Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Jim McDaids money for old rope

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

danman wrote: »
    Did I just hear on the 9 o'clock news on newstalk that McDaid said he has been giving his pension to charity for the past few years?

I might have picked it up wrong, I wasn't paying much attention at the time.

Of so, fair play to him. It explains why he has been playing the media for the past week.
    Indeed he did say that he has been giving the pension to charity for the last 4 or 5 years. However, he didn't mention which charity! (see here)
    I would also like to know if he claimed tax back on these gifts.

As for his compadre, noel Treacy who "selflessly" is now going to give his pension to charity, apparently he cannot afford to do without his extra €167 per week. And those out of work think they have it bad!
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/0506/breaking38.html

• Registered Users Posts: 54,589 ✭✭✭✭walshb

How about these ****ers just give the money back to us, the taxpayer. Charity my arse.
    There are plenty of people in the tax net that could do with some bloody charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

A story appeared on todays Sunday Mail in which a reporter was given a sick note by McDaid in order to miss work to spend time with friends. McDaid, knowing there was nothing wrong with him, still gave him a sick cert. No doubt he will do his usual trick and say that this was just a media witch hunt too.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

In fairness to him (and I'm not condoning this), many doctors apparently do this for people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

kbannon wrote: »
    In fairness to him (and I'm not condoning this), many doctors apparently do this for people.

Yes, but it's like speeding; if you're caught, you don't start bleating about witch-hunts.....you take the "fair cop" and take your punishment like a man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

kbannon wrote: »

Agreed, but it is a personal gripe of mine. These Doctors are in essence taking part in a form of fraud

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Agreed, but it is a personal gripe of mine. These Doctors are in essence taking part in a form of fraud

Many times Doctors do this, they say it is because of patient stress.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

It is money that he legally should not be allowed to be claim, whether or not he gives it to charity. Why the government can't bring in legislation that a person can only get a pension when they have finished working completly I will never know. Even in my profession of teaching,

Perhaps our tax is being wasted on your teaching salary aswell, is your statement not a direct contradiction of itself? Is this the level of education our kids are getting!!!
    If there is no legislation against it then it is legally his.
    McDaid has stated that he does not believe he is entitled to the pension, he wants a rational debate in the dail to amend the situation and not for the country to be ran by the press who basically want to sell more papers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

A story appeared on todays Sunday Mail in which a reporter was given a sick note by McDaid in order to miss work to spend time with friends. McDaid, knowing there was nothing wrong with him, still gave him a sick cert. No doubt he will do his usual trick and say that this was just a media witch hunt too.

How did McDaid know there was nothing wrong with him?

This is a load of bullsheet, these guys should have better things to do than arseboxing with doctors.

Could jeopardise a genuinely ill person.

I have no time for Mcdaid, but this kind of stuff is stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Perhaps our tax is being wasted on your teaching salary aswell, is your statement not a direct contradiction of itself? Is this the level of education our kids are getting!!!
    If there is no legislation against it then it is legally his.
    McDaid has stated that he does not believe he is entitled to the pension, he wants a rational debate in the dail to amend the situation and not for the country to be ran by the press who basically want to sell more papers.
    and now he wants rational debate on fake sicknotes, will his selfishness never end

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Well said actually you're quite the Psychic :D

From the Independent Link
    The Donegal North-East TD said he was glad he had been the victim of a sting operation by a newspaper as it had shown the extent to which "some elements" of the media would go for a story about him.

That bad, bad, mean unfair, Media going out of their way to make him look bad......

Advertisement