Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Should i bite the bullet in zurich?

Options
  • 01-07-2014 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭

Hi,

So im not having too much luck with linked in and a few others for i.t jobs.
    Should i just wing it and try my best when i get over there (not planning on going until sep or oct) Anyone in zurich think this is good or bad idea?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

zweton wrote: »
    Hi,

Should i just wing it and try my best when i get over there (not planning on going until sep or oct) Anyone in zurich think this is good or bad idea?

Been here for over 20 years! If you are looking for a permanent role, then you should know that the notice period is normally 3 months, so the recruiting process can be slow at times. And of course it also depends on your IT skills and whether they are in demand skills or not.

If you have any questions please post them and we'll try to answer them for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Hi,

I think this would be a bad idea considering Zurich is such an expensive place.

I would say your better off searching from Ireland since they'll normally have a relocation portion in the job offer.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

they'll normally have a relocation portion in the job offer.

Yes before the recession we used to even fly people in for interviews and tours of Zurich, but that was then and this is now. These days unless you are going for a very senior role, you'll find that relocation expenses are not very generous if at all at most companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

I think this would be a bad idea considering Zurich is such an expensive place.

I would say your better off searching from Ireland since they'll normally have a relocation portion in the job offer.

was thinking of booking into a hostel for a month or so to reduce costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

was thinking of booking into a hostel for a month or so to reduce costs.

Sorry to be harsh man, but what's the advantage is it going to give you? You're not going to walk around places handing in CVs, are you?

Check jobup.ch and others like it. Search using job keywords that relate to you - "Cisco", "SQL" etc.

Apply for jobs in English, even if the description is in German / French or even if they say the language is a requirement.

Tailor each application individually, adjusting your CV and cover letter to address the requirements in the job spec. Yes, it takes time and effort, but general applications generally fail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,746 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Definitely do not move to Zürich until you have a job. You will only be chucking your money away. Nothing is cheap. Most things are very expensive until you start pulling in a comparable Swiss wage.

keith16 wrote: »
    Sorry to be harsh man, but what's the advantage is it going to give you? You're not going to walk around places handing in CVs, are you?

Check jobup.ch and others like it. Search using job keywords that relate to you - "Cisco", "SQL" etc.

Apply for jobs in English, even if the description is in German / French or even if they say the language is a requirement.

Tailor each application individually, adjusting your CV and cover letter to address the requirements in the job spec. Yes, it takes time and effort, but general applications generally fail.

my thinking on this was to have a swiss address on my cv so i would be taken a bit more seriously, at least that way they would know im there.
    Also it would allow me get setup with a swiss phone number.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,746 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Recruitment is Switz can be a slow process. You could find that it takes a couple of months from applying for a role to actually starting the job. In that period you would need a lot of cash to keep you going. Seriously - do your job searching from home. Let the recruitment agencies do the local leg-work for you.

ok thanks guys :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

my thinking on this was to have a swiss address on my cv so i would be taken a bit more seriously, at least that way they would know im there.

In the grand scheme of things, not that important at all. The content of your CV in terms of skills and experience is much much more important.

Getting a Swiss phone number is only important once you secure work and are house-hunting over there! I would have done a number of interviews by phone, they call my Irish number. And I used skype a fair bit too.
    Recruitment is Switz can be a slow process. You could find that it takes a couple of months from applying for a role to actually starting the job. In that period you would need a lot of cash to keep you going. Seriously - do your job searching from home. Let the recruitment agencies do the local leg-work for you.

Fully agree with this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

A hostel address wouldn't be of much use anyway, you couldn't open a bank account or register with the City Hall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

You cant get anything set up until you have a permit so I'd advise against coming here first and then looking for work. Switzerland is a maze of red tape and rules.
    As already said, it's very expensive and there will probably be a delay to starting even if you were to find a job straight away.
    Best of luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 11 zeirtz

I haven't had a physical address on any CV since the invention of email. It won't matter. My advice would be to
    1. Google for jobs over there with skill + location
    2. Use Swiss job sites as others have suggested.
    3. Use your network on linkedin and see if there are 2nd or 3rd level contacts who work in the same area as your intended job function. Ping them directly and ask if any openings are coming up.

Advertisement