Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Need to re-home our dog

Options
  • 06-09-2011 9:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭

Have had German Shepherd mutt for about 6 months but daughter is no longer taking care of him and we are having all kinds of problems with him killing hens, eating garden furniture etc.

Have decided best to send him to a new home but don't know how to do this or who to contact. Would people normally bring them to the nearest dog pound or animal shelter?

Any advice welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

OK I am going to try to be as non-judgemental as possible here!!!
    At 6mths old , dog is still a pup - were you not prepared for the work & training that has to be put into a dog? Have you got advice from a trainer or vet?

Dog is most likely understimulated & bored.

If you surrender to the pound, if not rehomed within 24 hours they can be put to sleep.
    Suggest you contact the likes of Dog Trust to see if they have a space but all rescues are full to the brim at the moment with people abandoning dogs or enjoying them for the first couple of wks & then not prepared for the work involved in owning them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Just to clarify - the OP has had the dog for 6 months, they don't say how old the dog is.

Builderfromhell could you maybe give a little more information about the dog? How old is the dog? (is it still a pup?)
    Is your daughter a child or a grown up? Who got the dog - you or your daughter?

Obviously there are so many dogs that are out there that need rehoming, most shelters/pounds etc. are pretty full so if possible I would try and keep the dog until you can find a suitable home for it.
    We do have a rehoming thread on this forum, and you could also ask relatives/friends if they or someone they know might be able to provide a home for the dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Dogs need stimulation, human company, walks and attention. Is you daughter an adult or a child? A dog should never be purchased for a child as the adult always ends up doing the work.
    Your dog is bored. Could you not take on some of the responsibility, walk the dog a couple of times a day, great for the heart and weight, play a bit, it'll really lift your mood, do some training?
    IF you really didn't do your research and bought this puppy as a toy for someone without the maturity to take on a 10-15 year committment then try Dogs Trust, Dogs In Distress and please don't give it to a pound.
    I am being very nice here.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

:mad: :mad:

have you ever heard of RESPONSIBILITIES ? why did you get a dog in the first place ? spoilt child ?

Sorry but I just cannot pretend not to be judgmental on this one ....

falabo wrote: »
    :mad: :mad:

have you ever heard of RESPONSIBILITIES ? why did you get a dog in the first place ? spoilt child ?

Sorry but I just cannot pretend not to be judgmental on this one ....

Post a helpful post or don't post at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

The pound will put him to sleep if he does not find a home quick enough so I would be going for a rescue. I am not sure if there is one dedicated to german shepherd in Ireland or not.
    Where are you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

star-pants wrote: »
    Post a helpful post or don't post at all.

I'll post whatever I like. I feel extremely strongly about responsible pet ownership.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Irish-Lass

Actually just to make a point - Any dog that is surrendered into a pound can be pts straight away. Stray dogs are given 5 days.

How old is the dog.
    Is the dog neutered
    Is the dog walked daily

The mere fact it is eating the garden furniture is a sign its bored out of its skull. I assume its just dumped out the back garden (you can correct me)

Most rescues are full to over flowing at the moment with dogs who are being dumped cause they have lost their appeal or have turned out to be more work then people are prepared to make.

Contact local rescues and see if they can help but DO NOT expect there to be a quick fix most rescues are full and there is a waiting list of dogs to come into them. DO NOT expect a rescue to pay you for the privilege of you dumping the dog on them they are a rescue (even if it is a pedigree). If you do get the dog into a rescue make sure you make a contribution to the rescue who you are off loading your dog on - after all if its not neutered they are going to have to foot the bill for it and look after any vet bills that are occured i.e. vaccinations, worming, flea treatments.

falabo wrote: »
    I'll post whatever I like. I feel extremely strongly about responsible pet ownership.

Whilst most of us do feel strongly about responsible pet ownership other posters were able to respond expressing that but also trying to be helpful. You were not. Do not ignore Mod warnings again. You may take a short break.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

OP, I think it's time to man up here and take responsibility and teach your daughter the same. Too many people in Ireland see dogs as disposable.

Pounds and rescues are overflowing with healthy animals given up by their owners when the novelty wore off. Over 5,000 were put to sleep in county pounds last year and judging by the numbers this year it'll be alot higher. http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/LocalGovernment/DogControl/

Your dog is wrecking furniture and killing hens because he's bored and you let him.

Whatever help you need to make this work and keep your dog people here will be able to direct you but please don't think that just deciding to send him to a new home is a simple decision because it just shows how little you know about the dog situation in Ireland.

Here's some places to try but I can guarantee you they're all full! http://www.irishanimals.ie/general/index.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

OP where are you based, maybe someone could recommend a trainer - and if you get a trainer and involve your daughter I'm sure she'd be so stunned at how well your dog does she'll be delighted with him again.

If you do need to re-home him then please don't put him in a pound. He is very likely to be PTS immediately considering he is a surrender and an RB.

You will need to sit down with a pen paper and a phone and call everyone on this list http://www.irishanimals.ie/general/index.html

Be prepared to take no for an answer from most if not all of them. If you're lucky one will have a space which just opened up and will take him. If someone does, please make a contribution to them.

The ideal would be for you to find a home for him yourself, by taking a rescue space you're denying another dog that space. So if possible, rehome him yourself. There is a rehoming thread in this forum and you can also try through here http://www.facebook.com/IrishAnimalShelters

If you're willing to work on it, please believe me that it can get much better with a bit of effort and you'll be setting such a great example for your daughter too. You can get loads of advice here on how to make it work in your home.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

we have, well my son a gsd that is coming up to a yr. the first 6-7 months were hard with her as she was very energetic, very very clever and also cried every morning till we go up. sometimes from 5am. at times we were at are wits end with her, but we never gave up as we could see the potential in her and also knew that it was are fault she was the way she was. we got her spayed which did quiten her down a bit. we made sure she wasnt bored.brought her on lots of little walks, as many new walks as we could so she wouldnt get bored. found she loved swimimg. also though i hate it as all my other dogs are inside she is happier to sleep out side in her kennel. we also brought her to classes, aint done much with them yet as they were finished for summer but they will be back on prob soon. so if u can possible stick with it gsd make fantastic pets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

Hi builderfromhell,

I got my dog from the pound, she was so wild and resentfull and basically terrified that I finally asked a dog rescue to take and rehome her. They refused.
    So I took a deep breath and persevered.

She nibbled at my best shoes, which I usually left around the place, and taught me to tidy up :rolleyes:.
    She actually ate my wallet and especially my driving license, just caught her before she nibbled to death a fifty Euro note.
    She shat on the rug beside the table where guests where having breakfast.

She dug out my carefully planted flowers and shrubs in the garden.
    She ransacked the wheely bin.

She tried to attack everyone who came near her new territory - dogs, cats and humans.

In short, she was a pain in the backside.

It took me six months to get her to trust me, another six months to be a good girl, well, sort of...:D

Now she is the most affectionate dog I can imagine. I can even leave my shoes out all over the place without her even looking at them. She follows me everywhere and made friends with other dogs and with my friends an neighbours.
    I'm still ashamed that I ever considered to give her away.

Take your time with the dog. Give him the patience, space and care to get used to you. He needs to learn your ways as you need to learn his ways.
    Eventually you'll have a friend for life.

(Unlike a daughter... wait until she brings home the boyfriends...:D)

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭steph1

+1 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Kitiara

Ok-if you have tried everything, and you have made the informed decision not to keep her please contact me. I can get her into a rescue where she will find a good and safe home. please don't put her up as free to good home. GSD's are one of the favorite breed for dog fighting rings to use as baite dogs..and their end is horrific.You can contact me on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

At the end of the day if you are going to give him up please dont go to the pound , it is a death sentance,,there are plenty of shelters out there that will give him the best chance at a good home...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Carry wrote: »
    Hi builderfromhell,

I got my dog from the pound, she was so wild and resentfull and basically terrified that I finally asked a dog rescue to take and rehome her. They refused.

She nibbled at my best shoes, which I usually left around the place, and taught me to tidy up :rolleyes:.
    She actually ate my wallet and especially my driving license, just caught her before she nibbled to death a fifty Euro note.

She tried to attack everyone who came near her new territory - dogs, cats and humans.

It took me six months to get her to trust me, another six months to be a good girl, well, sort of...:D

Now she is the most affectionate dog I can imagine. I can even leave my shoes out all over the place without her even looking at them. She follows me everywhere and made friends with other dogs and with my friends an neighbours.

Take your time with the dog. Give him the patience, space and care to get used to you. He needs to learn your ways as you need to learn his ways.

Good post there Carry.
    Sounds like I've got a dog from the same family as yours:)
    Have spoken with daughter about outcome of bringing dog to pound and this has led to some work on her part to feed him etc.
    I am resigned to the fact that I will be the one walking him, cleaning kennels etc.
    Regret ever having given in to daughter and gotten her a dog. She was begging me for years. I am not an animal lover but get very upset when I see another dead hen in yard. That's five hens killed now and one limping from savaged leg.
    Have clipped hens wings but they still manage to get out by getting on coop roofs first.

On a seperate topic, I admit that I am not an animal lover, but do not understand why people get so upset about one dog being put down when the animal has killed 5 hens and maimed another. Aren't the hens entitled to a peaceful life too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Can you give more info on the dog and your location please. The dog I got from the pound was handed in by previous owners for killing a hen and I haven't had any problems with him. He was fine after a few weeks of plenty of walking and stimulation pm if you wish.

Good post there Carry.
    Sounds like I've got a dog from the same family as yours:)
    Have spoken with daughter about outcome of bringing dog to pound and this has led to some work on her part to feed him etc.
    I am resigned to the fact that I will be the one walking him, cleaning kennels etc.
    Regret ever having given in to daughter and gotten her a dog. She was begging me for years. I am not an animal lover but get very upset when I see another dead hen in yard. That's five hens killed now and one limping from savaged leg.
    Have clipped hens wings but they still manage to get out by getting on coop roofs first.

On a seperate topic, I admit that I am not an animal lover, but do not understand why people get so upset about one dog being put down when the animal has killed 5 hens and maimed another. Aren't the hens entitled to a peaceful life too.

Hiya,

let me know how you get on. If it is not going to go to satisfaction i will take him to rescue. people get upset if a dog gets put down unnecessary. this dog can easily be re-homed into an enviroment where there are no hens. There are more than 10,000 dogs being put down in Ireland every year.Let's try and bring that down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

Have had German Shepherd mutt for about 6 months but daughter is no longer taking care of him and we are having all kinds of problems with him killing hens, eating garden furniture etc.

Have decided best to send him to a new home but don't know how to do this or who to contact. Would people normally bring them to the nearest dog pound or animal shelter?

Any advice welcome.
    german shepherd/labs are used for police work,rescue services,and hearing/blind dogs ect,i know they[young dogs] are always asked for by those services in england,is there a counterpart in ireland ? if so its worth a phone call.

• Advertisement

Yes the hens are entitled to a quiet life. What training or steps towards separating the two (besides a coop they can escape from) have you taken? It's not the dogs fault he's killing hens in fairness.

I'm glad you've decided against the pound. Hopefully you'll manage to work things out, if not best of luck with finding a rescue space. Kitiara do you have a space lined up for the dog?

Where in the country are you. Might be able to get some help finding a trainer. One session would make a major difference. It's like a veil lifts and you realise "I CAN actually control this dog" (I had a mad one too) you just feel so much better. You could surprise yourself and really enjoy it. :D

Yes I have a space for him/her. i run a transport page on Facebook, we transport dogs from pounds to rescue, rescue to rescue or rescue to owner(after home check) and work with pretty much all rescue's in Ireland. Sheps are never difficult to place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Carry wrote: »
    Hi builderfromhell,

What a brilliant post WELL DONE :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Carol555

Good post there Carry.
    Regret ever having given in to daughter and gotten her a dog. She was begging me for years.
    I can see your point but I have to say that it was a little bit naive of you to think that your daughter will take full responsibility for the dog. Unfortunately, in a majority of cases the parent ends up looking after the dog when the novelty wears off. The milk has spilled now though.
    I would definitely use this as an opportunity to teach your daughter a little bit of responsibility. Not sure how old is she but I was 8 years old when my parents gave in to my pleads and got a dog. The story was very similar except for the fact that my parents wouldn't take no for an answer when I was too lazy to bring him for a walk. It's a good lesson for kids, it makes them think about consequences, just as adult life will require from them.
    The thing is, that both dog and hens belong to a human. It's this human's responsibility to ensure that nobody gets hurt either by securing hens or training the dog not to chase them. So if human fails why holding the dog responsible? The same dog with a bit of training might let the hens peck on his head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

Kitiara wrote: »
    Yes I have a space for him/her. i run a transport page on Facebook, we transport dogs from pounds to rescue, rescue to rescue or rescue to owner(after home check) and work with pretty much all rescue's in Ireland. Sheps are never difficult to place.

Is it possible for you to name the rescue in question? I know rescues up and down the country are stuffed to the brim with dogs and contrary to what you say I would have thought sheps would be hard to place as I don't think they are the easiest dogs to find homes for here. I'm just surprised that you have managed to find a space so quickly.

This may be constroversial but in my opinion, a dog would be better off humanely put to sleep than end up in one in some of the places that pass for a rescue in this country :(

Vel wrote: »
    Is it possible for you to name the rescue in question? I know rescues up and down the country are stuffed to the brim with dogs and contrary to what you say I would have thought sheps would be hard to place as I don't think they are the easiest dogs to find homes for here. I'm just surprised that you have managed to find a space so quickly.

This may be constroversial but in my opinion, a dog would be better off humanely put to sleep than end up in one in some of the places that pass for a rescue in this country :(

The rescue would be either:
    Animal heaven animal rescue (killarney)
    Mayo SPCA (mayo)
    Celtic animal lifeline (specializes in sheppies)(dublin)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

Thanks. Gill is excellent. I hope she is able to take him in.

Kitiara Would really like your FB page for future reference. PM if you like. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,822 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Mayo SPCA (mayo)

Have Mayo SPCA improved ? Their 2009 PTS rate was 50 %

OP I am going to be honest & go against some of the advice that you have been given. I am very concerned regarding your dog. I think that it is wrong to expect anyone who isn't an animal lover to look after a dog & a GSD needs a lot of consistent one on one attention. My worry is that he will develop from an unruly teenager into a very difficult adult.

Even at his young age, a rescue will already need to devote time to correct some of his behaviour. But their job will be much harder in six months time. He has to have constant, positive interaction from someone who knows what they are doing or will devote the time to find out. He needs to be in your home & in your heart 24/7, not in the yard or a kennel. Please do not consider selling him or giving him away in Limerick except to a rescue. As a restricted breed he wouldn't last 24 hrs in Limerick Pound.

I would urge you & your daughter to consider what is best for this dog. You got him & you know that you are now responsible for his future. There are posters here that can find him a good home & personally I sense that this would be the best option. If you are determined to keep him then please start a training class asap. It's no disgrace to have made a mistake especially when it's not to late to do the right thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

Mayo SPCA (mayo)
    has any of these rescues actually confirmed that they have a place for him?

Advertisement