Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Rig

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Eh, it's €1625!!!

Although, it is an ESP...

Honestly worth €2400?

Somehow I doubt it.

To me? No... Because I'm not a fan of Ibanez at all, and I have actually played my old guitar teacher's Jem and wasn't too gone on it. But it saying that, I would've spent the €2400 on the BC Rich Stealth if I had the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Zoton

• Advertisement

Cheers but I really don't like the PRS style for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

The Jems are much cheaper on Ishibashi.

Feylya, unless you know what you want you won't be happy with whatever you buy. So until you know, I'd say just sit tight with what you've got and save like a bastard.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Zoton

feylya wrote:
    Cheers but I really don't like the PRS style for some reason.
    So would the les paul/esp ec1000 be your favourite shape then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 800 ✭✭✭dabhoys

Saving is the best way. But can be hard to do when you suffer from GAS. You know what I'm talking bout doc ;)
    Doctor J wrote:
    The Jems are much cheaper on Ishibashi.

Feylya, unless you know what you want you won't be happy with whatever you buy. So until you know, I'd say just sit tight with what you've got and save like a bastard.

Just thought it might be worth noting that the exchange rate for euros to dollars is really quite good at the moment, feylya. So for example, the 6-string Leviathan with a floating trem is $1850, that works out at €1391. And the 7-string with a floating trem is the same price.

Not too shabby at all, in my view.
    So might not want to rule out those babies just yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Eoin Madsen

Also worth remembering that prices in the EU are always quoted with VAT, prices in dollars are always given without VAT. And items coming from outside the EU are also eligable for customs duty.

$1850 works out more like €1738. It's still the best time to buy US though. :)

$1=€0.75 this week. Christmas is on ebay this year...

Feyla just so you know a crap guitar through an amazing amp isn't going to sound amazing. If its crap it will sound crap through anything.

I've a mesa dual rect and I can assure you a crap guitar through it sounds crap!!!

Take your time and buy a proper high end guitar. Its worth it in the long run. Once you've stepped over into the realm of quality instruments theres no going back.

I went from playing a Epi LP custom to a PRS McCarty and haven't looked back since. I then went the hog wild and bought the Gibson Les Paul Custom and I can assure the quality goes along way. You feel it when you play the guitars. When your dealing with 'tone' there is a flow that it follows and its obvious. The guitar is the first link in the chain. It the most vital. A good quality guitar means you've a strong start. I have no problem playing through a **** little marshall combo I will get the tone I want out of any amp you give me. Its also about the player. You put jimmy page with any set up you want he will still sound like Jimmy Page!!! I can assure the Guitar is the most critical element of the Set up.

Don't waste your money on a big guitar rig. I have a half stack set up and I Can assure its not all its cracked up to be!!!

Buy a quality guitar man is the best advice I can give ya. Also listen to the Doc he knows what he's talking about!!! The japanese are quite amazing at what they do.

First of all, thanks to everyone for their advice.

I wouldn't dream of going for a half stack at this stage of playing for two reasons. One, it's huge and impossible to transport around and two, I've no need for one. Any gigs that I'll play will be miced.

I don't consider my main guitar to be crap at all. I like it, the sound and feel of it. I know that it sounds better through a better amp than I'm running at the moment.

My logic on this is, I need new gear. A new, high quality guitar would be very nice of course. However, there is not one guitar that makes me drool within that price range. I'd love an ESP M-II custom but they're pushing €6000. So I figure why not use the money I'll be getting (hopefully), spend it on a decent rig and then add a guitar to it when I find one that I really really want and can afford.

And items coming from outside the EU are also eligable for customs duty.

Ah, now you see, that's where I'm going to be rather clever and once I get this guitar, I'll claim that it was a guitar I had bought over here and that it had to be sent back to the manufacturer. :D

Don't tell everyone! The taxman is famed for his sneakiness and his abilty to sniff out a good scam like a fat man sniffs out bacon.

You didn't see me, roight?

Studios suck donkey balls... or so I've heard.

Seriously though man, you'd get a mint Standard from Chris for near enough that figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

They're like Mex Fenders. The quality varies greatly. I'm in the awkward position at the moment that I need to upgrade but don't know what to upgrade to. :mad: Bleh! I need something to handle metal and punk. As od now, thinking Fat Strat but that's guaranteed to change within a week or two if the past is anything to go by. :rolleyes:

They're like Mex Fenders. The quality varies greatly. I'm in the awkward position at the moment that I need to upgrade but don't know what to upgrade to. :mad: Bleh! I need something to handle metal and punk. As od now, thinking Fat Strat but that's guaranteed to change within a week or two if the past is anything to go by. :rolleyes:

Tom DeLonge strat. Just paint the bastard a non flaming colour :D

• Advertisement

Oh God no! Awful things. Might get a fat strat and plank a JB in the bridge. Nice and handy! :)

yeah defo go for the LP standard off ebay or chris guitars. Man I can assure you the LP is worth the money. They are great for a wide range of tunes and they've tone by the barrel full!!! The classic is also an excellent model. The pickups are a little hotter.

Defo have a look though man, The gibby's are well worth it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Eoin Madsen

Ah, now you see, that's where I'm going to be rather clever and once I get this guitar, I'll claim that it was a guitar I had bought over here and that it had to be sent back to the manufacturer. :D

Who are you going to claim this to? You'll pay the tax to the guys delivering, and they won't be able to negotiate. They'll tell you to pay (if you don't they keep your item or return to sender) and talk to Revenue about making a claim. Which will be difficult, cause the guys sending it in the US will have declared the contents, the nature of transaction, and the recipient's name and address (if they're a shop they're not going to put themselves on the line and commit fraud on your behalf). To send items out of the country and have them returned after repair etc without paying tax, you're technically supposed to obtain a permit anyway. Your item might slip through the net coming in, or it might not. I think you should assume you'll have to pay the taxes and if you don't it'll be a nice surprise. But otherwise, don't try messing with the Man! :)

Feylya, go into Musician Inc or Waltons and try an LP Studio against an LP Standard, same amp, same settings. You'll be pleasantly surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

dabhoys wrote:
    yeah defo go for the LP standard off ebay or chris guitars. Man I can assure you the LP is worth the money. They are great for a wide range of tunes and they've tone by the barrel full!!! The classic is also an excellent model. The pickups are a little hotter.

Defo have a look though man, The gibby's are well worth it!!

They sure are, I play my Les Paul through a Valvestate at the moment, and it still sounds sweet.

Arsebiscuits.

Well, 'twas worth considering, eh?

All victimless crime is! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

the amp has some pretty **** reviews..

http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data/Fender/FM_212R-01.html

my opinion is to scrap the pedals and put the money towards a better amp.. that is of course if you're dead set on the guitar..which i have never played so can't coment on.. I thought you weren't a fan of PRS.. if you don't like more expensive(ie better quality) ones then what makes you think you'd like the temonti one?

Merely on the word of a mate who really knows his stuff. Plus I like the look of that.

TBH, I couldn't live without pedals. And it's only one... What amp would you recommend so? Build me a rig, guitar, effects and amp for about a grand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

MG250DFX

i know you said you didn't like it but you can get a GREAT sound out of it once you mess around with it!! it also has built in effects reverb/delay/flange/chrous etc.. 400e.. its 100watt and is perfect for giggin and rehearsals..

72 TELE

Its an awesome guitar!!! but a little pricey..

or, depending on your type of music i would REALLY DEFINITELY recommend the

F3

Mavericks kick soooo much ass!! and great value at only 717..

ok i've gone over budget but the amp will get you a good sound and both guitars sound amazing!

or you can get the F1 which is even cheaper and just as good..

Advertisement