Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flee tablet??????????

Options
  • 08-09-2011 9:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭

seen a local groomer and also pet shop selling these tablets, they claim to work after 15 mins and last a yr?????? im a bit septical about them, seem to be to good to be true. they are made by, i think, johnson. Has anyone used or heard about them

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

No but i would be hesitant , imo any chemical which is strong enough to kill fleas for a year and stay in your dog for the year , couldnt be healthy long run.
    Just get the drops you put on the back of the neck once a month or so , stonghold its called i think, i use them and never had a problem with fleas etc yet

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Not sure of the brand?

Capstar, by Novartis, is nitenpyram, and will kill all fleas on your animal in 30 minutes. It doesn't last for a year, but it's great for rapid knockdown of fleas on an infested animal.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

No but i would be hesitant , imo any chemical which is strong enough to kill fleas for a year and stay in your dog for the year , couldnt be healthy long run.
    Just get the drops you put on the back of the neck once a month or so , stonghold its called i think, i use them and never had a problem with fleas etc yet
    thats what i use, just seen this advertised and was just wondering had anyone used them.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

Personally I'd be very skeptical. Maybe it does work in 15 minutes but I highly doubt that it lasts for a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Yeah, the tablets are Johnson 4 fleas, they start to kill fleas within 15 minutes, all fleas should be dead within 24 hours... but it does not last a year, it's only 100% effective for about a day afaik. The reason some people (me being one of them :) )prefer this is that it is a lower dose of the pesticide and will not linger on your pet's coat, which if you pet them where it's applied and not wash your hands afterward, can end up in you or your kids. If you look at all the warnings on the majority of the flea drops, you can see how bad they are.

However, as this does not provide long term protection, I follow up with 4 fleas protector drops (http://www.petconnection.ie/acatalog/copy_of_Flea_Treatments.html - they have the drops and tablets on the site). They do not kill fleas, but they act as a flea birth control if you would. They do not allow the egg casing to develop properly, so they cannot reproduce. You will still have adult fleas bite, but you will stop the reproduction cycle, which will eventually stop the flea infestation. Good news, one treatment lasts 3 months, and you can use it in conjunction with the tablets to kill the adult fleas. However, as the tablets still contain a fairly toxic pestiside, I would not use these regularly, maybe once a week for a few weeks if it's a severe infestation and you or your cat has alergies to to the flea bites. If there are adult fleas on your cat, have a bowl of soapy water to hand, and comb your cat with a flea comb, checking after each brush for fleas caught. Grab the flea and drop it into the soapy water, it will die fairly quickly and won't be able to jump out. Also worth a try would be the 4 fleas household spray for carpets, curtains, pet areas and soft furnishing, as it has ingredients to both kill adult fleas and to stop the reproduction cycle.

I had an infestation problem (my cat came back from the vet after neutering covered in fleas, and none of the normal drops like advantage or household sprays would kill them! I think I had some super indestrucible fleas!) I found the drops and tablets where the only thing that worked, given time, and I bathed them every week in flea repellent shampoo (but unless you have bathed your cat since they were a kitten, you may end up clawed to bits!). The only product I haven't tried is the 4fleas household spray, as when I had the problem, they were only selling the products in England and they would not ship araesol products.

• Advertisement
Advertisement