Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Well Pump Advice

• 08-07-2013 9:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭

I need some advice on a well pump issue.

A house I bought last year and had the whole place replumbed. However, I was holding off on replacing the pump bringing water from the well.

Reasons:

1. Its a shallow well, and I would like to see how it preforms during a dry summer. Last year, that did not happen, and so far this year its quite good. But I won't pass judgement until September.

2. The well itself is 20 feet deep and normally holds between 6 and 10 feet of water. My main concern is that if it ran close to empty, it would take quite some time fill up - about 24 hours. I did this once when I power hosed the house which I would consider an exceptional amount of water and something I would rarely do.

The plan was:

- Hang on until September and see how it goes.

- Then based on the water levels, make a decision to either bore a deep well - at great expense, or replace the existing very loud and noisy pump with a submersible in the shallow well.

The problem:

- yesterday morning I was down the country and got a phone call to say there was no water. I said to knock off the power, and I would look at it when I got home.

- When I got home, I found 7 feet of water in the well. The foot valve is two feet off the bottom. I don't know if it empty and filled up while I was away or if the pump just gave up - it is an old pump.

- When I turned on the power, it made a low humming sound (its normally quite loud) and nothing was really happening. So I turned off the power and stuck a screen driver into the side and turned the fly wheel - it was quite stiff - so I think it ceased up. I turned on the power, and it built pressure for about 5 minutes and it ceased up again. So I managed to get some water into the tank for the toilets. I'll probably do the same again this evening - but I will not be able to sustain a washing machine or dishwasher - anything that runs off the mains basically.

I don't think I am ready to make a decision on what to do - I am willing to bore a well, but I'd prefer not to if the existing well is sustainable.

So what I'm looking for is the cheapest possible solution to get by for three months.

Any idea of the cost of replacing a well pump?

Is it a difficult job? (an hours work or a days work) - The existing pump is accessible.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 259 ✭✭corkplumber

i would say ball park 500 euro to replace pump. Are you sure the well is running dry and pump/system does not need to be serviced.

IF YOU ARE CONFIDENT well running dry. Rain wter harvesting may be a thing to think about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

Had to bite bullet. Spent 300 fitting a new Speroni shallow well pump.

I'm going to have to wait until September to see how the well performs over the summer.

Everything back up and running now anyway.

Thank God - the heat is unreal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 259 ✭✭corkplumber

filtering the rainwater and then recharging it directly into the borewell maybe off beifit. you would need to assess roof area ect before commencement. i have seen it succesfully done on a couple of properties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

At the moment I'm going to wait and see. Its a shallow well and is doing quite ok so far. Although the water table is dropping every day at the moment. I'll make my decision in September on weather I should bore a deep well or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Colm R wrote: »
    At the moment I'm going to wait and see. Its a shallow well and is doing quite ok so far. Although the water table is dropping every day at the moment. I'll make my decision in September on weather I should bore a deep well or not.

Look out at the sky.
    Its bucket & spade time. Just get the kids out digging a "MAGIC HOLE IN THE GARDEN " 50' deep
    Beach to crowded anyway!

• Advertisement
Advertisement