Ammonia down. The petshop staff said the EHEIMs were crap & that was my problem. So I got the Fluval & now the problem is solved. Thank God! I'm wondering now if it was a dud!

I'd say it was a dud eheim, strange how you were told eheims were crap, they're the brand that is the most commonly used by advanced aquarists.

Advertisement