Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking near Holles Street

Options
  • 05-05-2011 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Due date is tomorrow and delivery will be in Holles Street all going well. Does anyone know of any free parking spots in the vicinity?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Best of luck!

From what I remember from my time there 10 months ago, the following "SHOULD" be free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Good luck Swampy. The North side of Merrion Square used to be free - not sure if it still is. All other sides are paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Thank you both. I will do some investigating.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Dublin Mum

Get a taxi (don't say you're in labour though!)- you don't need that hassle of looking for free parking or worrying about moving the car when you've exceeded your free time when you're in labour or about to give birth. Best of luck, you're nearly there!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

please do not rely on those free parking spaces unless you are in the hospital in the middle of the night, after 7am you havent a hope of getting.

they were full at 9am on Good Friday!!

if possible get a taxi, you dont know how long you are going to be there for and its a pain to be running in and out putting money in the meter nevermind expensive. also Merrion Square has a 2 hour max. stay policy, so you would be moving the car every two hours.

if its not possible to get a taxi, you could park in the Setanta Centre Car Park on Nassau Street.

i work directly across the road from the hospital, parking is a complete nightmare around there, i have had many raised voice conversations with people who seem to think it is okay to park across the gateway to our carpark :mad::mad:

• Advertisement

Hi all,

Baby came last sunday. Beautiful girl. Below is my spots parking for free parking and also a small private carpark (beside Mamma Mia, an amazing italian eatery). the carpark only has 15ish spaces but there is a ramp down to a underground carpark, and that ramp fits 3 cars but people mostly don't park there, I got those spaces twice. Carpark is only €10 for 12 hours.

2ntlojd.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Congrats Swampy. All went well obviously. I'd be happy with the 10-fingers 10-toes report but the women here will want to know the weight, labour time etc - so don't ixnay with the details :)

She was 7lbs 12 oz. Lovely dark hair. Labour was relatively fast. Our first baby and when my wife got measured she was a good 1cm. Broke the waters within ten mins bring in the hospital. Epidural in in the next ten mins. Then 6cm after 2 hours etc. So start time in hospital 4.45pm, baby born 12.32am. Epidural was INCREDIBLE.

Picking baby up from hospital this afternoon. She had a few slight problems to sort out but is perfect now. Exciting times.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭irishmanmick

Congrats Swampy

Used the same car park when our little princess was born in Jan and always got a space. Midwife put me onto it after I had to leave for the 2nd time to put money in the meter!

For those of you who still have it all ahead of you. If you can't get free parking and have to park in a metered space, you can register with DCC for a parking disc at http://www.parkingtag.ie/

That way you can top up the meter by text rather than leave the labour ward!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Congrats Swampy!

Irishmanmick, thanks a million for that tip! Have registered for one now, no more dragging bags of coin in when I have checkups scheduled now! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Congrats...
    That way you can top up the meter by text rather than leave the labour ward!

+1 great system.

Those free spaces are rare as anything. I wouldn't rely on them at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Fidge13

Swampy wrote: »
    Hi all,

Baby came last sunday. Beautiful girl. Below is my spots parking for free parking and also a small private carpark (beside Mamma Mia, an amazing italian eatery). the carpark only has 15ish spaces but there is a ramp down to a underground carpark, and that ramp fits 3 cars but people mostly don't park there, I got those spaces twice. Carpark is only €10 for 12 hours.

anyone know if that car park is still operational? What are the chances of getting a car in there at various times of the day? Baby due any day now - i have the parking tag but dont fancy paying E3.80 per hour or whatever it is.......

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Balinov

Hi Folks, anyone could recommend a good parking space around Holles street? That tiny parking at Grattan place doesn't exist anymore (according to Parkopedia) and my best guess would be Merrion Sq East (or North, wherever I can find a place) and use parkingtag mobile app to tag in every 180m.

btw, someone mentioned here you can only park there for 2hrs, but the post is 3yrs old.Other idea of mine is parking right besides the KBC Bank Building at Sandwidth str. Upper. Was parking there 2wks ago at the 37th wk checkup and two CCTV of the bank pointing to the very same parking slots was looking quite convincing...and that's zone Yello, not red for 3.10€/h

Any idea would be more than welcomed :)
    Balinov

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Balinov wrote: »
    Hi Folks, anyone could recommend a good parking space around Holles street? That tiny parking at Grattan place doesn't exist anymore (according to Parkopedia) and my best guess would be Merrion Sq East (or North, wherever I can find a place) and use parkingtag mobile app to tag in every 180m.

btw, someone mentioned here you can only park there for 2hrs, but the post is 3yrs old.Other idea of mine is parking right besides the KBC Bank Building at Sandwidth str. Upper. Was parking there 2wks ago at the 37th wk checkup and two CCTV of the bank pointing to the very same parking slots was looking quite convincing...and that's zone Yello, not red for 3.10€/h

Any idea would be more than welcomed :)
    Balinov

We used park by text. It's brill :) we parked in this little lane/alley right next to holles street. OH is great at the directions I didn't have a notion. It is so close that I thought it was a special entrance for ambulances/food deliveries! It is literally right beside holles street that when you come out you will see all the smokers! It is €3.10 per hour. I think it's just pay parking till 10pm. I only stayed a few hours so I don't know how busy it usually is! There is ok way I could of gotten a taxi as my waters broke at home! Best of luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Depends why you are parking there. One option is to drive in and get a friend who is covered by insurance to take the car home. Or drop off the partner for visits park near a Dublin Bike stand and cycle back.

10 mins walk and you're in town, so you don't have to park right beside it.

Anybody any recommendations for cheap parking for Holles Street now, in December 2016? I'll be driving in later this week so I'd expect there to be small car parks somewhere here. I'm not sure what people mean by "free parking" when they seem to be paying €10 or something low like that for it. And I've never seen a 'free parking' place on Merrion Square (or anywhere else in Dublin City) so if people could enlighten me on it that would be appreciated.

750m from Holles Street is Q Park Grand Canal Square and it costs €20 for 24 hours. Q Park also have a car park on Stephen's Green and the Setanta car park next to Dáil Éireann. Both are also €20 for 24 hours.

Any nearer options?

Advertisement