Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

this type of hover effect

Options
  • 31-05-2010 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    Looking to do something like this, hover over effect.
    but not usisng images for the menu items, i could use image for the arrow.

Any ideas? or links to where something similar is used?

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Simple css. Different image as background for the hover of the anchor. You could probably adapt it from this http://www.projectseven.com/tutorials/css/uberlinks/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

#nav_container /* The Dark Blue */
    {
        background-color: #37C0F4;
        height: 40px;
    }

#nav /* The Light Blue /*
    {
        background-color:#E5F6FD;
        height:30px;
        padding-bottom: 10px;
    }

#nav ul li a /* The menu item */
    {
      height: 34px; /* This height should be the height of the #nav style + height of the background image */
      line-height: 22px;
    }

#nav ul li a:hover
    {
        background: url("../img/menuHover.gif") no-repeat scroll center bottom transparent
    }

The menuHover.gif image is a 7x4px (or whatever size you like) arrow with transparent pixels around the arrow.

If you make a different height arrow, remember to change #nav ul li a 's height to reflect it.

Essentially you're making the LI elements taller so they overflow into the dark blue of the #nav container and then placing the background image (a downfacing arrow) right at the bottom (the tip of the arrow will be at the bottom of the element). If you get your heights right, there will be no gap between the light & dark blue and it should look like your picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

Thanks Guys,
    I didnt want to use extra phantom space under the menu but i guess thats the easiest option.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Placebo wrote: »
    Thanks Guys,
    I didnt want to use extra phantom space under the menu but i guess thats the easiest option.

It really is the easiest option, in fact I'm not sure how else you'd manage it without going down the javascript route and it's a whole lot of effort that a little overflow fixes :D

For posterity, here's the result when I firebug'd a site I made with upward facing arrows.

Advertisement