Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

expansion vessel air valve stuck

Options
  • 30-06-2013 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭

We have a pumped water system in our house, with an expansion vessel fitted. I tried to check the air pressure in the vessel, because the pressure release valve is dripping water and I wanted to check if the vessel might be causing a problem. Anyway, when I tried to check the valve, it appears to be stuck. I can press in the little nozzle, but no air comes out, or no water either for that matter. Am I likely to need a new vessel?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 259 ✭✭corkplumber

tipperary wrote: »
    We have a pumped water system in our house, with an expansion vessel fitted. I tried to check the air pressure in the vessel, because the pressure release valve is dripping water and I wanted to check if the vessel might be causing a problem. Anyway, when I tried to check the valve, it appears to be stuck. I can press in the little nozzle, but no air comes out, or no water either for that matter. Am I likely to need a new vessel?

if no air comes out and no water its empty and needs to be charged.
    If you do get water coming out then you can try re-pressurising it but it is more than likely that the diaphragm is punctured or split and then entire vessel will require changing.

so my guess is it just needs to be presurised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

You will also need to drain down water from the vessel to charge otherwise you will only read system pressure & not vessel pressure.

Are you talking about the heating system vessel or the domestic hot water cylinder vessel?

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭tipperary

Thanks for the feedback. One more question though, in order to recharge the vessel, will I need to fully drain down the cylinder? If it could be done by just turning off the pump and running the taps for a while to relieve some of the pressure it would be a lot easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Needs to be empty. But running the taps till they stop and leaving them on to take the expansion will work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Diaphram should be ok. If it was leaking then water would also come out the air valve. Pump it up with air like the others said either taps open & water off.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

if it was the valve 'stuck' they do screw out and can be replaced (about €1 in a bike shop or motor factors, called a shreader valve)

Thanks all. Had forgotten about them valves coming out easily enough - been a while since I used to be fixing me bmx! Reckon I'll pick up one of them valves before going at the job just in case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

Set pressure to 1.0 bar.

Thanks all. Got the system pumped up with a compressor and all working well now. There was zero air in the tank, and the bladder was pushed up against the valve!

Advertisement