Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banter on the Radio

Options
  • 21-03-2014 10:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭

I usually don't listen to the radio but had no choice but to endure Colm Hayes show the other evening on the bus.He must have played only 8 or 9 songs in the 90 minutes I was listening and a large amount of time was taken up with tedious banter between him and the sports news reader and then more tedious banter between him and the host of the upcoming sports show.

Are Radio presenters encouraged by their bosses to indulge in this kind of crap or do they honestly feel that their audience wants to hear 2 grown men acting like 13 year olds slagging each other about 2 english soccer teams.In the time taken up by this banter he could have played some more music.

I honestly don't see how this kind of rubbish adds anything to radio, do people actually enjoy this sort of stuff or are some radio presenters so self absorbed that they don't realise their conversations with their pals probably aren't very interesting to most people.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭neris

banter/talk is the biggest pain in the hole with radio stations that play music. ian dempsey and ray arsey are notorious for not shutting the **** up after the news/sport. Dempsey along with the news and his "bgosh n bgora" buddy paul collins must get well past ten past 8 with their waffle then you have arsey with the newsreader who sounds like shes wishing the ground would open up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

Isn't that the point of Ray Darcy's show, its not just a music show?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Chris and Ivan are the kings of banter. Both are at times just one bad cup of coffee away from calling the c word at 8 o'clock in the morning. Enthrallingly childish stuff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭A.J.Plumb

Point of all this banter is an attempt to to take the mystique out of Radio.

It's not disembodied voices ..shure i'ts ould Ray an de sports guy slaggin the arzes orf themselves.

Jeeze ..Ray ..not stuck up at all ..just like one of our own..wasn't he slaggin sports guy about United the other day.

Just ordinary lads havin de chat...like

Chris and Ivan are the kings of banter. Both are at times just one bad cup of coffee away from calling the c word at 8 o'clock in the morning. Enthrallingly childish stuff.

mmm ?

Obviously a set up and agreed between the two.

It's a bit like "Good cop Bad cop" but Chris and Ivan play it as "Old Fogey / Young Pretender .

Of course this scenario is agreed before hand and boundaries set out.

I mean you will never hear Chris ( however provoked) say "You ****ed off to Britain to excape your debts".

Or Ivan say "You jumped up arrogant little cnunt".

So ..take the "banter" wir a grain of the you know what and see it for what it is ...staged ..and designed to dupe the listener .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

2 grown men acting like 13 year olds slagging each other about 2 english soccer teams.In the time taken up by this banter he could have played some more music..

It's cringe inducing hearing two Irish people slagging each other about "their" team.
    Colm Hayes sure loves his "Man U"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

A.J.Plumb wrote: »
    mmm ?

Obviously a set up and agreed between the two.

It's a bit like "Good cop Bad cop" but Chris and Ivan play it as "Old Fogey / Young Pretender .

Of course this scenario is agreed before hand and boundaries set out.

I mean you will never hear Chris ( however provoked) say "You ****ed off to Britain to excape your debts".

Or Ivan say "You jumped up arrogant little cnunt".

So ..take the "banter" wir a grain of the you know what and see it for what it is ...staged ..and designed to dupe the listener .
    I see what you mean but there's times where Ivan has had a dig at Chris and an awkward pause before the next sentence is uttered suggests there's a bit of genuine dislike in there. Their particular "banter" is so out of place it's fantastic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

I see what you mean but there's times where Ivan has had a dig at Chris and an awkward pause before the next sentence is uttered suggests there's a bit of genuine dislike in there. Their particular "banter" is so out of place it's fantastic.

You can tell Ivan is getting in sledging criticism of Chris, and Chris doesn't even realise it.

Ivan was telling us this morning that Chris was going on holidays for a few weeks. And how he would miss him in the mornings, and hes mangling of words!

He really looks down at Chris, I'd say ivan can't believe this guy landed a job anchoring a breakfast show on a national station!

You can tell Ivan is getting in sledging criticism of Chris, and Chris doesn't even realise it.

Ivan was telling us this morning that Chris was going on holidays for a few weeks. And how he would miss him in the mornings, and hes mangling of words!

He really looks down at Chris, I'd say ivan can't believe this guy landed a job anchoring a breakfast show on a national station!

Fair play to Chris he has his moments but he is sound in my opinion.
    Yates is a sour cove...has a fookin nerve coming on National radio given his background.

Whats with the house in Wex Yates...hanging on to it ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

A.J.Plumb wrote: »
    Fair play to Chris he has his moments but he is sound in my opinion.
    Yates is a sour cove...has a fookin nerve coming on National radio given his background.

Whats with the house in Wex Yates...hanging on to it ?

Ya some nerve alright....what with AIB refusing 90c to the euro to cover he's debts.

Chris would be alright doing the breakfast show on two FM or local radio. He just doesn't cut it when covering serious topics on a national news breakfast show.

He's constantly mangling he's words and going round the houses when asking a question, simply because he doesn't know how to ask it properly.

Ivan covers all the serious topics now,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I find most radio stations are full of talk.
    I was flicking through all seven stations pre-programmed in my car the other day and I couldn't find ONE station playing music!
    All talk and shoite.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

soc160 wrote: »
    Isn't that the point of Ray Darcy's show, its not just a music show?

Boom. It is a music and talk show. Hence they have guests. It is both. Light entertainment, with music.

Chris doesn't like Ivan anymore. And vice-versa. The duo won't be there for too much longer anyway. Chris has to keep his composure, but he finds it hard to sit and work with a muppet who ran off when things went pear-shaped.

But no, it is not set-up and scripted, no matter how much you may see that Newstalk would want scandal, ratings, and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Vunderground

It's been so much better since Chris went on holidays. Two adults presenting makes such a nice change.

It's really hard to put up with the Chris's inability to pronounce the most common words properly and as for 'the banter'....Radio4 is the winner but this last week Breakfast on Newtalk has been so much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Les Ferdinand

Ivan and Liverpool's Phil Thompson banter today was cringworthy. Ivan is a grown up men trying to sound like a 16 year old slagging off
    Liverpool and "Man U"

• Registered Users Posts: 16,775 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

The awful banter between those two spoofers Joe and Keith is what forced me to stop listening to Phantom in the mornings. You could probably trace the demise of the station to the new directive of 'banterification'.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Les Ferdinand

The banter between Dr Raymond D'Arcy and the newsreaders Sinead Spain and Juliet Gash is horrendous. The newsreaders just want to run away

The banter between Dr Raymond D'Arcy and the newsreaders Sinead Spain and Juliet Gash is horrendous. The newsreaders just want to run away

Dr Raymond ??sFun_abduct2_zps7c4a754b.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭LeakyGee

'Banter' is essential. When done properly it makes a radio show.

Advertisement