Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Site Advice: Static/Dynamic

Options
  • 01-06-2010 8:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi all,

I'd simply like to here the forum's thoughts and advice for an approach on building a website.

Experience: Basic HTML/CSS, very basic Javascript. I can usually grasp the use of programs pretty fast eg. Dreamweaver,Expression.
    The Website: Fairly simple menus that I can do myself from tutorials etc. I'm also ok with layout I think. So my main question is whether to make a static site or a dynamic site.

The site would be something like a review site. Lots of review articles possibly added by several different people. I'd like the user to be able to search using keywords for articles. So from what I've read I think I should use a database for easy searching, lots of reviews to backup and maybe user comments. A problem is I'm not sure how a database would deliver a full page article to a webpage.All the tutorials/articles I've come across have just explained the link with PHP/SQL but no specifics. The other approach I think is to write up the articles directly into pages.Which wouldn't be too hard but it would be handy to have all that review data seperate to the webpage formatting etc.

Note: I'd like to learn a lot as I attempt to make this site so using wizards,totally pre-made solutions would not be my first choice nor would using a CMS like Joomla or Drupal.

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

Note: I'd like to learn a lot as I attempt to make this site so using wizards,totally pre-made solutions would not be my first choice nor would using a CMS like Joomla or Drupal.

If your going to have multiple persons entering reviews and contributing articles I honestly WOULD recommend using a CMS system of some description.

AND if you are doing it RIGHT you will learn alot from the experience which would IMHO be more benificial to you in the long term for other projects.

Spend time learning the templating systems, module & plugin management and how to secure the systems, backup installation of the databases etc and you will be learning, and quite possibly on a recognized CMS system that will benefit you on future projects.

Most CMS solutions will do alot out of the box, but customizing it to suit your needs is key..and depending on what you want to achieve can range from easy to VERY difficult and time consuming.

You can of course you could always write your own CMS, but why re-invent the wheel ? .. unless time is not a factor at all ?

I know experienced developers that have spent months on systems that work but are fairly basic in design, and in honestly does not sound like you have experience in database / dynamic sites (correct me if I'm wrong).

You could go down the route of Adobe Contribute / Dreamweaver / manual html entry etc .. but are all the writers expected to know, install and buy licenses to use it ?.

My 2 cents ... take it as how you like :)

Good luck

Advertisement