Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike problem

Options
  • 24-04-2009 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭

Basically the bike is misfiring and it seems at idle to be struggling to stay at 1,000rpm. This is after it had to be left out in the rain after two days. There is also a feeling of chugging when accelerating.

Bike is a kawa ER-6n

Does anybody have any ideas? Could it be something like a spark plug I can do myself? Bit strapped for cash at the moment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

It does sound like water gathering in/around the plugs alright, so start there, it won't cost you anything.

Take it to a garage and using the airline, blow air all around/in the spark plug area to dry it out.

Then, take off and clean the cap thoroughly, and the lead(s). Re-fit, and liberally spray either WD-40/GT85 or similar in there.

I'd be inclined to give a squirt of it on all connectors, into kill switch, ignition switch etc (no need to dismantle anything, it'll find it's way in........)

Do that for as start.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

Yeah there are basically three things to check when it comes to combustion: fuel, air and ignition. For the ignition check plugs, caps, HT leads and coils for signs of water or wear. For fuel drain the bowl of your carb and see if there's any water in that. Also make sure your tank is breathing properly and the carb bowl is filling. For air, make sure your air box is not blocked and the filter inside the box is clean. Also, if you're having idling problems you should check the pipes that go from the airbox to the carb to make sure they're not split and also any connections between the carb and the engine. If they have even the slightest split, the bike will be sucking too much air which affects the fuel:air ratio and causes poor idling.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Thanks, I'll try to do most of that after work today.

Thanks, I'll try to do most of that after work today.

Keep us posted

Spark plug popped out. I am one very unhappy bunny as my bike only very recentley went through a full service and its in a position where I can't get to it. There are going to be some very angry phone calls tommorow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Are the thread pulled on the head or was it just not tightened ?

bushy... wrote: »
    Are the thread pulled on the head or was it just not tightened ?

The shop is saying it broke in two.

So far I have heard, it was the fault of the last service which was done 1,000km before theirs. I was only told their was stuff under the seat stating this. Funny they only choose to mention this after problems arise, not before I paid for the service.

That they never touched the sparkplugs after I paid for a full service which I believe to be an integral part of it. Makes me question if they actually did anything besides replace the front tyre.

That the sparkplug broke into two pieces, the thread remaining in the socket and the rest(cap etc) breaking free. He's going to "show" it to me when I get in to collect it. Have to ring them in the next hour to see if they sourced new plugs for the bike.

I'm going to see what I'm charged for, then I'm going to name and shame. This is a bed of lies and deceit so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭pajodublin

just a quick question sorry to hijack the thread
    but my moped is misfiring too, usually only after a wet day
    could it be wet plugs, any way to prevent in the future?

pajodublin wrote: »
    just a quick question sorry to hijack the thread
    but my moped is misfiring too, usually only after a wet day
    could it be wet plugs, any way to prevent in the future?

This is quite common with mopeds. Check to see that the spark plug cap is making a good seal where it enters the top of the piston. I have also seen this caused by a broken/very short front mud guard or a missing piece of fairing which allowed water to get splashed up into places it would normally not go.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭pajodublin

thanks waraf

• Advertisement
Advertisement