Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

4 string Bass with low B

Options
  • 01-12-2004 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭

I'm just wondering if anyone has done this or has advice on this procedure:

Basically I have a 4 string bass and what I want to do is put a low B string on it so that it's like a 5 string bass (without the G string) so that instead of being strung like this (high to low) G,D,A,E it's strung as D,A,E,B. I figure I may have to file the nut a bit to accommodate the thicker gauge string but I think my biggest concern is whether the neck will bend under the extra pressure. Will I have to adjust the truss rod in this case? Are there any other factors I'm missing?

I'd rather not have to bring it to a shop and shell out for the sake of an experiment. If I had the spare cash I'd probably just buy a 5 string but I don't at the moment :( The guitar in question is an old Squire Precision Bass which has served me well so I'd rather not break it :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Yeah, tried this out about 10 years ago. Yes, you'll need to file the nut, probably each string slot and you may also need to file the bridge. A lot of 4 string bass bridges won't take strings as big as a 125, and you'll need a 125 or maybe a 130 to make it work. You'll need to do a general setup job anyway, same as if you were to leave it in E and put on a different gauge of strings. You'll need to intonate and tweak the neck but it shouldn't be anything dramatic. It's not major work and should be straightforward enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Doctor J wrote:
    Yeah, tried this out about 10 years ago. Yes, you'll need to file the nut, probably each string slot and you may also need to file the bridge. A lot of 4 string bass bridges won't take strings as big as a 125, and you'll need a 125 or maybe a 130 to make it work. You'll need to do a general setup job anyway, same as if you were to leave it in E and put on a different gauge of strings. You'll need to intonate and tweak the neck but it shouldn't be anything dramatic. It's not major work and should be straightforward enough.

Cheers for the reply Doc! One part I left out of the previous post was whether the process will cause any problems if/when I change back to the "normal" G,D,A,E setup ie will the E string tend to go out of tune easier now that it's got more space both at the nut and the bridge to move around in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

You may need to replace the nut, depending on your skill with the round file. The Squier Precision has a fairly straight string path from bridge to tuner so you should get away with it. Just be very careful, if you have to file the hole in the bridge, that you make it only big enough for the string and not the ball end, that'd be the big worry.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

If you're interested, I've a cheap 4 string bass for sale over on the for sale instruments board. At least that way you won't **** up your main bass :D

Advertisement