Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Newstalk frequencies

• 19-02-2014 4:05pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone noticed new Newstalk transmitters popping up around the country?

107.8 is now perfect in Tralee even though there is no 'old' transmitter in range

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

marno21 wrote: »
    Has anyone noticed new Newstalk transmitters popping up around the country?

107.8 is now perfect in Tralee even though there is no 'old' transmitter in range

Could it be a change in site?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

They would want to boost the frequencies down here in the south east.Bad reception most of the time, and if you do get it anyway clear, its at a lower volume than the others.

Sort this out guys before you start sending your presenters on junkets, here, there and everywhere....:D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    Could it be a change in site?
    Unlikely, there were 4 frequencies clear there before (107.0 from Woodcock Hill, 107.2 from Mish, 107.4 from Mullaghanish and 107.6 from Magera) 107.8 is now clear with RDS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭More Music

It's their new South Kerry transmitter. 107.8MHz from Kilkeveragh. Only on air in the last few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

More Music wrote: »
    It's their new South Kerry transmitter. 107.8MHz from Kilkeveragh. Only on air in the last few months.

I thought that was the frequency that the Healy-Rae's used?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Kilkeveragh isn't receivable pretty well in Kilgarvan and Kenmare. It's more of a Cahirciveen/Portmagee/Valentia/ southern Dingle peninsula transmitter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

Really?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

Please tell me there is a "Healy-Rae FM" in Kerry. And please god let there be podcasts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

touts wrote: »
    Please tell me there is a "Healy-Rae FM" in Kerry. And please god let there be podcasts!

And an interpreter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Do they not broadcast in stereo or is it only in some locations

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,542 ✭✭✭✭L1011

danjo-xx wrote: »
    Do they not broadcast in stereo or is it only in some locations

Mono everywhere. More efficient use of the limited amount of spectrum available to them. Really is all speech off mono microphones except for Tom Dunne's show anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭DownBeaten

Now if only they were to provide replacements for Yates and Hook!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭RED L4 0TH

It's coming in very well in the Westport area on 107.8. Wheres the transmitter I wonder, maybe co-located with the TV mast outside Castlebar? Theres also 107.2 from Kiltimagh. But that's poor enough in West Mayo, and theres no reception whatsoever in the lower areas of Westport town, unlike on 107.8.

Also picking it up strongly on 107.0 in Dundalk. Also on 107.4 from Mohercrome.

107.2 from Kiltimach should cover Castlebar and surrounding area so no need for there to be a seperate one at Croaghmoyle. Why they didn't use the RTE Croaghmoyle site from the beginning instead of wasting time cositing with 96.1 from Kiltimach. 107.8 is likely a seperate relay from Westport

107.0 is probably a seperate relay for Dundalk, cosited with LMFM on 96.5 from "Castlemount"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭RED L4 0TH

Marno, yes that would have made more sense alright. The Westport frequency on 107.8 has been going since at least early last year. Was looking for it and the Dundalk one on http://www.frequencyfinder.org.uk/ but they're not listed at all.

That frequency-finder site is handy but for the Irish section it has a lot of errors. Presumably cos a) the admin is likely UK based and b) frequency changes/additions in Ireland aren't very publicised.

No sign of Kilkeveragh on that list, nor Radio Kerry's 97.2 site from Slieve Mish which isn't that old is it? (only started in 2006 and no mention of it there)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭nikon1000

I've just noticed that Newstalk is in stereo on 107.2 here in Mayo. How long has this been happening?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

I dont know whats wrong with their frequencies, they have gotten worse again. I have to keep changing between 107.2 and 107.6, and even then they are at a much lower level.A few less junkets for some of the presenters and they might be able to update their transmitters.........:P

• Registered Users Posts: 27 carlowmanken

nikon1000 wrote: »
    I've just noticed that Newstalk is in stereo on 107.2 here in Mayo. How long has this been happening?

Are they allowed to do that? I thought the license stated they were either mono or stereo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭nikon1000

Are they allowed to do that? I thought the license stated they were either mono or stereo?

I noticed yesterday that it's back in mono. It didn't actually sound like stereo. There must have been just a pilot tone present, maybe testing or just a fault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Don't think that is in the licence - Newstalk was stereo on 106FM initially btw, mono suits the level of speech content and frequency allocation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭Antenna

Newstalk 106.4

Newstalk transmission for north-east Co. Cork has moved frequency from 107.0 down to 106.4 since I think last Thursday

Its a unique use of the 106.4 frequency for Newstalk (unlike 107.0/2/4/6/8 which have multiple Newstalk transmitters around the country)

http://www.newstalk.com/Are-you-in-Nagles-Time-to-move-the-dial-

Antenna wrote: »
    Newstalk 106.4

Newstalk transmission for north-east Co. Cork has moved frequency from 107.0 down to 106.4 since I think last Thursday

Its a unique use of the 106.4 frequency for Newstalk (unlike 107.0/2/4/6/8 which have multiple Newstalk transmitters around the country)
    Was about to post in the BANDSCAN thread, it's quite strong on the M8. Thought first it was a harmonic in my radio.

Surely ends any use of 106.5 by the pirate station in Mallow, and renders the 106.4 pirate in Cork on dodgy ground.

It's great to see because 107.0 was a pure mess in Charleville and along the N20 due to crosstalk between 107.0 from Nagles (now 106.4) and 107.0 from Woodcock Hill.

Antenna wrote: »
    Newstalk 106.4

http://www.newstalk.com/Are-you-in-Nagles-Time-to-move-the-dial-

Heres the frequencyfinder.org Irish radio frequencies list updated in January including Newstalk. In light of the above, the Nagles frequency is wrong now. Not sure if the Westport one (107.8) is correct though either.

http://www.frequencyfinder.org.uk/Irish_Radio.pdf

Advertisement